Alma 46: 24 - 25 (in part)

askandanswer

Alma 46: 24 - 25

so shall a remnant of the seed of my son be preserved by the hand of God, and be taken unto himself, while the remainder of the seed of Joseph shall perish, even as the remnant of his garment.

25 Now behold, this giveth my soul sorrow; nevertheless, my soul hath joy in my son, because of that part of his seed which shall be taken unto God.

Does anybody know anything about a remnant of the seed of Joseph being taken unto God, while the remainder of the seed of Joseph shall perish? I haven't heard anything about a remnant of the seed of Joseph being taken unto God but perhaps someone else has. The only remnant of the seed of Jacob that I recall being taken unto God was Moses, but he was not of the seed of Joseph. Also, this idea of the remainder of the seed of Joseph perishing doesn’t seem to be consistent with Jacob's blessing of Joseph that he will be so fruitful that his branches will run over the wall. 

The Lord takes unto himself all that are redeemed. This is the meaning of Redemption.

The cited scripture simply states that the Lord will protect and then bring unto himself the righteous from among the seed of Joseph. The rest will perish both in body and in spirit. This is the same promise given to all, but written on a much more personal scale.

10 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Alma 46: 24 - 25

so shall a remnant of the seed of my son be preserved by the hand of God, and be taken unto himself, while the remainder of the seed of Joseph shall perish, even as the remnant of his garment.

25 Now behold, this giveth my soul sorrow; nevertheless, my soul hath joy in my son, because of that part of his seed which shall be taken unto God.

Does anybody know anything about a remnant of the seed of Joseph being taken unto God, while the remainder of the seed of Joseph shall perish? I haven't heard anything about a remnant of the seed of Joseph being taken unto God but perhaps someone else has. The only remnant of the seed of Jacob that I recall being taken unto God was Moses, but he was not of the seed of Joseph. Also, this idea of the remainder of the seed of Joseph perishing doesn’t seem to be consistent with Jacob's blessing of Joseph that he will be so fruitful that his branches will run over the wall. 

I think this has reference to those who were living after the manner of happiness i Nephi's day, and perhaps in more explicit fulfillment of this prophesy, those who lived between 3 Nephi 26: 17 - 4 Nephi 1:19. Of course it can also be fulfilled at other times, and there were promises to be fulfilled to gather the lost children of Jospeh in the last days.