October 2022 Conference Discussion

11 hours ago, pam said:

I thought the same thing.  It was like he was saying good bye.  Then to have the choir singing Till We Meet Again...

Seen online:

”To all those who think they got a revelation that President Nelson won’t make it another six months:  maybe he’s sad because he knows you’re all dying and he won’t get to see you at the next conference.”

11 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Seen online:

”To all those who think they got a revelation that President Nelson won’t make it another six months:  maybe he’s sad because he knows you’re all dying and he won’t get to see you at the next conference.”

Let's just say that my plans for the next six months are all courtesy of the letters "E", "K", and "G". 

What comes to your mind regarding the following from President Nelson,

"In coming days, we will see the greatest manifestations of the Savior’s power that the world has ever seen. Between now and the time He returns “with power and great glory,” He will bestow countless privileges, blessings, and miracles upon the faithful."

9 hours ago, Anddenex said:

What comes to your mind regarding the following from President Nelson,

It makes me think of the law of opposition. As the power of Satan increases in the world, the power of God must of necessity be increasingly manifest in the lives of the faithful. Not only will this serve to strengthen His people but it will allow them to become lighted "cities upon the hill" to which others can look. I think the Lord wants to force the issue of choosing between Him and the world but that can't happen if all people see is darkness. There must be a clear choice and the lives of the saints must clearly reflect what God has to offer.

Edited by laronius

11 hours ago, pam said:

I never even realized they changed the name.  

LOL.

The name is the same.  The difference is the method of Romanization.

The Korean Ministry of Culture's method (previously developed by the Ministry of Education) uses the "B" as the transliteration for the letter  in all cases.  The system used more internationally (the McCune Reischauer System) uses the "P" for this case, and sometimes a "B" in other cases.

The reason is that the Korean letter   is not exactly a "b" or a "p".  It is something in between. (The letter  OTOH, is a highly explosive "p", and is always transliterated as a "p".  This is NOT the letter used in the spelling of Pusan.)

"Busan" is what the western ear would interpret when the name is said if the mouth began in an open position (usually a vowel or taking a breath through the mouth before speaking).  "Pusan" is what the western ear would hear if the mouth begins in a closed position.  But this is not a hard and fast rule.  Some Koreans simply favor the "p" or "b" sounds individually.  So, it is difficult to nail it down.

In more familiar terms, it is similar to how a Spanish speaker seems to get their "b" and "v" mixed up.  They don't get it mixed up.  Their sound is the same for both letters.

I still spell it "Pusan" because that is how I've been doing it for decades.  Why change now?

Edited by Carborendum

1 hour ago, laronius said:

It makes me think of the law of opposition. As the power of Satan increases in the world, the power of God must of necessity be increasingly manifest in the lives of the faithful. Not only will this serve to strengthen His people but it will allow them to become lighted "cities upon the hill" to which others can look. I think the Lord wants to force the issue of choosing between Him and the world but that can't happen if all people see is darkness. There must be a clear choice and the lives of the saints must clearly reflect what God has to offer.

That's a great thought. What do you think will be in the "increase" of the power of God in the saints? Righteousness will increase?

3 hours ago, Anddenex said:

That's a great thought. What do you think will be in the "increase" of the power of God in the saints? Righteousness will increase?

The thing that immediately comes to mind is the promise that those who go to the temple would come out "armed with power" and would you know it, coincidences of all coincidences, we have prophet trying to build a temple practically in everyone's backyard and telling us we better go often.

That, I would say, is a major source of that power. Now how that power becomes manifest is something that isn't quite as clear. 

I think of the miracles that we have read about in the Old Testament this year, and it gets me excited to study the New Testament again next year so that everyone can remember the various miracles the Savior performed in the flesh. How many saints will have instant miracles of healing take place, have their food storage not run out, and be able to cast out devils? Will some hear reports of the weather being changed, or of persons being raised from the dead?

Christ has done some amazing things, and if we are to see even greater manifestations, I can only assume that some of the other things He did in the past will also follow the faithful. I believe this to be because their faith will be so great, and that will also enlarge the power of the priesthood. Their faith will have to be that strong to oppose the coming opposition and wickedness of the world.

8 hours ago, laronius said:

The thing that immediately comes to mind is the promise that those who go to the temple would come out "armed with power" and would you know it, coincidences of all coincidences, we have prophet trying to build a temple practically in everyone's backyard and telling us we better go often.

That, I would say, is a major source of that power. Now how that power becomes manifest is something that isn't quite as clear. 

That is a great point. Then is part of that "power" an increase in revelation -- hearing the voice of the Lord?

6 hours ago, scottyg said:

I think of the miracles that we have read about in the Old Testament this year, and it gets me excited to study the New Testament again next year so that everyone can remember the various miracles the Savior performed in the flesh. How many saints will have instant miracles of healing take place, have their food storage not run out, and be able to cast out devils? Will some hear reports of the weather being changed, or of persons being raised from the dead?

Christ has done some amazing things, and if we are to see even greater manifestations, I can only assume that some of the other things He did in the past will also follow the faithful. I believe this to be because their faith will be so great, and that will also enlarge the power of the priesthood. Their faith will have to be that strong to oppose the coming opposition and wickedness of the world.

This is what I am wondering also. Is the manifestation a manifestation of more miracles in the individual lives of members? Could it be connected to what @laronius mentioned also. Will an increase in temple attendance increase our ability to have miracles in our lives?

On 10/2/2022 at 4:07 PM, Carborendum said:

I hope everyone heard the words Pres Nelson spoke in the Sunday Morning session.  Very eye-opening.  I am looking forward to the transcript when they publish them on the Church website.  That was what a lot of people have been waiting to hear.

I also thought Elder Bednar's words to be rather remarkable.  I never realized the refusal to wear our garments was such a widespread issue sufficient to require an address at G.C.  I know many won't interpret his words that way.  But after re-reading the parable he quoted from, it is difficult not to.

Jesus Christ is the answer.  And here, I thought it was 42.

"In coming days, we will see the greatest manifestations of the Savior’s power that the world has ever seen. Between now and the time He returns “with power and great glory,” President Nelson, Sunday AM session. 

I hope he literally means 'days," I am so sick of this world. I want Him to come back and take care of His people. :(

1 hour ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

"In coming days, we will see the greatest manifestations of the Savior’s power that the world has ever seen. Between now and the time He returns “with power and great glory,” President Nelson, Sunday AM session. 

I hope he literally means 'days," I am so sick of this world. I want Him to come back and take care of His people. :(

I'm afraid that things will get worse before they get better.  That is always the way of the Lord.

"Days"?  Yes and no.  We now have access to a clearer line of communication with Heaven than we've experienced for much of this dispensation since the pioneer days.  But we need to learn how to connect with it.

As more and more people learn how, the miracles will start to flow.

2 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I totally get your sentiment. The problem is that God doesn't manifest his power needlessly. So if there is a great manifestation of power it's generally going to be because there is a great need. Or in other words before Christ appears in all His glory Satan must first "appear" in all his evil. And we know how that felt to Joseph. So unfortunately we don't get to skip to the good part.

14 hours ago, Anddenex said:

This is what I am wondering also. Is the manifestation a manifestation of more miracles in the individual lives of members? Could it be connected to what @laronius mentioned also. Will an increase in temple attendance increase our ability to have miracles in our lives?

I have also been thinking about how many of the latter-day prophecies hang on temples. Two in particular are the temples that must be built in Independence and Jerusalem. First, it would be a grand miracle for the church to acquire the temple block in Independence. You can bet there would be threats and lawsuits aplenty to prevent that acquisition from occurring.

However, having the Jews begin the reconstruction of the Lord's temple on the mount in Jerusalem would be even more miraculous, as that will cause worldwide upheaval amongst multiple religions. Demolishing the Dome of the Rock could be the final straw that causes the world to besiege Jerusalem requiring 2 apostles/prophets to defend the city and temple. And, imagine those 2 men defending the city for 3.5 years. In order to stop bullets, missiles, and the escalating force that would be used there they would be using the priesthood in ways like a Jedi uses the force. God's power will eventually be open and manifest for all to see.

Many also forget that Pres. Nelson announced a temple in mainland China a few years ago. Having a temple with the open practice of Christianity in that nation would be great indeed. The Lord won't return until the gospel is taken to the whole world, and I don't see the gospel as being taken to the four corners of the earth when approximately 18% of the world's population don't have access to it...and that's just China. Great things are coming for those who have eyes to see them.

34 minutes ago, scottyg said:

Demolishing the Dome of the Rock could be the final straw that causes the world to besiege Jerusalem requiring 2 apostles/prophets to defend the city and temple.

The Dome of the Rock mosque will never be demolished by the hand of those in the kingdom of God. One element that stands out about how God operates among his children is a careful observance of the laws of man. The Jews abandoned/were carried away from the temple, and the Christians turned it into a garbage dump. The Muslims tried to return it to divine worship. If the Dome of the Rock mosque is done away with, it will be by wicked men, or perhaps by the hand of God operating through natural means, but not by force of arms from God's representatives.

1 hour ago, Vort said:

The Dome of the Rock mosque will never be demolished by the hand of those in the kingdom of God. One element that stands out about how God operates among his children is a careful observance of the laws of man. The Jews abandoned/were carried away from the temple, and the Christians turned it into a garbage dump. The Muslims tried to return it to divine worship. If the Dome of the Rock mosque is done away with, it will be by wicked men, or perhaps by the hand of God operating through natural means, but not by force of arms from God's representatives.

It seems likely that the Dome will be untouched and that the temple will be built right next to it on the mount.