What was originally given to Moses?

laronius

Do we know what exactly was written on the first set of tablets given to Moses? In my mind I have always just associated them with the "fullness of the gospel" as taught by Jesus but when approached by the young rich ruler about how to gain eternal life Jesus essentially told him to keep the 10 commandments. So was the first set same as the second or were they different?

JST Exodus 34:1 And the Lord said unto Moses, Hew thee two other tables of stone, like unto the first, and I will write upon them also, the words of the law, according as they were written at the first on the tables which thou brakest; but it shall not be according to the first, for I will take away the priesthood out of their midst; therefore my holy order, and the ordinances thereof, shall not go before them; for my presence shall not go up in their midst, lest I destroy them.
2 But I will give unto them the law as at the first, but it shall be after the law of a carnal commandment; for I have sworn in my wrath, that they shall not enter into my presence, into my rest, in the days of their pilgrimage

42 minutes ago, laronius said:

Do we know what exactly was written on the first set of tablets given to Moses? In my mind I have always just associated them with the "fullness of the gospel" as taught by Jesus but when approached by the young rich ruler about how to gain eternal life Jesus essentially told him to keep the 10 commandments. So was the first set same as the second or were they different?

JST Exodus 34:1 And the Lord said unto Moses, Hew thee two other tables of stone, like unto the first, and I will write upon them also, the words of the law, according as they were written at the first on the tables which thou brakest; but it shall not be according to the first, for I will take away the priesthood out of their midst; therefore my holy order, and the ordinances thereof, shall not go before them; for my presence shall not go up in their midst, lest I destroy them.
2 But I will give unto them the law as at the first, but it shall be after the law of a carnal commandment; for I have sworn in my wrath, that they shall not enter into my presence, into my rest, in the days of their pilgrimage

See: Lesson 55: Exodus 33–34 (churchofjesuschrist.org)

"...the children of Israel at this time were not given the ordinances and covenants of the Melchizedek Priesthood (which are necessary for us to become like God and dwell in His presence), the Lord allowed the Aaronic Priesthood to continue with them (see D&C 84:25–26)" with "the preparatory gospel, which includes the principles of obedience and sacrifice. This law came to be known as the law of Moses. The preparatory gospel administered through the Aaronic Priesthood—meaning “the gospel of repentance and of baptism” (D&C 84:27)—also continued with the children of Israel."

So, it would seem the content of the two sets differed in that the second set excluded the ordinances and covenants of the Melchizedek Priesthood. Everything else would have been the same.

Edited by CV75

JST, Exodus 34:1–2

Joseph Smith Translation

1 And the Lord said unto Moses, Hew thee two other tables of stone, like unto the first, and I will write upon them also, the words of the law [Ten Commandments, etc. but not the priesthood performances; which I take to be on a par with the temple covenants], according as they were written at the first on the tables which thou brakest; but it shall not be according to the first, for I will take away the priesthood out of their midst; therefore my holy order, and the ordinances thereof, shall not go before them; for my presence shall not go up in their midst, lest I destroy them.

2 But I will give unto them the law as at the first, but it shall be after the law of a carnal commandment; for I have sworn in my wrath, that they shall not enter into my presence, into my rest, in the days of their pilgrimage. Therefore do as I have commanded thee, and be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning unto mount Sinai, and present thyself there to me, in the top of the mount.

---

Despite this establishment of the order of the Israelite church under the Aaronic Priesthood, the Melchizedek Priesthood and its performances were evidently held by select holy men among other groups (e.g., Moses' father-in-law, who returned to his own people), and I presume they shared higher ordinances with select saints as permitted. Lehi for example held the higher priesthood (and see Alma 13 for others).

3 hours ago, laronius said:

In my mind I have always just associated them with the "fullness of the gospel" as taught by Jesus but when approached by the young rich ruler about how to gain eternal life Jesus essentially told him to keep the 10 commandments.

I am currently attached to the hypothesis that the point Jesus was trying to make with the rich young ruler was “You idiot!  You can’t do anything to earn eternal life; and if you (in your brazen lack of self-awareness) think you’re perfectly keeping the basic commandments, then I’ll give you more and more commandments until your heart is broken and you’re left pleading for grace; and then maybe you’ll finally understand.”

So, no; I don’t read this incident as evidence that perfect compliance with the Mosaic code can, or ever did, ultimately result in eternal life.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

The Law of Moses was given as a lesser law only because it was incomplete.  But there was enough there that if they followed it (by first, obeying the letter of the law) they would eventually capture the spirit of the law and have the same understanding as we have with Latter-day revelation.

The wealthy man first addressed the Savior: Good Master...

Jesus replied: 

Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

Mark 10:18

He actually gave him the answer before the man said anything about himself.  But he brought the conversation back down to this man's level.

Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

Mark 10:19

The response from the young man was the same mistake all of us make.  We tend to think that because we're "reasonably good" we can be considered righteous.  No.  That is not what makes us righteous or good.  All of us sin.  All of us fall short of the glory of God whether under the Law of Moses or under the Everlasting Gospel which we enjoy in the Dispensation of the Fulness of Times.  None are good but God.

So, when the man says "I'm actually doing all that, so, I'm actually a pretty good guy."

Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest:

Mark 10:21

The response was not just about giving away all his possessions.  It was

...and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

Not only do we stop caring so much about earthly possessions, but we must be willing to suffer as Christ suffered, and follow the path that he has trod.

Since we cannot do what He did with exactness, we are given the gift of repentance.  While none of us are "good" (Mosiah 2:20-25) we can be numbered among the righteous if AND ONLY IF we make use of the power of the Atonement and repent with all our hearts and continue in repentance.

19 And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.

2 Ne 31:19

How do we gain Eternal Life?

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 14:6

20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen.

2 Ne 31:20-21

26 And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?

27 And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

28 ¶ Then Peter began to say unto him, Lo, we have left all, and have followed thee.

29 And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel’s,

30 But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

Mark 10:26-30

Edited by Carborendum

Going back to Mark, and the denouement of the encounter:  

26 And they [the disciples] were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?
27 And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

As per the rich young man…

20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

My personal interpretation?

The young man was lying.  He had not kept the commandments.  (No one is able to keep the commandments excepting Jesus).  Christ knew that he was trying to be showy and prideful.  So Christ took him down a notch, publicly.

He needed it.  Hopefully he became more circumspect.

A discussion about the young rich ruler was not my original intent but it's definitely good subject material so I will jump in.

I have personally always appreciated Bruce R McConkie's treatment of this story and even had part of it written on a sticky note in my scriptures. But here it is in whole:

There came to Jesus, on a certain occasion, a rich young man who asked: “What good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?”
            Our Lord’s answer was the obvious one, the one given by all the prophets of all the ages. It was: “If thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.”
            The next question was: “Which commandments?”
            Jesus listed them: “Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.”
            Then came this response and query—for the young man was a good man, a faithful man, one who sought righteousness: “All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?”
            We might well ask, “Isn’t it enough to keep the commandments? What more is expected of us than to be true and faithful to every trust? Is there more than the law of obedience?”
            In the case of our rich young friend there was more. He was expected to live the law of consecration, to sacrifice his earthly possessions, for the answer of Jesus was: “If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.”
            As you know, the young man went away sorrowful, “for he had great possessions.” (Matt. 19:16–22.) And we are left to wonder what intimacies he might have shared with the Son of God, what fellowship he might have enjoyed with the apostles, what revelations and visions he might have received, if he had been able to live the law of a celestial kingdom. As it is he remains nameless; as it might have been, his name could have been had in honorable remembrance among the saints
forever.

The sentiment of that last paragraph always gets me. Whether or not the young rich man was good or otherwise, I think this invitation as interpreted by McConkie is still legit in it's application to all of us. The Lord truly offers us everything we could hope for but it requires everything from us in return.