Wheat and tares process

laronius

In explaining the parable of the wheat and tares the Lord said:

D&C 86:6 But the Lord saith unto them, pluck not up the tares while the blade is yet tender (for verily your faith is weak), lest you destroy the wheat also.

7 Therefore, let the wheat and the tares grow together until the harvest is fully ripe; then ye shall first gather out the wheat from among the tares, and after the gathering of the wheat, behold and lo, the tares are bound in bundles, and the field remaineth to be burned.

This explanation implies that the tares are just left alone until the end. But in the allegory of the olive tree we read:

Jacob 5:65 And as they begin to grow ye shall clear away the branches which bring forth bitter fruit, according to the strength of the good and the size thereof; and ye shall not clear away the bad thereof all at once, lest the roots thereof should be too strong for the graft, and the graft thereof shall perish, and I lose the trees of my vineyard.

66 For it grieveth me that I should lose the trees of my vineyard; wherefore ye shall clear away the bad according as the good shall grow, that the root and the top may be equal in strength, until the good shall overcome the bad, and the bad be hewn down and cast into the fire, that they cumber not the ground of my vineyard; and thus will I sweep away the bad out of my vineyard.

In this version the separation is gradual. Also, in the parable it is the righteous that are taken out from the wicked whereas in the allegory it is the wicked being taken out from the righteous. So why the difference? Are two different events being described?

2 hours ago, scottyg said:

I view the wheat and tares parable as referring to the entire world, whereas the parable of the olive trees as just the church.

Pretty much.

The church will be periodically pruned of members who are not living in harmony with the faith or whose faith is lacking. 

The world, however, will be allowed to remain until the appropriate time comes, as there are a great many people who could be saved but won't if judgment is rendered too soon. 

I'm more inclined to accept it is the symbol in the parable and the allegory. They both represent an actual event, a truth, that is likened to good and evil. I don't think this detail is meant to be a contrast, but a reality of what happens to all of us individually and collectively.

The allegory and parable both represents the world and the Church.  It can be anyone who moves to Utah surrounded by those who have the gospel. It can be someone who moves to California among members of the Church. It also could reference missionary work among different villages, cities, states, and countries. It can be a member of the Church who moves to Afghanistan for work, as they are grafted in the weakest part of the vineyard.

Even among the "elect" there are tares. At the moment, I have a family member who appears to be a tare, but who still might be wheat, as he could change/repent and come unto Christ once again.

I see the wheat and tares similar to a non-ripe olive fruit. Can you tell a good olive from a bad olive before they are ripe? I'm not a vineyard keeper but I would think it is much like a green tomato. Some turn red, while some remain green (which do not produce any fruit). But if we were to simply start picking (from human judgement) the green ones we think are bad, we may loose some good fruit.

The parable and allegory are showing the mercy of the Lord in a different way, and his justice.

Edited by Anddenex

10 hours ago, Anddenex said:

I'm more inclined to accept it is the symbol in the parable and the allegory. They both represent an actual event, a truth, that is likened to good and evil. I don't think this detail is meant to be a contrast, but a reality of what happens to all of us individually and collectively.

The allegory and parable both represents the world and the Church.  It can be anyone who moves to Utah surrounded by those who have the gospel. It can be someone who moves to California among members of the Church. It also could reference missionary work among different villages, cities, states, and countries. It can be a member of the Church who moves to Afghanistan for work, as they are grafted in the weakest part of the vineyard.

Even among the "elect" there are tares. At the moment, I have a family member who appears to be a tare, but who still might be wheat, as he could change/repent and come unto Christ once again.

I see the wheat and tares similar to a non-ripe olive fruit. Can you tell a good olive from a bad olive before they are ripe? I'm not a vineyard keeper but I would think it is much like a green tomato. Some turn red, while some remain green (which do not produce any fruit). But if we were to simply start picking (from human judgement) the green ones we think are bad, we may loose some good fruit.

The parable and allegory are showing the mercy of the Lord in a different way, and his justice.

So at the Second Coming they become fried green tomatoes?

Haha. JK.

Yes, while often there may be a central message to a parable/allegory I think there are yet many truths that can be learned depending on it application.

22 hours ago, laronius said:

In explaining the parable of the wheat and tares the Lord said:

D&C 86:6 But the Lord saith unto them, pluck not up the tares while the blade is yet tender (for verily your faith is weak), lest you destroy the wheat also.

7 Therefore, let the wheat and the tares grow together until the harvest is fully ripe; then ye shall first gather out the wheat from among the tares, and after the gathering of the wheat, behold and lo, the tares are bound in bundles, and the field remaineth to be burned.

This explanation implies that the tares are just left alone until the end. But in the allegory of the olive tree we read:

Jacob 5:65 And as they begin to grow ye shall clear away the branches which bring forth bitter fruit, according to the strength of the good and the size thereof; and ye shall not clear away the bad thereof all at once, lest the roots thereof should be too strong for the graft, and the graft thereof shall perish, and I lose the trees of my vineyard.

66 For it grieveth me that I should lose the trees of my vineyard; wherefore ye shall clear away the bad according as the good shall grow, that the root and the top may be equal in strength, until the good shall overcome the bad, and the bad be hewn down and cast into the fire, that they cumber not the ground of my vineyard; and thus will I sweep away the bad out of my vineyard.

In this version the separation is gradual. Also, in the parable it is the righteous that are taken out from the wicked whereas in the allegory it is the wicked being taken out from the righteous. So why the difference? Are two different events being described?

I would say they are two applications of the same principle, depending on the objective at hand. Hence the need for living prophets. These are both allegorical, so they can be applied to multiple "events."

1 hour ago, laronius said:

Yes, while often there may be a central message to a parable/allegory I think there are yet many truths that can be learned depending on it application.

I agree. Reminds me of the Tree of Life vision. I thought I had learned all I could from it. Then I decided to memorize the whole chapter. Upon doing so I learned six new principles of truth. Needless to say, I don't say anymore I have learned everything I can from it. :)