Just my luck...

Jamie123

I thought on Thursday when *the news* came, I didn't envy whoever was down to lead intercessions in church this Sunday.

Guess who it is...

This is the one Sunday service everyone's going to remember for ever, so if I muck up intercessions that's my place in history assured.

Wish me luck...

Edited by Jamie123

22 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'll bite, what's an intercession, and how does one lead one in your faith?

Sorry I should have said "prayers" not "intercessions". You stand up at the front and say prayers for everyone. You decide yourself what yo say, but you typically follow an accepted form (beginning with "Dear Heavenly Father" and ending with "rejoicing in the fellowship of all your saints...etc..etc..amen. Traditionally it is done by the priest, but in these more progressive times it's someone from the congregation. Some people go on and on and on until in the end no one's listening. I keep mine short - usually because I put it off to the last minute to write it (tell the truth and shame the Devil!) - but short intercessions are generally preferred by the congregation. Anyway, this is the one week I definitely can't afford to be sloppy. Anyone got anything prayerworthy they want me to include?

Edited by Jamie123

4 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

Since posting this the thoughts have come flooding and I think I'm ready. Thanks to anyone who prayed for me!

Good Luck...

Though this Sunday in particular, I'm no certain shorter is better considering the circumstances.  I guess it depends on what they thought of the Queen and their thoughts on the new King.

1 hour ago, JohnsonJones said:

Good Luck...

Though this Sunday in particular, I'm no certain shorter is better considering the circumstances.  I guess it depends on what they thought of the Queen and their thoughts on the new King.

Yes indeed - what I have is medium length and I think quite respectful. Thanks.

6 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

Sorry I should have said "prayers" not "intercessions". You stand up at the front and say prayers for everyone. You decide yourself what yo say, but you typically follow an accepted form (beginning with "Dear Heavenly Father" and ending with "rejoicing in the fellowship of all your saints...etc..etc..amen. Traditionally it is done by the priest, but in these more progressive times it's someone from the congregation. Some people go on and on and on until in the end no one's listening. I keep mine short - usually because I put it off to the last minute to write it (tell the truth and shame the Devil!) - but short intercessions are generally preferred by the congregation. Anyway, this is the one week I definitely can't afford to be sloppy. Anyone got anything prayerworthy they want me to include?

Coincidentally, I have been asked to offer the invocation tomorrow. But in LDS circles, this is much less formal and more routine. I don't think I'll write anything out. :)

2 minutes ago, Vort said:

Coincidentally, I have been asked to offer the invocation tomorrow. But in LDS circles, this is much less formal and more routine. I don't think I'll write anything out. :)

You know, “God Save the King” remains in the hymnal—at least, for now . . .