Multiple Callings

Nerk

How many callings should an indvidual member have? 

Because right now, I have 2 Stake Callings and 3 Ward Callings. In addition to that, I can't find a work because I don't even have time to go work because I'm also studying in BYU Pathway with Institute Program. I'm not a murmuring type of person but this is a lot for me now that I'm already a returned missionary. I'm just overwhelmed because there's an invitation again.

Should I accept another calling? Does anyone have some sort of solution in mind? 

I was always told that you shouldn't turn down a calling.   But I have twice.  I knew that the circumstances in my life at the time weren't the right time for me to take on more responsibility.  I don't regret my decision.  

I have never felt the need to turn a calling down, and right now I have 3...one of which was actually extended to me this week: one in my ward, one in my stake, and 1 at my Temple. Having 5 is a lot, and if you are working along with going to school you will be stretched pretty thin. I would ask to speak with a member of the Bishopric and let them know your situation.

I have been a counselor in the Bishopric multiple times, and we never refused to release a person when they asked for it - both Bishops were more than understanding. When the individuals let me know, I would usually ask them what they preferred us to do. Most releases were done that next Sunday, but if the calling was one that absolutely needed a person in it, it usually took us no more than 2 weeks to make a change.

Edited by scottyg

I also agree with laronius' post in that we never really knew what people were dealing with in their lives until they brought it up to us. The Bishopric doesn't have a crystal ball or anything like that, so don't be afraid to let them know your current circumstances.

Edited by scottyg

19 hours ago, Nerk said:

Because right now, I have 2 Stake Callings and 3 Ward Callings. In addition to that, I can't find a work because I don't even have time to go work because I'm also studying in BYU Pathway with Institute Program. I'm not a murmuring type of person but this is a lot for me now that I'm already a returned missionary. I'm just overwhelmed because there's an invitation again.

Should I accept another calling? Does anyone have some sort of solution in mind? 

I would discuss the concern with your Bishop.

On 11/18/2022 at 12:52 PM, scottyg said:

I have been a counselor in the Bishopric multiple times, and we never refused to release a person when they asked for it - both Bishops were more than understanding. When the individuals let me know, I would usually ask them what they preferred us to do.

Did they have multiple callings? If so, then the Bishopric is in the wrong for not following the handbook and putting an unnecessary burden on the member to struggle with that situation. People are exercising faith when they accept callings, and a Bishop should consider their responsibility in extending callings.

It would not be hard for OP's bishop to open his app and see the list of callings under OP's name. The burden should not be on a faithful young man, who wants to serve and sustain his leaders, to decide how to move forward. The bishop should read the handbook, pray to know the Lord's will regarding which calling is right for OP, and extend one calling. That's his job. OP's role is to faithfully accept.

40 minutes ago, Comp said:

Did they have multiple callings? If so, then the Bishopric is in the wrong for not following the handbook and putting an unnecessary burden on the member to struggle with that situation. People are exercising faith when they accept callings, and a Bishop should consider their responsibility in extending callings.

It would not be hard for OP's bishop to open his app and see the list of callings under OP's name. The burden should not be on a faithful young man, who wants to serve and sustain his leaders, to decide how to move forward. The bishop should read the handbook, pray to know the Lord's will regarding which calling is right for OP, and extend one calling. That's his job. OP's role is to faithfully accept.

I agree with your overall point here and I'm a big proponent of following the handbook. But I think the general idea behind one calling is so someone is not overburdened rather than having multiple callings is not good for the mere reason of having multiple callings. For example I currently hold two callings, one on the ward level and one on the stake level. But the stake level one does not require a ton from me so it's not an issue. But the responsibility or time commitment of both callings does not even come close to that of say Relief Society or Elder's quorum president President, which are only one calling each. So it really just depends on the situation. But I agree that extending multiple callings should be accompanied by a discussion upon what that person can reliably handle.

3 hours ago, Comp said:

Some did, and some just had one. Those who have multiple usually only need to serve in them on occasion. For example we had one sister who served as a relief society pianist and also as a ward family history consultant. Another brother served as a sunday school secretary and ward missionary. Memebrs that had any calling that required service multiple times a week, like a youth leader or RS / EQ pres member never had more than one...unless they chose to seek them out.

It also depends on your current life situation. Retired empty nesters usually have more time to serve than a young couple with many small children. However, our stake recently released a young bishop a few months ago after 5 years of service who was called at age 29. If the Lord prompts someone to be called...who are we to choose to not extend that call.

One of my current callings is a gospel doctrine instructor, and since our ward has 2, that equates to only 1 lesson a month for me...and I am more than able to serve more than that.

22 hours ago, Comp said:

One.

From the Handbook:

image.thumb.png.a2a637ebc870b21222fecd08dc935db8.png

This is VERY geography defined.  Living in a small ward or branch (i.e. less than 20 members) the reality is that even without all callings filled e.g. half a bishopric, that to fulfill the basics some of us need to have more than one calling to accommodate those who are not in a position to do so.  Then The stake has roles which need filling too - and when 5 out 8 wards/branches have an average of 20 adult attendees its not hard to see why.

On 11/17/2022 at 11:39 PM, Nerk said:

Depends on the callings. If you have 4 callings that are only one Sunday a month, then adding another calling that is only one Sunday a month doesn't seem to be a heavy load. In other cases, 1 calling is sufficient and you shouldn't add anymore, and there shouldn't be any expectation from the leaders to add another.

If you have a significant calling and the leaders are adding more on to you, then the leaders need to go back and read the Handbook more carefully.

As to whether or not you accept another calling, that is between you and the Lord. Once you have one calling any other calling results in what you can truly handle. If I have one calling and am offered another my first thought will be, am I in a position to accept another calling? What is my work load?

My concern here is that you say you can't work. If you have funds that allows you not to work, then great! If not, then you need to ask to be released from 4 callings, say no to the new one, and find a job so you can be self-reliant.

Politely let leadership know, that you are overwhelmed and that you have other priorities that need to be accepted.

Again, this is between you and the Lord. I'm just a random brother on the internet.

On 11/18/2022 at 12:39 AM, Nerk said:

I once asked to be released due to mental health concerns and the bishop was really understanding. 

On 11/18/2022 at 10:43 AM, pam said:

I was always told that you shouldn't turn down a calling.   But I have twice.  I knew that the circumstances in my life at the time weren't the right time for me to take on more responsibility.  I don't regret my decision.  

I don't believe the "never turn down a calling" idea. But I do think it's a great place to start from. Struggling over a calling one doesn't want for whatever reason is extremely important to growth, and being driven by feeling like you're supposed to take a calling offered, pretty much no matter what, is very useful to finding humility. But.... there are times and places when, I believe, one SHOULD, indeed, turn down a calling. But...man oh man my danger alert warning lights come a flashin' on at that idea. How easy to abuse, right? How easy to talk oneself into not accepting and justifying it?

Don't take what I said above as in any way reflective of my thinking you shouldn't have turned down callings. Your comment was simply a springboard for my thoughts. I'm trying to say I agree with your point. Sometimes it's right. But boy howdy that's a tread-lightly thing.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An odd thing happened with callings in our Branch last Sunday. The entire Elders Quorum Presidency was released, and no one was called to take their place. I haven't seen something like that in about 20 years when I was living in another stake and one man was the EQP in two wards and a Branch at the same time.

17 hours ago, askandanswer said:

An odd thing happened with callings in our Branch last Sunday. The entire Elders Quorum Presidency was released, and no one was called to take their place. I haven't seen something like that in about 20 years when I was living in another stake and one man was the EQP in two wards and a Branch at the same time.

The calling of EQP is different in that it falls under the governance of the stake presidency. Makes me wonder if stakes have more freedom in how they use or don't use that calling.