Reminder: Facebook group

mirkwood

We have a Facebook page for those interested in joining.  This allows members to remain in touch should the forums ever shut down, or wish social media contact with other forum members.  Unfortunately it can lead to stalking, I can't seem to get rid of @LDSGator from my FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1680286298907600

6 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

I would join your group if I had a Facebook account.  I hate Facebook and refuse to join.

Ain't no shame.  I think folks who refuse Facebook have the same air of noble purity about them as the People of Ammon who swore their oath of peace and would not fight, even if it meant their deaths. (And I'm only about half joking there.)

26 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Ain't no shame.  I think folks who refuse Facebook have the same air of noble purity about them as the People of Ammon who swore their oath of peace and would not fight, even if it meant their deaths. (And I'm only about half joking there.)

A good thing always to remember whenever talking about the people of Ammon is that they were allowed to make the covenant of absolute non-aggression only because they were a filthy and murderous people who delighted in torture and bloodshed, a people so desperate for repentance that they would sacrifice literally anything, including their own lives and the lives of their loved ones, to obtain forgiveness. God allowed them to make a covenant that he certainly would not have allowed the Nephites to make—indeed, God had specifically commanded otherwise to the Nephites, that they were to defend their own lives and those of their wives and children even unto bloodshed.

The people of Ammon are a great example of repentance, but their methodology is not a model for us to follow. On the contrary, we are much more under the expectations as voiced by the prophet of the Restoration, Joseph Smith, when he said that any man who would not fight for his wife and children was a coward and a bastard.

Most people who go down the, "well the People of Ammon were pacifists" path literally ignore that a) the Nephites put their army between them and the Lamanites, b) they provided food to sustain that army, c), they were about to dig up their weapons and go fight (they were pretty good at warfare) and d) they ended up sending their sons, aka Sons of Helaman, out to fight.  There are sooooo many holes in using them as an example of what to do in the face of violence against you.

29 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Most people who go down the, "well the People of Ammon were pacifists" path literally ignore that a) the Nephites put their army between them and the Lamanites, b) they provided food to sustain that army, c), they were about to dig up their weapons and go fight (they were pretty good at warfare) and d) they ended up sending their sons, aka Sons of Helaman, out to fight.  There are sooooo many holes in using them as an example of what to do in the face of violence against you.

Also e) they were literally being killed off by the thousands before the Nephites stepped in.

1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Also e) they were literally being killed off by the thousands before the Nephites stepped in.

They were, but the pacifists use that as part of their argument.  Oh, I would rather be killed like the People of Ammon then pick up the sword.  They were so converted that they would just die instead.  smh

That whole war had a bunch of rather unique situations in it.  Like near the end, when Moroni and Pahoran went back into Zarahemla and executed everyone who wouldn't join the Nephite army.  Life's good until the government changes hands and you get judged "not true to the cause of freedom" and the good guys inflict death on you.  Good thing that the People of Ammon lived somewhere else...

Anyway, there's a difference between written and actual fighting, but there are at least a dozen chapters of Alma that really remind me of a nasty toxic Facebook thread.  So I'm still supportive of @Still_Small_Voice.  

5 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

That whole war had a bunch of rather unique situations in it.  Like near the end, when Moroni and Pahoran went back into Zarahemla and executed everyone who wouldn't join the Nephite army.  Life's good until the government changes hands and you get judged "not true to the cause of freedom" and the good guys inflict death on you.  Good thing that the People of Ammon lived somewhere else...

Anyway, there's a difference between written and actual fighting, but there are at least a dozen chapters of Alma that really remind me of a nasty toxic Facebook thread.  So I'm still supportive of @Still_Small_Voice.  

Anyone is free to use social media or not use it, but I thank God for Facebook. I found the church through FB (oversimplification) and also found one of my closest friends. I was best man at his wedding last year. 

( @Still_Small_Voice this is not about you personally so ignore it) 

What I’ve noticed is how you feel about Facebook is largely how you feel about the world. If you hate people and fear technology, Facebook isn’t for you. If you grew up in a small community where few shared your interests, then social media is, quite literally, a Godsend. 

15 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Oh I am too in regards to social media.  I'm not supportive of the false narrative pacifists use about the People of Ammon.

I love people but I hate what many social media connections are doing to our youth.  The younger generations spend so much time on social media versus so litlle time in the scriptures so their fragile testimonies of Heavenly Father and Christ are being destroyed.  Also, I hate what Facebook does with your personal information as they use it against you or for their own purposes.  

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

We need to remember that the Kingmen were using the "distraction" of the war to take over the government.  It was a rebellion/revolution. Chief Judge was on the run.  And in the end, they CHOSE death.  Moroni gave them a chance to swear an oath against rebellion.  But they'd rather die.  Heavy duty stuff.

Edited by Carborendum

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

My original comment was not meant to counter what you said. I was just pointing something out.

I find Facebook is not as popular among young people as it is among older people these days.

They tend to go more to tiktoks, tumblr, instagram, imgur or reddit.  We still have facebook for the university, but I find that is more for parents these days than the students.  They get confusing though.  They have so many different 'apps' that they use to gather together as study groups and some invite me to join as the professor that I have no idea what is good to use or not good to use (so, mainly just don't use any of them, plus, they have TAs and my office hours if they really need anything from me). 

I personally avoid facebook and many other social media platforms (though obviously I am on these forums occasionally) preferring more to read news or my books.  I suppose reading books these days is unusual, but I think I prefer them to the constant barrage of many of the social media platforms constant messaging. 

Guest Godless
1 hour ago, JohnsonJones said:

I find Facebook is not as popular among young people as it is among older people these days.

They tend to go more to tiktoks, tumblr, instagram, imgur or reddit. 

In general, FB usership has a far more conservative slant than other sites, so a lot of people my age and younger have abandoned it. I'm still on there because I have friends and family all over the country that I like to keep in touch with (and my parents like seeing pics of their grandson), but lately I spend more time participating in groups than posting on or browsing my main feed.

1 hour ago, JohnsonJones said:

We still have facebook for the university, but I find that is more for parents these days than the students.  They get confusing though.  They have so many different 'apps' that they use to gather together as study groups and some invite me to join as the professor that I have no idea what is good to use or not good to use (so, mainly just don't use any of them, plus, they have TAs and my office hours if they really need anything from me). 

I think Discord is a popular one for stuff like that. If that's one of the ones being pitched to you, I'd say that it's worth trying out if you ever want a way to connect virtually with your students.

3 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Sort of.  Facebook is not as popular among popular young people these days.  But while you poll all the kids and find less of them use FB and more of them use other things, that still means you can find hundreds of millions of the world's youth on Facebook.

3 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I personally avoid facebook and many other social media platforms (though obviously I am on these forums occasionally) preferring more to read news or my books.  I suppose reading books these days is unusual, but I think I prefer them to the constant barrage of many of the social media platforms constant messaging.

You, @Still_Small_Voice, and my former Bishop still remain high on my list of esteemed trend-bucking idealistic holdouts.  May the walls forever hold.  May the storms never breach.

2 hours ago, Godless said:

In general, FB usership has a far more conservative slant than other sites, so a lot of people my age and younger have abandoned it.

Heh.  I think that says more about where you go in FB, than what's actually happening across FB.  I've never had an issue finding endless troves of progressives, millennials, democrats, anarchists, communists, hard left, soft left, and liberals.  [quick lighthearted jab on] I'm guessing you go to FB looking for reasoned intelligent discussion, and you're only finding the right, because you're the only smart leftie out there. [/lighthearted jab]

1 hour ago, LDSGator said:

My wife volunteers for a Masonic youth group and all the kids think FB is for old people. Their words. 

Yep.  Add my kids, and everyone my kids know, to the list.  Happy middle class+ American youth are big on the apps @JohnsonJones mentioned [and others if they're up to no good].  Point still stands, you can still find hundreds of millions of youth on FB worldwide.  They're just not going places we go.

Edited by NeuroTypical

17 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yep.  Add my kids, and everyone my kids know, to the list.  Happy middle class+ American youth are big on the apps @JohnsonJones mentioned [and others if they're up to no good].  Point still stands, you can still find hundreds of millions of youth on FB worldwide.  They're just not going places we go.

Oh, agree. I think it’s wonderful. I love knowing that kids will grow up with all these options. People focus on the negatives of social media and that’s fine, but I can’t get over how cool it is to connect with all sorts of interesting people from all over the world. No matter what your interest is, you can find someone who shares it.