The queen

Jamie123

She was a rare breed and will leave a massive hole to fill. She did her duty to the very end and found her rest in her beloved Scotland. I'm sure the usual suspects will be along to take their passive aggressive digs just shortly, but she will be sorely missed. 

Long live the King. 

Edited by NoMiddleName

On 9/8/2022 at 9:04 PM, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I hope the British people will finally establish a Constitutional Republic.

It's not going to happen. A few years ago they tried to abolish the Lord Chancellor, but the paperwork made it a dozen times more trouble than it was worth. To abolish the monarchy would be a hundred times worse. It would make Brexit look like a doddle!

Edited by Jamie123

I'm grateful for the Queen's decision to remove prince andrew's patronages and military titles, as a result of his abuse of underage Epstein Island girls.

Not all mommies have the strength to help provide consequences to their criminal abuser children.  Queen Elizabeth II's legacy includes having that strength.  That is not a small thing.

Edited by NeuroTypical

That’s unfortunate.  It seems to me that in this day and age, the best a monarch can do is to personally embody the very best of their nation’s traditional values in their personal lives and remind their subjects of all that is good and uplifting about their nation’s heritage and culture.  Queen Elizabeth II did this gracefully.  

As for Mad Prince Chuckie—frankly, I’m not even sure he likes his country all that much.  Either he will need to learn some qualities like “virtue” and “restraint” and “self-discipline” and “quiet dignity” that he has never demonstrated in his life; or the monarchy as an institution will have to be very, very strong to survive his reign.  It’s not as pressing an issue in the UK, perhaps; but it’ll be interesting to see how many Commonwealth nations are willing to keep him as their head of state over the next five years.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

5 hours ago, mirkwood said:

My favorite picture of the queen.  

queen.jpg

I believe Elizabeth was a mechanic of some sort during WWII. She was only about 13 when hostilities broke out, so she would have been quite young. @Jamie123 or someone else who knows what they're talking about, please correct me if I'm wrong about the mechanic thing.

54 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

As for Mad Prince Chuckie—frankly, I’m not even sure he likes his country all that much.  Either he will need to learn some qualities like “virtue” and “restraint” and “self-discipline” and “quiet dignity” that he has never demonstrated in his life; or the monarchy as an institution will have to be very, very strong to survive his reign.

As I wrote in another thread:

I'm not an avid follower or lover of the English monarchy, but FWIW, I thought Elizabeth brought intelligence, common sense, elegance, and extremely good manners to a position which, while having little or no real executive or legislative power, certainly holds important sway in international and domestic (UK) affairs. (No pun intended on the "affairs" part.) She will be missed. We can only hope that her son, King Charles, will rise above the conduct he has displayed for most of his adult life and instead follow his mother's example.

2 hours ago, Vort said:

believe Elizabeth was a mechanic of some sort during WWII. She was only about 13 when hostilities broke out, so she would have been quite young. @Jamie123 or someone else who knows what they're talking about, please correct me if I'm wrong about the mechanic thing.

You're right- she served as a mechanic and a driver.

She was indeed a driver. One of my favourite stories of her Majesty was when some Sheikh went to visit her at Buckingham Palace. At the time his country had a dull view on women, especially on the subject of being worthy enough to hold a drivers licence. So she asks the Sheikh if he'd like to see some prized horses down by the stables to which he agreed. The Sheikh, the Queen and her butler all head out to the court yard where a Range Rover sat. The butler opened the rear door and got himself buckled in. The Sheikh being accustomed to cars that are driven on the left side thought he'd do the right thing and offer to drive as a show of respect to her Majesty, but when he got in and sat down he looked over to see her Majesty clutching the wheel with a big smile on her face and twinkle in her eye. It was driven from the right hand side. 

She told him to remember his seat belt and went on what the Sheikh later called a '' Spirited and exuberant drive '' around the property. Her majesty making sure to hit every single bump and lean into every corner. Her majesty commented on how women are more capable of driving a car and being of benefit to the country. This encounter is what is thought to be the catalyst to women getting drivers licences in the Sheikhs part of the world. 

It's an example of her soft power being used to maximum effect. 

Rest easy Ma'am. 

I was positively impressed by Charles' brief television address. I was touched by his seemingly sincere expressions of sorrow and love for his mother and other family members. My naive desire is that Charles himself wrote the speech, but in any case, kudos to whoever did. I thought his mention of his estranged son and especially his daughter-in-law was a kind gesture. Perhaps Charles really is ready to follow his mother's example.

20 hours ago, Vort said:

I was positively impressed by Charles' brief television address. I was touched by his seemingly sincere expressions of sorrow and love for his mother and other family members. My naive desire is that Charles himself wrote the speech, but in any case, kudos to whoever did. I thought his mention of his estranged son and especially his daughter-in-law was a kind gesture. Perhaps Charles really is ready to follow his mother's example.

I am of the few that would like to see him abdicate and let William take the crown.  I think his son has a greater charisma and cleaner past that would help sustain support for the Monarchy well beyond anything King Charles III can do. 

That is probably a feather dream though, as the King, having been under his mother's tutelage, probably feels abdication is a dirty word.

6 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

That is probably a feather dream though, as the King, having been under his mother's tutelage, probably feels abdication is a dirty word.

Too right. After his mum stuck it for 70 years it would look pretty pathetic if he couldn't even manage 5 minutes.