When Miracles Happen

Carborendum

PREFACE: I know if I don't say this up front, people will say how stupid this is because of the existence of exceptions.  But that is what I believe they are -- exceptions.  So, I'm asking for your indulgence to consider the spirit of my words here.

Pres Nelson's parting words about miracles indicates that he knows what is going to happen. To most, this might sound encouraging.  And it was meant to be.  But another side of me looks to that with some trepidation because...

Miracles tend not to happen until the Lord's people are in dire straights.

• Moses was fleeing Pharaoh.  And the waters parted.
  • The priests of Baal had nearly the entire population under their thumb.  Fire came down from heaven to burn up the drenched altar.
  • Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were being thrown into the furnace.  They were divinely saved.
  • Ammon... He was just plain awesome.  Let's face it.

I've also learned that we tend to get "smaller" miracles when we are in "1st World" dire straights. 

This past couple of weeks, I've been wrestling with a project that was a little out of my league.  It is a project I'd usually need some help on.  But the people who were going to help me bailed out in the middle of the project.  The project was delayed so far that the client was calling me to yell at me an threaten me.  I've never had that happen before.

While I say my general prayers for general "good spiritual, physical, & emotional health," this past week I was coming down to the wire.  And there was still stuff I did not understand.  This was the first time in my professional career that I was praying for Divine help to know what to do.  I prayed several times a day for this.

Each time I came across something that just wouldn't work, I would normally have to think about it for days because it was such unfamiliar work.  I'd eventually figure it out.  But it would take many iterations of trial and error to get to the right answer.

But during this time when I was praying so earnestly for help, I was getting insights.  I clearly saw paths forward and solutions to difficult problems.  They came to me as quickly as if I'd been doing it for years.  I was reminded of Pres Nelson's description of the special heart surgery method he was spiritually taught to do.  It was exactly like that.  If I did not have the background I did, I may not have understood the instruction.  But I did understand.  And when I applied it, the math worked out beautifully.

If some are saying that things are getting too bad for us to handle, I think we're whining too much.  Things have been worse in the past.  And they will get worse in the future.  But with the worse things in the future will also come blessing and miracles.

One thing I've learned in my personal life is that the worse the trial, the more I learn and the more purified I become.  And WHEN the Lord blesses me afterword, I realize He's been blessing me throughout the trial as well.  It sounds something like Footprints in the Sand -- but not quite.  He DIDN'T carry me.  That was the whole point.  Maybe it is just semantics or a certain point of view.  But I feel like I was given a new heart.  When I normally would have given up, I kept going.  When I normally would have admitted "I simply can't do this" I didn't.  I forged ahead having faith that the Lord would somehow give me strength and wisdom.  I even invoked the promises of the word of wisdom in my prayers.  I needed hidden treasures of knowledge.  And He gave them to me.

This is one major reason that we go through trials.  We do come to depend on Him during those trials.  We're humbled. We learn to pray like never before.  And we see miracles like never before.

So, if we're expecting to see Biblical type miracles happen, be prepared for the most dire trials we've ever experienced.  I pray I'm prepared.  May we all be so.

Aside: Yes, I believe this will either be the last or the penultimate Conference we'll see Pres Nelson in.  Either he will pass on fairly soon, or he will be bed-ridden.  We won't be seeing much of him in public for a while.  He's been in the Lord's service as an apostle for 38 years.  He's earned his rest in the Lord.  And just as Moses did not cross the Jordan, Pres Nelson will not be here to see the fulfillment of the Tigris and Euphrates drying up (I believe it to have a figurative meaning.  Whether it happens literally at the same time -- either way, it doesn't matter).

Edited by Carborendum

On 10/14/2022 at 11:16 AM, Carborendum said:

Each time I came across something that just wouldn't work, I would normally have to think about it for days because it was such unfamiliar work.  I'd eventually figure it out.  But it would take many iterations of trial and error to get to the right answer.

Next time something like this happens I recommend the following:

Take into account the killoquad redundant molochortz ramostadt differential.  Then calculate the bilateral kellolakterals of the differential elements of the sinewave.  And don't forget to include the isophilavial constant in the complex heisenberg formula for the pheromantral function denominator at about 5:10 pm on Thursday.

3 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Next time something like this happens I recommend the following:

Take into account the killoquad redundant molochortz ramostadt differential.  Then calculate the bilateral kellolakterals of the differential elements of the sinewave.  And don't forget to include the isophilavial constant in the complex heisenberg formula for the pheromantral function denominator at about 5:10 pm on Thursday.

Why didn't I think of that?  Where were you when I needed you?

On 10/13/2022 at 9:46 PM, Carborendum said:

PREFACE: I know if I don't say this up front, people will say how stupid this is because of the existence of exceptions.  But that is what I believe they are -- exceptions.  So, I'm asking for your indulgence to consider the spirit of my words here.

Pres Nelson's parting words about miracles indicates that he knows what is going to happen. To most, this might sound encouraging.  And it was meant to be.  But another side of me looks to that with some trepidation because...

Miracles tend not to happen until the Lord's people are in dire straights.

• Moses was fleeing Pharaoh.  And the waters parted.
  • The priests of Baal had nearly the entire population under their thumb.  Fire came down from heaven to burn up the drenched altar.
  • Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were being thrown into the furnace.  They were divinely saved.
  • Ammon... He was just plain awesome.  Let's face it.

I've also learned that we tend to get "smaller" miracles when we are in "1st World" dire straights. 

This past couple of weeks, I've been wrestling with a project that was a little out of my league.  It is a project I'd usually need some help on.  But the people who were going to help me bailed out in the middle of the project.  The project was delayed so far that the client was calling me to yell at me an threaten me.  I've never had that happen before.

While I say my general prayers for general "good spiritual, physical, & emotional health," this past week I was coming down to the wire.  And there was still stuff I did not understand.  This was the first time in my professional career that I was praying for Divine help to know what to do.  I prayed several times a day for this.

But during this time when I was praying so earnestly for help, I was getting insights.  I clearly saw paths forward and solutions to difficult problems.  They came to me as quickly as if I'd been doing it for years.  I was reminded of Pres Nelson's description of the special heart surgery method he was spiritually taught to do.  It was exactly like that.  If I did not have the background I did, I may not have understood the instruction.  But I did understand.  And when I applied it, the math worked out beautifully.

If some are saying that things are getting too bad for us to handle, I think we're whining too much.  Things have been worse in the past.  And they will get worse in the future.  But with the worse things in the future will also come blessing and miracles.

One thing I've learned in my personal life is that the worse the trial, the more I learn and the more purified I become.  And WHEN the Lord blesses me afterword, I realize He's been blessing me throughout the trial as well.  It sounds something like Footprints in the Sand -- but not quite.  He DIDN'T carry me.  That was the whole point.  Maybe it is just semantics or a certain point of view.  But I feel like I was given a new heart.  When I normally would have given up, I kept going.  When I normally would have admitted "I simply can't do this" I didn't.  I forged ahead having faith that the Lord would somehow give me strength and wisdom.  I even invoked the promises of the word of wisdom in my prayers.  I needed hidden treasures of knowledge.  And He gave them to me.

This is one major reason that we go through trials.  We do come to depend on Him during those trials.  We're humbled. We learn to pray like never before.  And we see miracles like never before.

So, if we're expecting to see Biblical type miracles happen, be prepared for the most dire trials we've ever experienced.  I pray I'm prepared.  May we all be so.

Aside: Yes, I believe this will either be the last or the penultimate Conference we'll see Pres Nelson in.  Either he will pass on fairly soon, or he will be bed-ridden.  We won't be seeing much of him in public for a while.  He's been in the Lord's service as an apostle for 38 years.  He's earned his rest in the Lord.  And just as Moses did not cross the Jordan, Pres Nelson will not be here to see the fulfillment of the Tigris and Euphrates drying up (I believe it to have a figurative meaning.  Whether it happens literally at the same time -- either way, it doesn't matter).

Are you referring to his Sunday morning closing remarks? Overcome the World and Find Rest (churchofjesuschrist.org)

The miracles to which he refers seem to be the "incomparable privileges" from his reaffirmation of Ezra Taft Benson's teachings:

"I reaffirm a profound teaching of President Ezra Taft Benson: “Men and women who turn their lives over to God will discover that He can make a lot more out of their lives than they can. He will deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds, … lift their spirits, multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, raise up friends, and pour out peace.”

"These incomparable privileges follow those who seek the support of heaven to help them overcome this world. To this end, I extend to members of the entire Church the same charge I gave to our young adults last May. I urged them then—and I plead with you now—to take charge of your own testimony of Jesus Christ and His gospel. Work for it. Nurture it so that it will grow. Feed it truth. Don’t pollute it with false philosophies of unbelieving men and women. As you make the continual strengthening of your testimony of Jesus Christ your highest priority, watch for miracles to happen in your life."

He alluded to these privileges in the start of his talk, "But, my dear brothers and sisters, so many wonderful things are ahead. In coming days, we will see the greatest manifestations of the Savior’s power that the world has ever seen. Between now and the time He returns “with power and great glory,”1 He will bestow countless privileges, blessings, and miracles upon the faithful." He also prefaced his reaffirmation of President Benson's reaching: "Now, how does overcoming the world bless our lives? The answer is clear: entering into a covenant relationship with God binds us to Him in a way that makes everything about life easier. Please do not misunderstand me: I did not say that making covenants makes life easy. In fact, expect opposition, because the adversary does not want you to discover the power of Jesus Christ. But yoking yourself with the Savior means you have access to His strength and redeeming power."

The miracles seem to be focusing on the results of yoking ourselves with the Lord and accessing His strength and redeeming power to bring about those things listed by President Benson: "make a lot more out of their lives than they can ...deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds, … lift their spirits, multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, raise up friends, and pour out peace.” Miracles, or the expression of faith in yoking ourselves with the Lord, will be opposed by the adversary.