There seems to be the beginnings of a crackdown at BYU . . .

Just_A_Guy

49 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

The church was clearly trying to clean house under the table to keep it from becoming a huge scandal. Way to go. You just outed them. ;)

JAG sneakily looked on the Church's public media board.

1 hour ago, mikbone said:

It was more than that.

My wife who graduated from J Ruben Clark Law School was involved with the incident.

CKF was the academic advisor for the VOICE BYU branch.

My wife noticed that VOICE had taken out an ad in the Daily Universe inviting BYU students to a meeting that taught how to use home abortion kits.

She spent a day in the law school frantically trying to get her professors to recognize the harm in the advertisement.  Finally she found an advocate who got her in touch with Bruce Hafen the Provost.  

From that meeting she was then scheduled to see Rex E. Lee.  Boyd K Packer was notified by phone and things then moved very rapidly.

Oh, yes.  I remember VOICE. Only vaguely.  I actually went on a few dates with one girl who attended those meetings.  I didn't know that until after I stopped dating her.  

Funny thing... she broke it off when I shared with her my idea of the idyllic life of a traditional family.  Some time later, she wanted to get back together with me.  I asked her, "Why?"  She stammered for a while and eventually just dropped the idea and we went our separate ways.  We still attended school together for another couple of years.  So, we were cordial.  But we knew there wouldn't be any kind of happily ever after when we clearly didn't share the same values and goals.

She didn't want to have children.  I did. 

She saw marriage as a somewhat desirable evil but not really necessary.  I saw it as a holy sacrament that would join two separate people into one whole.

What kind of future was there for us?

That is a metaphor.  What kind of future is there for people in the Church who clearly don't want to follow its tenets?

ANYWAY... the student population at large was never privy to that information.

Edited by Carborendum

5 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Oh, yes.  I remember VOICE. Only vaguely.  I actually went on a few dates with one girl who attended those meetings.  I didn't know that until after I stopped dating her.  

I went to one meeting with my wife.  She is political, me not so much.

Anyway, they had some “expert” professor from out East come in for a special discussion.  

He tried to teach us about the Kinsey scale.  Telling us that on a scale of 0 to 100.  0 being heterosexual and 100 being homosexual everyone is somewhere in-between.  That no one is a zero or a hundred.  I took umbrage at his questioning of my manhood.

He then went on to to tell us about the brilliant and wonderful Dr Kinsey.

A0641470-1F52-4D28-BB95-DFEACE769345.thumb.jpeg.15e0530b3fe287b5e19082d7ee5315a0.jpeg

Organizations get to do boundary maintenance.  The chess club gets to kick out people who like checkers more, and spend effort trying to get other chess club members to play checkers instead.

Let 'em start their own progressive-themed mormon-themed university on their own, and the market can decide.  Just need a bunch of "this university is not owned, sanctioned, supported, or recommended by the CoJCoLDS."

We've seen something similar, watching what happened to the Boy Scouts after the mormons dumped it.  

Edited by NeuroTypical

On 12/3/2022 at 8:55 AM, mirkwood said:

I went and found her FB page.  I didn't see anything that indicates she is still active and/or a member.  She's definitely quite the leftist.

I found her on some "famous Mormons" website.  It spoke about her as if it were a present condition.  But who knows if it is accurate.

I recently came across a newly-minted term that is very descriptive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moralistic_therapeutic_deism

It is only tangentially related to the topic at hand.  But it does describe exactly what is happening in today's world.  The main thing that I disagree with this is that there is no requirement for humility or repentance.

We live in a sinful world.  It has always been so.  What's different today?

In my youth there were different types of people we'd normally come across:

• I know I make mistakes, and I'm trying to change.
  • I do some bad things.  But they're not so bad.
  • I know you think I'm a big sinner.  But I just don't see anything wrong with it.
  • Criminal / felonious level evil people who were often sent to prison.

Today, we have a new level added to the list:

• I am not sinning.  I'm fighting for a noble cause.  You should be praising it, not condemning it.  And if you think there's something wrong with it, you should be cancelled. 

The difference between the wicked and the righteous is repentance.  This last level is a philosophy that makes repentance a sin.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Today, we have a new level added to the list:

• I am not sinning.  I'm fighting for a noble cause.  You should be praising it, not condemning it.  And if you think there's something wrong with it, you should be cancelled. 

The difference between the wicked and the righteous is repentance.  This last level is a philosophy that makes repentance a sin.

Reminds me of 4 Nephi 38:

And it came to pass that they who rejected the gospel were called Lamanites, and Lemuelites, and Ishmaelites; and they did not dwindle in unbelief, but they did wilfully rebel against the gospel of Christ; and they did teach their children that they should not believe, even as their fathers, from the beginning, did dwindle.

On 12/2/2022 at 8:28 AM, mikbone said:

The F.B.I. loves to recruit Latter Day Saints.  I'd rather send the rest of my children to an unaccredited B.Y.U.

If you know anyone wanting to get into the Federal Bureau of Investigations I would advise otherwise.  The organization has not gone in a good direction in recent years.

2 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

If you know anyone wanting to get into the Federal Bureau of Investigations I would advise otherwise.  The organization has not gone in a good direction in recent years.

Good to know.

Not surprising.

James Comey…