What have we come to?

mikbone

On 1/12/2023 at 4:22 PM, NeuroTypical said:

In case anyone’s blood pressure is too low, this is pretty much guaranteed to raise it a few points…

Well, this one is even worse and it is a true story.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/maryland-refused-to-give-back-a-virginia-runaway-because-her-parents-misgendered-her-then-she-was-sex-trafficked-mother-says

Please, can we stop pretending that this is an ideology that doesn't hurt anyone?

Edited by Carborendum

https://www.kxxv.com/news/in-depth/kisd-teacher-fired-after-assigning-students-worksheets-filled-with-racial-slurs

Someone decided that the best way to teach children about trigger words was to create formal worksheets, including a coloring page.

Someone else decided to use them in their classroom. 

Parents, pay attention to what your kids are learning.

Looking over the story, I'm literally chuckling to myself that anyone would be so, you know, s-t-_-p-i-d as to give such an assignment, much less with "worksheets". Yet as outrageous as such an "assignment" would be, it is less offensive than many such things that schools routinely offer to children.

Parents, I say this as a concerned brother: Homeschool your children. Get them out of public schools. Find a way to make it happen. There is no second chance at rearing your children. Seriously. Please. Keep them home and educate them yourselves. Team up with other families that share your basic values. Do whatever it takes. If you have to change jobs, change jobs. If you have to move, move. If you have to sell your boat or third car or downsize your house to afford it, do it. Nothing is more precious than your children. Protect them. Keep them away from the cesspool that is public education.

7 hours ago, Vort said:

Looking over the story, I'm literally chuckling to myself that anyone would be so, you know, s-t-_-p-i-d as to give such an assignment, much less with "worksheets". Yet as outrageous as such an "assignment" would be, it is less offensive than many such things that schools routinely offer to children.

Parents, I say this as a concerned brother: Homeschool your children. Get them out of public schools. Find a way to make it happen. There is no second chance at rearing your children. Seriously. Please. Keep them home and educate them yourselves. Team up with other families that share your basic values. Do whatever it takes. If you have to change jobs, change jobs. If you have to move, move. If you have to sell your boat or third car or downsize your house to afford it, do it. Nothing is more precious than your children. Protect them. Keep them away from the cesspool that is public education.

It's something of a bitter irony that the more "progressive" someone considers themselves to be, the *more* likely they are to either embody or feed the very things they claim that they're trying to educate others against. This is because they so often get caught up in what they're attempting to push that they don't stop to consider their behaviors or the consequences of their actions. 

And it's happening again.

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2023/january/whats-the-nature-of-your-prayer-today-army-vet-fined-for-silent-prayer-near-uk-abortion-clinic

As disappointing as this is, I kinda wonder if enough people get arrested for this that maybe, just maybe, they will change the law.

5 hours ago, Carborendum said:

And it's happening again.

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2023/january/whats-the-nature-of-your-prayer-today-army-vet-fined-for-silent-prayer-near-uk-abortion-clinic

As disappointing as this is, I kinda wonder if enough people get arrested for this that maybe, just maybe, they will change the law.

I don't know how many people here remember it, but a few years ago there was a massive to-do down in Houston. 

The city council passed the "HERO" law, which was supposed to be a broad swath of pro-LGBT legislation.

Several ministers in Houston felt that something of that magnitude should have been put to a vote, and so they launched a petition movement to get it on the next election. 

They crossed the local threshold needed, but for reasons that weren't fully explained *entire pages* of signatures were rejected by the city.

The ministers sued, their goal being to either force the city to explain or force the city to accept those signatures.

In response, the city's lawyers demanded that the ministers turn over transcripts of their sermons and prayers, including any that discussed LGBT issues. 

This went over like a sneeze in an elevator, with pundits like Glen Beck making national-level noise about it. One of the "God's Not Dead" films even referenced it. 

The city threw the lawyers under the bus, the petition was allowed to stand, and sure enough the voters rejected the law at the ballot. 

50 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

No, and no.   Here's the form:
https://portals.veracross.com/catlin/form/inquiry/inquiry?confirmed=true

Here's the school website:
https://www.catlin.edu/admission/apply-to-catlin-gabel

It's a grade 9-12 private school in Portland Oregon.

Ah, good ol portland. The land of soy boys, people afraid to pump their own gas, and "mostly peaceful riots". Gotta love Portland.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 8:19 PM, NeuroTypical said:

image.thumb.png.853dbff14415f391c39d77a8c2e36e12.png

There was a game one of my kids played a while back when they were in college.  It was on a computer. 

It was a space game where you flew ships and the bad guys were cats.  They were lions or tigers that were humanoid or something.

The Cats race started with a K.  The Kit/Kitz/Kitzelf reminds me of that.  That could be cool to go with for a day or two just for the fun of it, though not something I'd probably want to use beyond that.  That is, if it meant you were like the cat or that cat race type thing.  Just for fun on my part, not a permanent thing.

For those who wanted to have it more permanently though, what exactly do those refer to.  What gender is that exactly? 

I have heard of the others, though some of them not in practice (at least not yet.  Students have a wide range of diversity). 

5 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

The Cats race started with a K.  The Kit/Kitz/Kitzelf reminds me of that.  That could be cool to go with for a day or two just for the fun of it, though not something I'd probably want to use beyond that.

Roleplaying and trying on different personalities and styles of speaking is a normal part of regular old child and young adult development. 

For whatever reason, various activist arms of the woke movement have forgotten that, if they were ever taught it.

2 hours ago, LDSGator said:

I’ll never understand why it’s illegal in Oregon to do that. Same in Jersey too I think. 

I had a mission companion from there that was scared to death to do it. He truly thought we would get in trouble by pumping it ourselves. Then, once he knew it was normal, and that it was his area of the country that were the outliers, he still wouldn't do it because he "didn't want to smell like gasoline all day", and something to the effect of "it takes a professional to work with flammable substances".

4 minutes ago, scottyg said:

I had a mission companion from there that was scared to death to do it. He truly thought we would get in trouble by pumping it ourselves. Then, once he knew it was normal, and that it was his area of the country that were the outliers, he still wouldn't do it because he "didn't want to smell like gasoline all day", and something to the effect of "it takes a professional to work with flammable substances".

If you want an explanation as to why so many Europeans freak out about US firearms laws, look no further than scottyg's example above.

10 minutes ago, scottyg said:

Whatever works. I think it’s a foolish law but if the people in Oregon or Jersey like it, it’s their life. 

And if they think it takes a “professional” to pump gasoline they have way more confidence in your average gas station employee than I do. 

Edited by LDSGator

13 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

There was a game one of my kids played a while back when they were in college.  It was on a computer. 

It was a space game where you flew ships and the bad guys were cats.  They were lions or tigers that were humanoid or something.

The Cats race started with a K.  The Kit/Kitz/Kitzelf reminds me of that.  That could be cool to go with for a day or two just for the fun of it, though not something I'd probably want to use beyond that.  That is, if it meant you were like the cat or that cat race type thing.  Just for fun on my part, not a permanent thing.

For those who wanted to have it more permanently though, what exactly do those refer to.  What gender is that exactly? 

I have heard of the others, though some of them not in practice (at least not yet.  Students have a wide range of diversity). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Commander_(franchise)

Sounds like the Wing Commander franchise, as the main enemies were a race of feline humanoids known as the Kilrathi. 

I say "main enemies" as in the last official installment, "Wing Commander: Prophecy", involved humans and Kilrathi joining forces against a third race, aquatic humanoids known as "Nephilim". 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11731777/amp/Trans-swimmer-Lia-Thomas-dropped-pants-exposed-male-genitalia-womens-locker-room.html

“Not even probably a year, two years ago, this would have been considered some form of sexual assault, voyeurism. But now not even are they just allowing it to happen, it’s almost as if these large organizations are encouraging it to happen,' Gaines said.”

Surprise! 

Edited by mikbone