Supplemental Evidence

Poseidon

A person's main reasoning for having faith in Christ should be the witnesses of the Spirit, but the Lord also offers us other witnesses to strengthen our belief when our ability to rely solely on the Spirit's voice is weak. Some people lean heavily on the testimony of trusted loved one, others lean on archeological evidence or historical evidence. And while these shouldn't be the foundation of our testimony, they can be helpful while someone is the process of building their testimony. 

So I'm wondering, what are some other pieces of "supplemental evidence" (i.e., evidence in addition to the Spirit's voice) that has aided the growth of your testimony?  

4 hours ago, laronius said:

I would say experience is a big one. The Lord says "prove me" and that's what happens every time I exercise faith, blessings follow. The evidence of experience is crucial to my testimony.

You remind me of something Elder Bednar taught: Assurance, action, and evidence influence each other in an ongoing process. This helix is like a coil, and as it spirals upward it expands and widens. These three elements of faith—assurance, action, and evidence—are not separate and discrete; rather, they are interrelated and continuous and cycle upward. And the faith that fuels this ongoing process develops, evolves, and changes. As we again turn and face forward toward an uncertain future, assurance leads to action and produces evidence, which further increases assurance. Our confidence waxes stronger, line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2007/09/seek-learning-by-faith?lang=eng

4 hours ago, laronius said:

I would say experience is a big one. The Lord says "prove me" and that's what happens every time I exercise faith, blessings follow. The evidence of experience is crucial to my testimony.

Have you, or anyone else, ever felt you relied on the Lord and he let you down? 

47 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

This is a great question, which "let you down" ultimately believes our thoughts are greater than the Lord's thoughts, or our understanding of the how and why is greater than the Lord's understanding of the how and why.

Yes, I personally felt this way 13 years ago as a result of two experiences in my life. I would think the women and children who were faithful burning in the fire (in comparison to the three in the OT) were being "let down" -- so to speak. I doubt they were happy, joyful, and having a feeling of this is great while be burned alive.

I like this thought of supplemental evidence -- however weak it might be in comparison to the witness of the Holy Ghost. Supplemental evidence, the simple answer to a prayer from someone who visits you at the right time.

The supplemental evidence of when a person says, "I don't know why but I need to share this...", and it is exactly what you needed to hear and were praying for.

The supplemental evidence of a leader who decides to take you to the DI as they were shopping for another person and wanted your company. While there, they stop at a desk, turn to you and say, "I believe this is the perfect desk for you. You mind if I purchase it for you." Little did they know, a family shared, a couple days prior I had prayed for. We had no money, our kids clothes after being washed were always on the clean but dirty floor. I cried I could not afford it.

There are many other stories, but these suffice for this OP.

Edited by Anddenex

5 minutes ago, mikbone said:

Once, I thought that He had.  But I was mistaken.  

Likewise. I've learned that times I feel let down were times I made false assumptions about what it was he promised. The story of the women and children being burned is a good example. 

11 hours ago, Poseidon said:

This is an interesting question. I have definitely questioned why before but at the end of the day I have always realized that the Lord always knows what's best for me. My problem, or weakness, has been that in the midst of recognizing the Lord's omniscience, I have often wished for an alternative "good enough" way that yielded the kind of life I thought it would give me. "Good enough" has always been a shortcoming of mine in multiple areas of my life and the Lord has not wanted any part of it, to the point that he has been willing to put parts of my life on hold with definite NOs until I get past that mindset. But even in this I at least have the common sense to recognize how my testimony is tied to the belief that the Lord's way is the best way.

That kind of got off topic a bit but oh well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 12:06 PM, Poseidon said:

There have been a great many times when the Lord has not done what I wanted or expected or asked for, but the fault has been with me and not with Him. 

I often give an answer to this question which causes people to get the wrong idea.

I approach "knowledge" of spiritual things much the same way I go about obtaining knowledge of "temporal" things.

The immediate assumption is that I obtain knowledge of spiritual things through experimentation as would a scientist obtain knowledge about scientific things.  But the fact is that experimentation (a-la the pure scientific method) is not how anyone obtains the bulk of spiritual or scientific knowledge.