Old/unused scriptures

beefche

My sister passed away and I'm going through her things to save, donate, trash. She was not married and no children. She has several copies of scriptures and I don't know what to do with them. I was able to give a couple of sets away, but I have some that are in good condition, but has her name on them. What do I do with them? I don't want them (I have my own) and since we were the only members of church in our family, no one in the family will take them. I hate the thought of throwing them away, but I'm not sure what else to do with them...especially with them being personalized. And she has 1 copy of the hymnbook with her name on it and that I'm not sure what to do with (again, I have my own). Thoughts? 

For me it would depend on how well they are annotated. If there are lots of personal annotations and underlinings I would keep them as a rememberance of my sister and her thoughts about the scriptures. If there were few or no annotations I would do as @Backroadssuggests.

12 hours ago, beefche said:

My sister passed away and I'm going through her things to save, donate, trash. She was not married and no children. She has several copies of scriptures and I don't know what to do with them. I was able to give a couple of sets away, but I have some that are in good condition, but has her name on them. What do I do with them? I don't want them (I have my own) and since we were the only members of church in our family, no one in the family will take them. I hate the thought of throwing them away, but I'm not sure what else to do with them...especially with them being personalized. And she has 1 copy of the hymnbook with her name on it and that I'm not sure what to do with (again, I have my own). Thoughts? 

Some copies of scriptures that were embossed with gold or silver lettering can have that lettering erased.  You use a soft eraser (like the sorts that school children used to have) and basically erase it from the cover. 

Depending on where you live you could donate it to a thrift shop at that point.  Some will toss them if they have too many copies, but others may put them out for sale for someone to find. 

Deuteronomy 9:15-17  Remember that Moses destroyed the original tablets that the Lord Inscribed.

We can print more.

The books are not sacred.  The information in the scriptures are sacred only if you understand them and let them influence you along with the Holy Ghost. 

I have a quad that I recievied as a gift prior to my mission, they probably have an ounce or two of colored pencils highlighting, notes galore and personal cross-referencing.  I hardly use them any more.  They sit on my bedside table.  

The digitial scriptures are better in my opinion.  The cross-referencing and notes option are more robust.  And I always have them with me.  The iphone Library app is a modern wonder.  

Edited by mikbone

As a collector of old books – personal scriptures have value over other books, especially when signed by the owner.  I am a little surprised that no one in your family is interested - in a couple of hundred years those scriptures could be of great value – especially if they can be linked to a family as a family air loom investment.   Think what a 200 year old marked copy of a family (relitive) Bible would mean to you even if it was of a distant relative (aunt or uncle).  Especially if the copies are of scriptures that have edition updates or have favorite scriptures marked.  Marked scriptures are official historical documents that indicate historical biases. 

What editions are they? – If they are not editions I currently have, I may be interested in taking them off your hands.  Since I am often in the Indianapolis area, I could pick them up and you would not have to send them.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

• 2 months later...
On 1/8/2023 at 4:56 AM, JohnsonJones said:

Some copies of scriptures that were embossed with gold or silver lettering can have that lettering erased.  You use a soft eraser (like the sorts that school children used to have) and basically erase it from the cover. 

Depending on where you live you could donate it to a thrift shop at that point.  Some will toss them if they have too many copies, but others may put them out for sale for someone to find. 

Sadly, that can actually be a bit dicey. 

Where I live, it sometimes happens that critics of the church will take our scriptures, write very hateful things in them, and then donate them to local thrift stores as ambushes for whoever finds them.

5 hours ago, abhile95 said:

I have a quad that I recievied as a gift prior to my mission, they probably have an ounce or two of colored pencils highlighting, notes galore and personal cross-referencing.  I hardly use them any more.  They sit on my bedside table.  

netgear login

streaming app

I still have a quad that a former missionary gave me in the same condition as yours. Same with the first copy of the BOM I got. 

6040A07C-6139-426E-9D4E-076DA3248A4E.jpeg

817863EC-0333-4F5B-9C1F-8010DED14926.jpeg