Equally Yoked - Analogy

Anddenex

Any thoughts beyond the video? Personally, I find myself a bit turned off by most generic takes on being "equally yoked" because "equally yoked" is usually referring to the "lesser" status of mixed faith marriages. Since my wife and kids have left the church, I can never tell if someone like this would just as soon see me divorce my wife so that I can remarry a faithful marry (in the mixed-faith marriage circles I frequent, it is not uncommon to encounter people who advocate for divorce and remarriage solely because one spouse leaves the church).

Again, I could be missing the point (the video was short and focused only on the axe getting dulled by wood analogy), but it seems to me that my relationships with my family and others who have left the church are still useful in sharpening myself. I'm not sure that an interpretation that a Christian cannot find themself sharpened in their relationships with non-Christians is completely true. I expect that those of use with relationships with non-LDS/non-Christians can point to ways that non-Christians have helped us grow and develop. I'm not sure that all "sharpening" exclusively occurs in LDS-LDS or Christian-Christian relationships.

Those are my reactions. As I note, they mostly start from the idea that being "equally yoked" is something St. Paul said to discourage Christians from marrying outside of the faith. If you want to go a different direction with the metaphor, I'm open to other directions.

11 hours ago, MrShorty said:

Any thoughts beyond the video? Personally, I find myself a bit turned off by most generic takes on being "equally yoked" because "equally yoked" is usually referring to the "lesser" status of mixed faith marriages. Since my wife and kids have left the church, I can never tell if someone like this would just as soon see me divorce my wife so that I can remarry a faithful marry (in the mixed-faith marriage circles I frequent, it is not uncommon to encounter people who advocate for divorce and remarriage solely because one spouse leaves the church).

Again, I could be missing the point (the video was short and focused only on the axe getting dulled by wood analogy), but it seems to me that my relationships with my family and others who have left the church are still useful in sharpening myself. I'm not sure that an interpretation that a Christian cannot find themself sharpened in their relationships with non-Christians is completely true. I expect that those of use with relationships with non-LDS/non-Christians can point to ways that non-Christians have helped us grow and develop. I'm not sure that all "sharpening" exclusively occurs in LDS-LDS or Christian-Christian relationships.

Those are my reactions. As I note, they mostly start from the idea that being "equally yoked" is something St. Paul said to discourage Christians from marrying outside of the faith. If you want to go a different direction with the metaphor, I'm open to other directions.

There's a difference between someone who from the beginning enters into an unequally yoked relationship and a relationship which eventually becomes unequally yoked over time. I think there are differing degrees of unequalness as well. Another Christian could have many of the same values as we do which is definitely better than someone who becomes very worldly. 

An interesting thought that I haven't considered before is the relationship between being yoked to a spouse (equally or not) and being yoked with Christ, which is always unequal in our favor. The Savior could pull us along kicking and screaming if He wanted to but he doesn't. So it should be with marriage. Marriage vows do not forfeit a person's agency and we must be willing to work with that. 

16 hours ago, MrShorty said:

Any thoughts beyond the video? ....

The main point of the analogy, at least in my perception, is the final relationship between iron and wood, "One will become damaged, while the other will become dull."  In contrast if both are iron it depends on how the iron is used. The final relationship between iron and iron can also be, "One will become damaged, while the other will become dull." However, if iron and iron are used properly (not against each other), then one can easily sharpen their tool.

The danger of any analogy or metaphor is to get caught up in the multiple nuances of potential meaning rather than simply paying attention to the intention of the analogy. For example, I have seen individuals get caught up with the widow's mite. Some have said, "Well, it was only two mites! It's easy to give 100% when you have very little." Although true, this subsequently disregards what the Lord was teaching, because the widow could have easily said also, "I don't have anything to give, what I have I need for one last meal and then die." BUT she didn't, she gave what she had knowing she would probably die anyway without money to buy food.

This minister could actually believe exactly what you are saying with regards to marriage and divorce; although, his analogy does have weight in such a circumstance. I have a family member, and I also know of others, who have left the Church. My family member, should have remained strong rather than weak minded. If a spouse is threatening divorce, or becomes a source of "damage" that would ultimately "dull" your love for the Lord, in that case, take matters to the Lord and remember the first and great commandment is to "love" God first. How a person chooses to do that, is between them and the Lord, and we also know from scripture that "love" can hide a multitude of sins. In some cases, it is the love of the spouse (faithful spouse) that returns lost ones back to the gospel.

I watched a young lady of five kids cry due to the damage now being caused by her husband who was leaving the Church. She eventually left the Church also and now her kids will grow up without the gospel. In that case, as an outsider, I would have said the better choice would have been to let him leave, and then do her best to raise her posterity in righteousness. We can't force anyone, nor anyone's mind, but we do have control of our own destiny (the choices we make every day) and our testimony.

I'm sorry you find yourself in such a difficult scenario, and with everything else you have shared pertaining to health.

With my family member, we will in this case liken him unto iron. He continually seeks to find fault with the Church. Anything he can wrest, make an offender for a word/phrase, he is doing so. In this case, he is constantly swinging the iron to chop down the trunk (wood) of any other faithful believer. You know the type, they have their own phrase -- mocking words -- toward faithful believing members of the Church. They throw out the word "Mormon" with disrespect to continue to try to prove a point while asking that others love them and show respect. I don't have any problem being around him; however, if he wants to swing the axe constantly rather than be mutually beneficial, then I don't care about being around him. He is simply "dulling" his ability to listen and hear the Holy Ghost. He is "damaging" others so that he may feel more justified in his decisions now. The Lord has also made it clear that if your eye offends you, pluck it out. There is only so much "damage" to accept and receive before you simply say, I'm OK with not being around him. I won't forsake him. If he wants to come around, call, etc... my hand is always outstretched toward friendship and brotherly love, but if he wants to only swing the axe -- I'm OK to not even provide the option until he is willing to do what he demands from others -- be respectful and kind.