Temple Dedications

pam

I noticed that President Nelson has moved away from the traditional temple dedication.  Meaning, for years it was President Hinckley and then President Monson when they both were the presidents of the Church.

Since President Nelson was called in January of 2018, only 3 temples have been dedicated by a member of the first presidency.  2 by President Nelson and one by President Oaks.  Alll of the rest have been done by apostles.  

I just found it interesting.  I suppose with so many temples in the works, it puts an extreme burden on the members of the first presidency if they had to do them all.  

When I was called as a missionary I was set apart by and apostle.  I speculate that as the church grows and fills the earth that more things will be done by those of "lessor" callings.   We are told that an Elder holds all the power and authority equal to the apostles (including the prophet).  The only difference is in the keys.

The Traveler

On 1/1/2023 at 7:12 PM, LDSGator said:

Did apostles make the choices on where missionaries go as well? Or is that the Prophet? 

Great question - I do not recall but my mission call and my ministering certificate (back then we did not have name tags but carried a ministering certificate that we were ordained ministers – making us legal ministers.  We could also perform marriages but were told not to) were both signed by President McKay.

The Traveler