The gender of angels

askandanswer

On 1/8/2023 at 4:03 PM, Vort said:

Angels sent from heaven are given Priesthood assignments. I assume that, at least in the cases we have record of, such an assignment requires a Priesthood holder.

It might or might not be the case that angels sent from heaven are given Priesthood assignments. Or maybe sometimes the directions/instructions they are given are Priesthood assignments and sometimes those directions/instructions might not be Priesthood assignments. But if it is the case that all the angels that come here are both on a Priesthood assignment, and are male, would that then make some conclusions/guesses about the nature of Priesthood and the manner in which it is or is not held by women less likely and other conclusions/guesses more likely? Could an answer to a question about the gender of angels form the beginning of a conclusion about the relationship between women and the Priesthood in the life beyond this world? 

Perhaps the most important notion to take from this particular thread is that angels all have one of two genders - there are no other options.

Now something of pure speculation:  I believe that it is possible that the majority of the society of Heaven and divine society are primarily female.  I believe this because of my own experience in marriage – that it is the female influence in families and society that make such societies tilt towards the divine.

So I speculate that the reasons that the male of mortal society are given the responsibility of priesthood is a decision made by the majority of women.  I also speculate that the majority of men that are inclined to do good – accepted this priesthood responsibility.  Thinking on this has given me a very different view of who is really in charge and why.

The Traveler

9 hours ago, askandanswer said:

But if it is the case that all the angels that come here are both on a Priesthood assignment, and are male, would that then make some conclusions/guesses about the nature of Priesthood and the manner in which it is or is not held by women less likely and other conclusions/guesses more likely? Could an answer to a question about the gender of angels form the beginning of a conclusion about the relationship between women and the Priesthood in the life beyond this world?

We already know that women do not hold the Priesthood. I suppose you could speculate that they might in the next life, just like you could speculate that we might be two feet tall and purple in the next life.

4 hours ago, Vort said:

We already know that women do not hold the Priesthood. I suppose you could speculate that they might in the next life, just like you could speculate that we might be two feet tall and purple in the next life.

I think that speculation is an important part of one method of gaining increased knowledge and understanding. Speculation is the process of forming ideas and those ideas can then be examined and discussed and rejected, modified or added to. 

Another possibility…it was a very male dominated society throughout history.  Perhaps people would not have taken the message as well from a woman. Another thought, assuming the angels were attractive, a female angel’s beauty may have been too distracting for the male brain to process her message. 😂

I don't think I can comment on this topic without being rude. So if everyone can just imagine what I said, that we got into a huge argument, and then finally I apologized for coming across rudely and walked away, I'd appreciate it.

Seriously though....these sorts of discussions have me gnashing my teeth with frustration! Argh!

20 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I don't think I can comment on this topic without being rude. So if everyone can just imagine what I said, that we got into a huge argument, and then finally I apologized for coming across rudely and walked away, I'd appreciate it.

Seriously though....these sorts of discussions have me gnashing my teeth with frustration! Argh!

I'm astonished at some of the things I imagine you to have said, Nevertheless, I accept your apology :)

On 1/10/2023 at 3:50 PM, askandanswer said:

I think that speculation is an important part of one method of gaining increased knowledge and understanding. Speculation is the process of forming ideas and those ideas can then be examined and discussed and rejected, modified or added to. 

I do not know nor understand how one could be obedient to the commandment to ponder without some degree of speculation as a part seeking understanding.

The Traveler

I speculate that in the Celestial Kingdom we will all have the same personality. Which translates to the reality that we will be indistinguishable one from another. Which means it won't matter who we're sealed to in the end. It is the sealing that is important rather than individual personhood.

This speculation doesn't tie into the topic at hand. It's just a speculation I'm making. 

9 hours ago, LineUponLine said:

I suppose anytime someone witnessed concourses of angels singing around the throne of God or to the shepherds there were probably some female sopranos and altos participating.

I agree, but these were not the ones that were sent to Earth with a mission. There may have been some non-male angels participating in the choir referred to in Luke 2:13 but we aren't specifically told this. That's why I included the phrase "whose gender is mentioned" in the OP. 

On 1/7/2023 at 10:31 PM, askandanswer said:

What do you think is/are the most likely explanation(s) for why every single angel that has been send to Earth and whose gender is mentioned has been male?

The women all have day jobs, and the men are the ones staying home and taking care of the kids?

On 1/7/2023 at 11:33 PM, Vort said:

Angels sent from heaven are given Priesthood assignments. I assume that, at least in the cases we have record of, such an assignment requires a Priesthood holder.

If a blessing or other ordinance is necessary, then yes, they would need to hold the priesthood. However, if it is only a message to be delivered, then an angel can be female as well. I know a couple people who had female angels appear to them in my family. I won't go into any further detail here, as they are sacred to my relatives. Granted, this is not doctrinal, neither is the idea that they need to hold the priesthood. It is all speculation, but if an angel appeared to me, I would not ignore them based on their gender.