October 2022 Conference Discussion

1 hour ago, LDSGator said:

Okay. So, why the low attendance then? I’m confident that GC can draw far better below 50% for attendance. Heck I’d go if I was in Utah

Possibilities:

1) Tickets for it weren’t released to local wards (I didn’t hear of my Utah ward getting any allotted tickets this year, either);

2)  The answer to the question of “who is the target audience for Saturday evening session these days?” was not satisfactorily publicized.

3)  When you had small kids, it’s asking a lot to bundle the entire family up to downtown SLC for a two-hour church meeting starting at 6 pm.  When Saturday evening sessions were gender-segregated, one spouse was always staying home and could take care for the littles.  That’s not an option anymore, and there’s a huge demographic of the Church for whom attendance at these sessions now just isn’t practical.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Just now, Just_A_Guy said:

Possibilities:

1) Tickets for it weren’t released to local wards (I didn’t hear of my Utah ward getting any allotted tickets this year, either);

2)  The answer to the question of “who is the target audience for Saturday evening session these days?” was not satisfactorily publicized.

3)  When you had small kids, it’s asking a lot to bundle the entire family up to downtown SLC for a two-hour church meeting starting at 6 pm.  When Saturday evening sessions were gender-segregated, one spouse was always staying home and could take care for the littles.  That’s not an option anymore, and there’s a huge demographic of the Church for whom attendance at these meetings now just isn’t practical.

All legit points, as usual. 

How does ticketing for GC work? 

32 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

All legit points, as usual. 

How does ticketing for GC work? 

Traditionally some are allotted to congregational leaders for further distribution, and a limited quantity can also be obtained from the Conference Center ticketing office.

This year, apparently they all went through congregational leaders—see https://ksltv.com/507391/general-conference-transportation-attendance-and-more/amp/.

I hope everyone heard the words Pres Nelson spoke in the Sunday Morning session.  Very eye-opening.  I am looking forward to the transcript when they publish them on the Church website.  That was what a lot of people have been waiting to hear.

I also thought Elder Bednar's words to be rather remarkable.  I never realized the refusal to wear our garments was such a widespread issue sufficient to require an address at G.C.  I know many won't interpret his words that way.  But after re-reading the parable he quoted from, it is difficult not to.

Jesus Christ is the answer.  And here, I thought it was 42.

3 hours ago, LDSGator said:

Okay. So, why the low attendance then? I’m confident that GC can draw far better below 50% for attendance. Heck I’d go if I was in Utah

I think a big part of it is that parking is a nightmare in Salt Lake City, another is the traffic is chaotic, and I don't know, but I do not like having the spiritual high of a session of conference ruined by some anti-church psychopath screaming at me about how evil Joseph Smith was or other such nonsense.

Edited by Emmanuel Goldstein

4 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

That farewell from President Nelson almost felt like a final farewell. I hope not. :( 

He either knows his mission is coming to a close, or, he knows of some kind of great trial / difficult event that will occur and affect many saints within the next 6 months. Methinks it is the latter as so many talks focused on strengthening one's testimony.

4 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

That farewell from President Nelson almost felt like a final farewell. I hope not. :( 

Wow, 4 temples in Mexico City. Very cool list of new temples.

That was the same impression I had.  He is 96 years old, so it wouldn’t come as a surprise.

I wish I felt differently, but the video of Christ appearing to the nephites left me feeling unsatisfied. 😕

@NeuroTypical, as to wokeness, I didn't see it that way.  I think the Brethren are intentional in their language.  While some of it may sound similar enough to appease detractors seeking to find fault, or members for whom wokeness is a stumbling block, the true application of their words requires to modern woke ideology to be rejected in favor of true unity in Christ.

@Carborendum, I had considered the garments thing, but I interpreted it more in relation to the growing number of activist members who live or align with the LGBTQ+ lifestyle or in general, any who seek to impose their own will on the Lord, in disregard of his commandments, while expecting to claim the gift only he can provide.  It could have both meanings, though; yours is inherently included I think.  My wife suggested that many (in our area at least) will likely reflectively use Bednar's words to judge those who were against masking, though it seems this is a more present and future pointed message.  🤔

The absolute necessity of having the Spirit and receiving personal revelation has been a hallmark of Pres Nelson's tenure as prophet and it seemed to be especially mentioned in this conference.

"In coming days, it will not be possible to survive spiritually without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost."

This principle has always been a key element of the restored gospel but it makes me wonder what specifically the "coming days" hold as to require such intense focus on it now. Clearly the world is becoming more corrupt. But it appears that on the horizon events will unfold that will put great pressure on any testimony that is not being constantly reinforced. 

11 hours ago, person0 said:

@Carborendum, I had considered the garments thing, but I interpreted it more in relation to the growing number of activist members who live or align with the LGBTQ+ lifestyle or in general, any who seek to impose their own will on the Lord, in disregard of his commandments, while expecting to claim the gift only he can provide.  It could have both meanings, though; yours is inherently included I think.  My wife suggested that many (in our area at least) will likely reflectively use Bednar's words to judge those who were against masking, though it seems this is a more present and future pointed message.  🤔

Meh... who knows?

I'm preparing for my lesson next month where we cover Daniel.  And the linguistic analysis is very interesting regarding "garments" in Daniel.  So, that was on my mind. 

When I first heard the talk, I was thinking about sectarians who insist that baptism isn't required for salvation.  Whether it is or not, the rebellious attitude towards NOT being baptized will certainly disqualify you.  Then I read the actual parable.  

Reading the actual parable and having the thoughts of Daniel in my mind, I couldn't help but see the parallels to the temple.  At that point, it sure seemed clear to me.  Regardless, I hold my temple garments to be sacred.

What Bednar was referring to?  Who knows?

On 10/2/2022 at 11:08 AM, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I was at the conference center last night and there was very low attendance. One of the security officers told me that they had a count of about 7,500, out of 20,000 seats. ironic that one of the speakers quoted, "wo unto they that that are at ease in Zion." I guess our couches make us very at ease.

Theologically speaking, I'm the functional equivalent of a "dead hand" system. If I get off the couch, not only has something gone wrong, there's a good chance it's about to get even worse before it gets better. Those who read my previous discussions of what I did to ensure that the internet was free for religious discussion understand this point. 

There's a reason why the branch president just lets me sit and have an ear bud in on Sundays, and why when I do speak in church people listen. 

On 10/2/2022 at 2:17 PM, mirkwood said:

I'm hearing rumors that a negative Covid test was required for entry.  While I believe there is a ton of "all is well in Zion" going on, I think your perspective is off.

There's also the fact that we're in a bit of a recession right now and gas prices still haven't returned to where they were. 

It may simply be *too expensive* for people to travel right now. 

On 10/2/2022 at 4:56 PM, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Wow, 4 temples in Mexico City. Very cool list of new temples.

I thought the same thing.  It was like he was saying good bye.  Then to have the choir singing Till We Meet Again...

20 hours ago, person0 said:

I wish I felt differently, but the video of Christ appearing to the nephites left me feeling unsatisfied. 😕

3 Nephi 11:8 “… for they thought it was an angel that had appeared unto them.“

To be fair, even the Nephites didn’t find the real life Jesus to be an accurate portrayal. 

😜

3 hours ago, pam said:

I thought the same thing.  It was like he was saying good bye.  Then to have the choir singing Till We Meet Again...

Had the same thought especially after noticing he seemed to be sitting during his talks*.

*The camera would pan out while he got to the podium, the flowers were above his head (unlike other speakers) and there was a black square behind him that you could see when the camera was a side angle.

Edited by Manners Matter

21 hours ago, laronius said:

In coming days, it will not be possible to survive spiritually without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost."

I'm so glad that this statement is referring to the future and not the present ;)