Tithing

Vort

41 minutes ago, Vort said:

I spoke in sacrament meeting today about tithing. Strange how the most basic topics that we learn early in childhood are those that we talk about all throughout our lives, and continue learning and building on.

I am finding that most gospel doctrines are like the proverbial iceberg where only a small part is obvious to us, not necessarily in terms of complexity but rather a less obvious depth in meaning and broadness in application. So while we might label them as "primary answers" needing only basic understanding to activate, there is so much more to them that even well seasoned saints can feast on their study and application. Or even have their ship sunk by them if not taken seriously. 😳

1 hour ago, Vort said:

I spoke in sacrament meeting today about tithing. Strange how the most basic topics that we learn early in childhood are those that we talk about all throughout our lives, and continue learning and building on.

Interesting coincidence, at least a little.  I and my family did my tithing declaration today. 

2 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

This is a doctrine we can agree on! My stumbling block comes when the enemy tries to convince me that the other 90% is mine to do with as I please. 😶

Yes, tithing is really just a beginner's course in recognizing that all (including ourselves) is God's. Being wise stewards is more like graduate work.

3 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

This is a doctrine we can agree on! My stumbling block comes when the enemy tries to convince me that the other 90% is mine to do with as I please. 😶

1 hour ago, laronius said:

Yes, tithing is really just a beginner's course in recognizing that all (including ourselves) is God's. Being wise stewards is more like graduate work.

In fact, my talk focused in part on the meaning of tithing in the larger law of consecration.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 11:01 PM, laronius said:

Yes, tithing is really just a beginner's course in recognizing that all (including ourselves) is God's.

I love that. Did you come up with that or are you quoting somebody? Either way, well said.