How was the earth flooded

laronius

Does anyone have Joseph Fielding Smith's book The Signs of the Times? I came across a reference to that book that intrigued me and I was curious if Smith expounded more upon it than what was quoted. It said page 41. He is talking about the earth being burned at the Lord's coming. Here is the quote:

"Somebody said, ‘Brother Smith, do you mean to say that it is going to be literal fire?’ I said, ‘Oh, no, it will not be literal fire any more than it was literal water that covered the earth in the flood.’"

Of all the interpretations of the flood I've heard this is the first that implies there was no rain involved at all.

1 hour ago, laronius said:

Does anyone have Joseph Fielding Smith's book The Signs of the Times? I came across a reference to that book that intrigued me and I was curious if Smith expounded more upon it than what was quoted. It said page 41. He is talking about the earth being burned at the Lord's coming. Here is the quote:

"Somebody said, ‘Brother Smith, do you mean to say that it is going to be literal fire?’ I said, ‘Oh, no, it will not be literal fire any more than it was literal water that covered the earth in the flood.’"

Of all the interpretations of the flood I've heard this is the first that implies there was no rain involved at all.

The way I read that was his way of telling those people "duh". Literal water means real water, and literal fire means real fire. He was assuming that everyone viewed the flood as a literal thing.

It is also my understanding that this caused a stir among people regarding this same question, and in future editions he actually put in a footnote explaining himself.

That's an intriguing quote I have not come across. I'm not a believer that the world will be covered by "fire" as we know it, like a camp fire or forest fire. What type of "fire" will the glory of God create? That is more the fire that will come.

Would like to know about the clarification provided.

Joseph Smith History verse 37 reads as follows:

"For behold, the day cometh that shall burn as an oven, and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly shall burn as stubble; for they that come shall burn them, saith the Lord of Hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch."

IF we take the Bible literally, I wonder at times if the old myths about the fountains under the earth have a source of reality in them.  If, as we have imagined at times, there was more of a mist than a rain in the days of Eden, it is possible that perhaps there was a lot less water on the surface of the earth itself and more in groundwater.

What if there were no oceans?  The earth was divided as we read in the Bible, perhaps if it were that they lived on what is now the bottom of the seabeds, a climb up to the higher lands probably was not something that was considered necessary or easy in general.  If suddenly these waters burst forth, and the oceans formed, it certainly would seem as if the world had flooded.

Obviously this is not something to seriously consider, but it is something I've pondered at times when reading old myths about the pillars of the earth (in many myths these pillars are water or other items) and how myths at times have a grain of truth to them. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2022 at 8:35 PM, laronius said:

Maybe he did not believe Genesis 9:8-17.  Flood and water are mentioned several times.