CNN Reports on Kari Lake "Attack"

Carborendum

You may have heard that Arizona gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake received some envelopes with "suspicious white powder" in them.

An unfortunate misprint was found in the CNN coverage.

A staffer at Kari Lake’s campaign headquarters in Phoenix opened an envelope that contained white power, a campaign spokesman told CNN.

Wow.  I didn't know that could be put in an envelope.

But the following wasn't a misprint.  It was an intentional deception.

Arizona has been a hot bed of extremist anger and threats against political and election officials. Those threats have been leveled against both Democratic and Republican leaders.

What Democratic leaders in Arizona have been attacked?  I just did a search.  The only "attacks" were typical verbal attacks on normal campaign trails.  No one attacked any person in Hobbs campaign.  Some random guy appeared to have broken into an office to do some burglary.  But no attacks on any people.

Yeah, makes them sleep better at night telling themselves that the attacks are not lopsided.

I saw nothing on CNN about this supporter.

Edited by Carborendum

16 hours ago, Carborendum said:

You may have heard that Arizona gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake received some envelopes with "suspicious white powder" in them.

An unfortunate misprint was found in the CNN coverage.

Wow.  I didn't know that could be put in an envelope.

But the following wasn't a misprint.  It was an intentional deception.

What Democratic leaders in Arizona have been attacked?  I just did a search.  The only "attacks" were typical verbal attacks on normal campaign trails.  No one attacked any person in Hobbs campaign.  Some random guy appeared to have broken into an office to do some burglary.  But no attacks on any people.

Yeah, makes them sleep better at night telling themselves that the attacks are not lopsided.

I saw nothing on CNN about this supporter.

I'm confused about what you thought can't be put into an envelope.

White powder?

You don't think someone can put white powder in an envelope?

What type of envelopes are you used to?

Powder is easily put in envelopes if the envelopes are sealable.

That's what caused the Anthrax scares a little over a decade ago, people mailing powder in an envelope to various individuals and saying it was anthrax.

Anyways...

I can't say I've heard about the reports about Kari Lake.  It may be where I am located that this news hasn't gotten to me, or it may be I just haven't caught the news at the right time. 

I heard about the attack on Nancy Pelosi's residence.  That was pretty vile.  That's the only BIG news about an attack that I've heard on a US politician recently though.  I could be out of the loop. 

Edit: So I looked this up, since you seem to think it is some sort of conspiracy from the "Liberal news" network.

This is what I found...NOT from CNN, but from Foxnews.

Kari Lake on suspicious items in the mail

From the article...

"But listen, we're in dangerous times," she said. "This is not the first time we've been threatened. I've been threatened many times. Our tires have been slashed. We've had screws drilled into our tires so that our tires would blow out while we're on the road. We are living in dangerous times, and that's why we need to elect somebody who's strong and a fighter and not a coward. We'll get to the bottom of this. I really don't want to get too far ahead of it."

It looks like she is using it to turn it into a campaign promotion or something.

It looks like there have been other actual attacks as well, one on a Republican, two others on Democrats (one of which I mentioned already).

New York GOP Rep. and gubernatorial candidate Lee Zeldin was attacked at a campaign event in July by a man wielding a sharp object, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's husband Paul was hospitalized two weeks ago after a man who broke into their San Francisco home hit him with a hammer and Arizona Democrat gubernatorial candidate Katie Hobbs' campaign headquarters in Phoenix was broken into last week.

I expect they'll find it was flour or some other substance, though if it turns out it was something like Anthrax I expect a general alarm to be sounded and a much more vigorous hunt on whoever sent it.  If it's flour though or something similar...probably still looking for the person but probably not as big a search.

Edited by JohnsonJones

32 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Check your FB inbox. 

I hope you won't mind my posting here, the same thoughts I posted in reply to your PM:

Yeah, I have mixed feelings. One doesn't want to be unnecessarily doom-and-gloom--you've frequently (and rightly) pointed out that materially, humankind is better off now than at any point in history and that certain key indicators of (for lack of a human term) "human misery" are on the long-term decline. It's easy to poke fun at the doomsayers; particularly the mainline Christians who have literally been anticipating the Second Coming (and all the horrors that precede it) for the last two thousand years. And I don't have a lot of patience for people who try to associate Biblical prophecies/the antiChrist/etc with any particular modern individual, institution, or event--from a mainline Christian point of view, I see no compelling evidence as to why the "End Times" might not be another thousand years away.

On the other hand--I'm not a mainline Christian, I'm a Latter-day Saint; and we have some unique scriptures and prophesies that do suggest that tough times are ahead and that they will probably find us sooner rather than later. And frankly, I feel like there are some cultural foundation stones that are necessary for a democratic republic to survive and thrive in the long term (e.g. civility, honesty, commitment, rule of law, work ethic/discipline, sexual probity, tolerance for and a modicum of trust towards people who think differently than ourselves, free exchange of ideas, rationalism/the scientific method, willingness to sacrifice, thinking and planning for the long term, trustworthy institutions and a populace willing to trust those institutions, et cetera).  And I do think that most of those foundation stones are rapidly eroding away. I see the pre-Trump Republican Party as one of the last institutional bastions pushing back against that trend; and Trump pretty much eviscerated all of the GOP's credibility on those issues. I don't see the GOP getting that credibility back even if they wanted to--and many of Trump's supporters frankly don't seem to care if they get it back or not.

What does it matter if the modern GOP happens to be "right" on the economy, if a) by the time they're back in power a full-blown economic catastrophe is under way and b) they're wrong about everything else?

Edited by Just_A_Guy