So Is It Lost?

Ok, im inactive. Have been for a year'ish. So whats the story on the Priesthood? before my wifes surgeries, i didnt feel like i could do a blessing. i had been inactive and just felt like it wouldn't "take" you know? is that how it works? and, when i do make it back does it kick back in or is there a worthiness meeting? how does all this work?

oh, and im taking small steps. i contacted my home teacher, who is my friend and let him know if he wanted to come by sometime and do home teachings i was cool with it now.

Speedo! Out

P/s i hope people make it down this far on the boards to read things!

As a Bishop once told me, "You never lose the your priesthood, only you can deny it". So saying that I would say if you are living worthy of your Priesthood oath then you are still worthy to exercise the priesthood. I have also been told to encourage men that are inactive to use the priesthood for doing good. Such as blessing family members and so on. It really is between Heavenly Father and you, and I am willing to bet he would be pleased seeing you use your priesthood to comfort someone. Also most Bishops if you are reactivating will give you an interview (meeting to chat), even if you don't think you are in one you are. At that point you can discuss any worthiness issues with him if you choose.

So if a person is not fully active as yet, but is still living the gospel, and upholding his priesthood oath, then he can exercise his priesthood to give a blessing of comfort? Of course the ideal is that the person would become fully active again...

Garden Girl

My question would be "Can a person really uphold the oath and covenant of the priesthood if he's not attending church? Going to church is a commandment, not just a good idea. No only that, but it's the only place where we can partake of the sacrament and renew our baptismal covenants. If we're not attending church, with the exception of physical issues, we either don't believe the gospel, have a worthiness issue, or don't believe our covenants to be all that important. I'm not sure we are upholding the priesthood if we fall into one of those categories.

So to answer the question, no, you shouldn't give a priesthood blessing if you aren't attending church. You haven't lost the priesthood authority, but you've lost the keys, or rights, to excercise that authority.

The jason I agree with most of your statement with the exception of sacrament. I've personally blessed the sacrament and partook of said sacrament in the middle of the bush in N.C.. With mind you a Bishop and most of the Boy Scouts. One of the best sacrament meetings I've ever had. Music was a little rusty but heart felt. :)

Your priesthood power relies on your faith and worthiness. What if you were in a place where you couldn't attend church. would your priesthood power be diminished? not if you are living a worthy and righteous life. If you are feeling like you can't do it, then it would be a good idea to strengthen your faith. Return to church and meet with the bishop to discuss your situation, so you can get yourself on the right path and be more in tune with the spirit.

The thing to remember is you never know when you may be called to use the priesthood so you must live a life worthy to to use it, to ensure that others don't miss out on Gods blessings because of your actions.

• 2 weeks later...