October 2022 Conference Discussion


Recommended Posts

Elder Oaks rocks, and our charitable efforts across the planet rocks.

Our IT department does not rock.

President Uchdorf needs to yell at the IT department.  He just told the whole world that an updated For the Strength of Youth pamphlet is available, and anyone who goes to the church website and searches for it, only finds the old one.

This is as embarrassing as when Bill Gates was rolling out the next version of windows to the whole world and got the blue screen of death.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Our IT department does not rock.

The LDS apps are amazing.  Search functions work.  Everything is free.  Continuous updates.  

9BDF2FD9-C711-4794-B71E-311F1A23E8EF.thumb.jpeg.585d01dfee4f7e473758e88a7e929351.jpeg

I use these all the time.  Some of the best apps in the app store.

I’m in-between surgical cases in the hospital lounge watching conference real time on my iphone.

Its a miracle.

Now, many of the local IT departments (volunteer callings) could use some assistance from headquarters.  Man COVID and zoom meetings were horrible.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/for-the-strength-of-youth?lang=eng

And it’s there.  Just hard to find.

Edited by mikbone
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, laronius said:

After Pres Oaks' talk I was half expecting Pres Nelson to announce some law of consecration type program or something. 😀

That would have been great--though we should acknowledge that we, along with everyone else who has received his or her temple covenants, are already 100% under covenant to live the law of consecration. Not just in the next life or in a hundred years hence, but right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow - for the first time ever (I think), someone giving a General Conference talk has called out their own parents for abusing them.   There are folks out there who saw this as a powerful thing.

image.thumb.png.573969f1a20409b337b4d2cc4eed8602.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vort said:

That would have been great--though we should acknowledge that we, along with everyone else who has received his or her temple covenants, are already 100% under covenant to live the law of consecration. Not just in the next life or in a hundred years hence, but right now.

Yep, agreed. It really ought to be at the heart of our approach to living the gospel. Then there would be a whole lot more ministering going on and a whole lot less administering required.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like it or loathe it, we are incorporating some thing out of woke activism.  Elder C’s strong message of inclusion and diversity:

image.thumb.jpeg.0adbef5162f051c3eec70bb633672655.jpeg

Edited by NeuroTypical
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Like it or loathe it, we are incorporating some thing out of woke activism.  Elder C’s strong message of inclusion and diversity:

What exactly is your definition of woke? The standard dictionary definition of woke is not something that anyone on this board has a problem with (I don't think). I don't see anything new in his words. I don't see anything DTC said that anyone here would find outside of their own moral ideals. 

But regardless of the definition we find in the dictionary, that isn't how people "apply" wokeness in discourse.  The objectional part of "wokeness" is when people take it to the level that intersectionalism should be the most important basis for making the most important decisions in our lives, our businesses, our politics, and our culture.  It is further objectionable when the same people call anyone who disagrees with them "a Nazi" (or similar/related epithet).

I don't see where DTC mentions that we give up any of our values or to give up our Constitutional rights or to change our definitions of words to accommodate anyone.  I don't see where he called for excommunication or for being fired from their job because they disagree politically with someone else.

Edited by Carborendum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Elder Oaks rocks, and our charitable efforts across the planet rocks.

Our IT department does not rock.

President Uchdorf needs to yell at the IT department.  He just told the whole world that an updated For the Strength of Youth pamphlet is available, and anyone who goes to the church website and searches for it, only finds the old one.

This is as embarrassing as when Bill Gates was rolling out the next version of windows to the whole world and got the blue screen of death.

It works for me. I just had to update my app in the app store.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Wow - for the first time ever (I think), someone giving a General Conference talk has called out their own parents for abusing them.   There are folks out there who saw this as a powerful thing.

image.thumb.png.573969f1a20409b337b4d2cc4eed8602.png

She said she had permission from her father. That means he has repented and rectified the situation.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I was at the conference center last night and there was very low attendance. One of the security officers told me that they had a count of about 7,500, out of 20,000 seats. ironic that one of the speakers quoted, "wo unto they that that are at ease in Zion." I guess our couches make us very at ease.

I would have loved to go had our stake received tickets. Many folks were also confused about the last session being open to everyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I was at the conference center last night and there was very low attendance. One of the security officers told me that they had a count of about 7,500, out of 20,000 seats. ironic that one of the speakers quoted, "wo unto they that that are at ease in Zion." I guess our couches make us very at ease.

Could it because of the pandemic?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I was at the conference center last night and there was very low attendance. One of the security officers told me that they had a count of about 7,500, out of 20,000 seats. ironic that one of the speakers quoted, "wo unto they that that are at ease in Zion." I guess our couches make us very at ease.

I’m watching conference in Bed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/1/2022 at 10:35 AM, NeuroTypical said:

Elder Oaks rocks, and our charitable efforts across the planet rocks.

Our IT department does not rock.

President Uchdorf needs to yell at the IT department.  He just told the whole world that an updated For the Strength of Youth pamphlet is available, and anyone who goes to the church website and searches for it, only finds the old one.

This is as embarrassing as when Bill Gates was rolling out the next version of windows to the whole world and got the blue screen of death.

 

I have to admit I didn't look for it yesterday, but I did today.

You are correct, I could not find it that easily on the site.  I DID discover the Church seems to have a Youth Magazine.

It is findable via a google search.  I searched for Strength of Youth 2022 and it came up.  It is made as a web view, but if you click on the corner options, you can download it as a PDF as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

She said she had permission from her father. That means he has repented and rectified the situation.

I'm absolutely going to be reviewing that talk.  Still quite a powerful thing to hear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I was at the conference center last night and there was very low attendance. One of the security officers told me that they had a count of about 7,500, out of 20,000 seats. ironic that one of the speakers quoted, "wo unto they that that are at ease in Zion." I guess our couches make us very at ease.

 

I'm hearing rumors that a negative Covid test was required for entry.  While I believe there is a ton of "all is well in Zion" going on, I think your perspective is off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share