Millions of potatoes

NeuroTypical

Cool story:

Idaho LDS Church farm donating millions of potatoes, needs volunteers for harvest

With the help of three full-time employees and hundreds of volunteers, it produces millions of pounds of potatoes every year for people with food insecurities.

“We serve about 1,600 families a month. It ends up being about 6,500 people,” Jackson explains. “We get enough potatoes from this program to feed our families for a year.”

Jackson points out that nearly half of those 6,500 people are children.

Jackson says the number of people the food basket is currently serving is significantly higher than the amount that needed food assistance at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.

They tell me the church owns hundreds of thousands of acres of agricultural land in the US.  Good stuff.

22 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Cool story:

Idaho LDS Church farm donating millions of potatoes, needs volunteers for harvest

They tell me the church owns hundreds of thousands of acres of agricultural land in the US.  Good stuff.

This is good.  I was under the impression that Idaho wasn't really having that bad of a drought though, that most of the problems stem from it having drought in the past, so even if they had a higher amount of water this year in Idaho, they are still recovering from drought prior to this.

On the otherhand, the rain seems to hit Western Idaho and then skip right over Utah so Utah hasn't really had any relief from it at all and is in dire conditions right now.

59.2% of people in Idaho falls are members, so out of around 66.5 K, that means around 39K members.

The food bank seems to be feeding almost 10% of the population of Idaho Falls, if I read the article right.