Another Predictable Gun Ban

Carborendum

26 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Forget about definitions or percentages of people who want to completely abolish police.  How do you think the words "defund the police" have produced in reality?  What has been the practical resulting reality?

Heh.  Halfway-related, but in 2018, Colorado Springs figured out that speed kills, so they put a more restrictive police pursuit policy in place.  It worked, and the number of high-speed pursuits declined:

image.thumb.png.908f2bbf0c326b05d5c881dcb6f45be9.png

What could possibly go wrong?  Well, people found out cops usually won't follow you if they try to pull you over, and you just floor it.  Eludings doubled.

image.thumb.png.e28bbf5f872260a092c011e0f87b9502.png

So, be clear - ColSpgs police did around 30 fewer pursuits per year.  And felony high-speed eludings increased by ~250 per year.   Speed kills, so the effort to avoid high speed deaths resulted in more people speeding.  Now the city council is trying to put things back to the way they were before some random schmoe speeds away from his speeding ticket and kills someone.

It's human nature.  "I don't break the law because I'll get caught and punished."  So, what happens when you find out your police department's funding has been slashed, resulting in less officers on the street to catch you doing bad things?  

It's not rocket science.

Edited by NeuroTypical

16 minutes ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

My question is what will the Canadian government do to their people after they have confiscated their firearms?  If a government  disarms the common people they are no longer citizens but subjects.

I also have a practical question that sounds ridiculous at first. But what about Polar bears? Are they like alligators down here where they are very timid towards humans? Or they just so big that they fear nothing? 

We coexist with the gators. If you leave them alone they'll leave you alone. So we don’t feel the need to walk around armed. Are polar bears like that?

Edited by LDSGator

1 hour ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

My question is what will the Canadian government do to their people after they have confiscated their firearms?  If a government  disarms the common people they are no longer citizens but subjects.

What I'd really like to see is the US government designate refugee status for pro-gun Canadian immigrants.  But, of course, that would have to include the same restrictions as other refugees -- i.e. they cannot return to their homeland from which they are fleeing.

7 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

Here's the chart of MAID (Medical Assistance In Dying) deaths in Canada, by province and year:
image.thumb.png.0fe985888e4c64a0f4d1ac5c07ba6191.png

Apparently they're quite keen on suggesting MAID to veterans trying to get help for their PTSD and suicidal thoughts:

https://nationalpost.com/news/second-canadian-forces-member-alleges-veterans-canada-offered-medically-assisted-death-during-support-call

“I had been suffering from PTSD and recently had a lot of suicidal thoughts,” Bruce told Meincke during the gripping and emotional podcast, explaining he’d contacted Veterans Affairs Canada for help and awaited a return call from a caseworker.

“I was kinda hoping they would help me with my transition out of the military, help me find new doctors once I get out, and assist me with any other kind of claims I might have.

“I wasn’t expecting them to let me know ‘Hey, we had recently won litigation to assist members with MAID (medical assistance in dying), and you know that’s always an option,'” Bruce recalled, his voice steady but quavering.

“I was a little disturbed that if they had mentioned that to somebody else that was even worse off than I was, that could’ve been that little push over the edge.”

8 hours ago, LDSGator said:

I also have a practical question that sounds ridiculous at first. But what about Polar bears? Are they like alligators down here where they are very timid towards humans? Or they just so big that they fear nothing? 

We coexist with the gators. If you leave them alone they'll leave you alone. So we don’t feel the need to walk around armed. Are polar bears like that?

Polar bears fear no one, largest land predator in the Americas. They are rarely seen however in 90% of Canada. The Browns and Grizzlies are much more prevalent. One of my mission companions was from rural North Alberta, and he told me his neighbor (who lived 10 miles away) once shot a Grizzly going after his sheep/goats, and it took 3 shots from a 30-06 to make it drop. Wolves are also a big problem in many areas, and he saw their tracks all the time.

1 hour ago, scottyg said:

Polar bears fear no one, largest land predator in the Americas. They are rarely seen however in 90% of Canada. The Browns and Grizzlies are much more prevalent. One of my mission companions was from rural North Alberta, and he told me his neighbor (who lived 10 miles away) once shot a Grizzly going after his sheep/goats, and it took 3 shots from a 30-06 to make it drop. Wolves are also a big problem in many areas, and he saw their tracks all the time.

Thanks bud. I had no clue. 

54 minutes ago, scottyg said:

Actually, after further review, Polar Bears are the largest land predator in the world. A few other carnivores are bigger, but they hunt in the water.

I’ll stick to gators, thanks. 

I know very little about guns, even though I vehemently support the second amendment. Guns are like tattoos were in 80’s. Those who knew the least about them wanted to regulate them the most. 

However if I lived in that 10% of Canada where Polar Bears roamed, I’d never leave my house without an M2 Bradley tank. 😉 

Edited by LDSGator

19 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

I’ll stick to gators, thanks. 

I know very little about guns, even though I vehemently support the second amendment. Guns are like tattoos were in 80’s. Those who knew the least about them wanted to regulate them the most. 

Who wanted to regulate tattoos in the 80's?

21 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Who wanted to regulate tattoos in the 80's?

So glad you asked. 

https://www.capecodtimes.com/story/news/2000/11/02/with-state-ban-on-tattoo/51011373007/

“The 38-year ban on tattooing officially ended Oct. 23, when Supreme Court Judge Barbara Rouse ruled that the law unfairly limited a person's constitutional right to freedom of expression.”

Sorry bro, but it did happen. 

Edited by LDSGator

6 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

“The 38-year ban on tattooing officially ended Oct. 23, when Supreme Court Judge Barbara Rouse ruled that the law unfairly limited a person's constitutional right to freedom of expression.”

What a dangerous slippery slope.  Next, they'll be giving left handed people the right to own property.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 9:53 AM, Still_Small_Voice said:

I am calling for using any peaceful means possible currently.  We still have most of the State governments on the side of the 2nd Amendment and the Supreme Court I think.

Someone needs to really challenge these wicked red flag gun confiscation laws.  Citizens are being denied their 2nd, 5th and 6th Amendment rights under these laws and there are about 19 States that have these laws on the books currently. 

I read in Florida if your 2nd Amendment rights and private firearms are stripped from you without your day in court you get no attorney unless you hire your own, and a one in six chance of getting your 2nd Amendment rights back.  They want you to prove that you are not a threat before giving you back your 2nd Amendment liberties.  Unless you are a cripple, confined to a wheelchair without use of your limbs then everyone is a potential threat.

Under the 6th Amendment citizens have these listed rights:

* Right to trial by an impartial jury

* Right to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation

* Right to be confronted with the witnesses against him

* Right to have a process for obtaining witnesses in his favor

* Right to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense.

Red flag gun confiscation laws deny all or many of these rights to American citizens.

What we need is the states to enact Article Five of the Constitution and strip the Federal Government of almost all it's powers. They need to be limited to what the Constitution says they are supposed to do. The 10th Amendment must be enforced in all its power.

2 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

What we need is the states to enact Article Five of the Constitution and strip the Federal Government of almost all it's powers. They need to be limited to what the Constitution says they are supposed to do. The 10th Amendment must be enforced in all its power.

Do you really think that is going to happen? 

10 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Do you think we shouldn't desire or support that happening?

I think one of the biggest issues with politics (and life, really) in general is when people focus on battles they have no chance of winning. Instead of focusing on meaningful, practical change.  It sets you up for constant disappointment, and you’ll be miserable. 

You have every right to focus on whatever battle you want of course.  

Edited by LDSGator

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of those decisions that "infringes" on the constitution, the 2nd amendment. This isn't a decision from someone who love's the constitution. You don't have to ban a gun, you just simply have to ban an accessory and you can make millions criminals.

Edited by Anddenex

I heard they sold 30 million of these stabilizing braces across America.  You cannot make over nine million people into felons because you do not like their private firearms.  The higher courts are going to throw this ruling out by the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms.  This bureau has zero authority to make laws.  That is the power of Congress.  They are already challenging this in the courts.