Baptism

Notquitewetyet

I hate to post another thread in addition to the one on prayer requests,(btw I hope everything goes well for all of you, know that I'll try and remember you all in my thoughts) but this isn't really related. So, I'm getting baptized this Saturday. Yep, I can't believe it. Just about every hour or so some new fear or thought pops into my head about how to tell my family, how to deal with the stress, tithing, etc. But then I just try to put it in perspective. It's actually funny. I had the baptismal interview on Monday, and all that day before, a strange thought had been occurring to me, that I'd just get baptized and then leave, that I wouldn't be able to stay in the church because of all the pressure. The missionary who interviewed me, met me and we chatted and then right before the interview, he looked me dead in the eye and said, "I feel impressed to tell you, that if you read the Book of Mormon, and study it every day, you will never fall away from this church." I had never met the guy or spoken more than three words to him. I just knew that the spirit was using him to ameliorate the situation. All my friends at Institute today were like, "We're making you a cake" and I just felt so comforted. But, any tips on the experience? I'm still nervous, as I've not thought much until now about how I am going to be making covenants with Heavenly Father through this ordinance, I've thought of it more as just membership. It's all kinda overwhelming. Also, I'm afraid I'm going to accidently let go or something and screw up the baptism. And, oh my, my family. Since I'm going to become Mormon, I guess I won't be able to cuss, but boy, I really am scared shipless thinking about that aspect.

I am so happy for you! Try to just focus that day on your relationship with Heavenly Father and try not to worry about what your family thinks. I have a friend whose family was so upset she was joining the church, but when they saw the huge changes in her, they were happy and supporitve, then flew up for her son's baptism. I'll say a prayer for you! :)

I hate to post another thread in addition to the one on prayer requests,(btw I hope everything goes well for all of you, know that I'll try and remember you all in my thoughts) but this isn't really related. So, I'm getting baptized this Saturday. Yep, I can't believe it. Just about every hour or so some new fear or thought pops into my head about how to tell my family, how to deal with the stress, tithing, etc. But then I just try to put it in perspective. It's actually funny. I had the baptismal interview on Monday, and all that day before, a strange thought had been occurring to me, that I'd just get baptized and then leave, that I wouldn't be able to stay in the church because of all the pressure. The missionary who interviewed me, met me and we chatted and then right before the interview, he looked me dead in the eye and said, "I feel impressed to tell you, that if you read the Book of Mormon, and study it every day, you will never fall away from this church." I had never met the guy or spoken more than three words to him. I just knew that the spirit was using him to ameliorate the situation. All my friends at Institute today were like, "We're making you a cake" and I just felt so comforted. But, any tips on the experience? I'm still nervous, as I've not thought much until now about how I am going to be making covenants with Heavenly Father through this ordinance, I've thought of it more as just membership. It's all kinda overwhelming. Also, I'm afraid I'm going to accidently let go or something and screw up the baptism. And, oh my, my family. Since I'm going to become Mormon, I guess I won't be able to cuss, but boy, I really am scared shipless thinking about that aspect.

You never have to worry about messing something up like that - there have been plenty of baptisms where they've missed some little thing and had to say the prayer over again and/or dunk them under the water again, and it doesn't really matter. The only thing that matters is what's in your heart and the faith and love of all that are there.

There hasn't been a baptism that I've attended that I haven't absolutely loved and been so grateful to have been there. I always feel the Spirit so strong when I see anyone take that step. Congratulations! Remember this is just a step in Heavenly Father's plan for you, albeit a very important one, but there is much more to keep on doing to serve in the church and kingdom of God - always hold on to the iron rod (the word of God) and to the Spirit!

You never have to worry about messing something up like that - there have been plenty of baptisms where they've missed some little thing and had to say the prayer over again and/or dunk them under the water again, and it doesn't really matter. The only thing that matters is what's in your heart and the faith and love of all that are there.

There hasn't been a baptism that I've attended that I haven't absolutely loved and been so grateful to have been there. I always feel the Spirit so strong when I see anyone take that step. Congratulations! Remember this is just a step in Heavenly Father's plan for you, albeit a very important one, but there is much more to keep on doing to serve in the church and kingdom of God - always hold on to the iron rod (the word of God) and to the Spirit!

On my mission my companion actually bonked a guys head into the step under water...Fortunetly it was a fibrglass font and not tile...We just got to hear a big hallow "THUMMMM"...He wasn't hurt and we had a good chuckle...

Also remember that in making the covenant, you will never be perfect...that is what Christ's sacrifice and our repentence are for...:) I swear in traffic, but I am working hard on it...:)

Since I'm going to become Mormon, I guess I won't be able to cuss, but boy, I really am scared shipless thinking about that aspect.

You are in very, very good company here. I was raised by an unreligious WWII vet, and used to be able to peel the paint off the walls myself.

I don't know if Brigham Young cussed, but he spoke openly about his almost undominatable temper, and I have a hard time believing the two did not go hand in hand at least at one point in his life.

LM

Hello NotquitewetYet...

I'll be thinking of you... I know your baptism will be wonderful. Just remember, no one is perfect. You won't be, I'm not...and I consider myself to be a faithful, worthy LDS (worthy meaning I attend temple often and live the gospel to the very best of my ability...do I have weaknesses? Of course, and when I pray I ask forgiveness and resolve to do better, be more understanding of others, more "loving" in a Christ-like sense, etc.).

I am sorry you are so nervous about your family. See, I don't understand why they should be so upset... we have some of the highest moral standards anywhere, including chastity before marriage and absolute fidelity after marriage... we believe in and love the Lord as our Savior and redeemer... we believe in the bible and follow the commandments... we believe in charity and service to our fellow man, loving our neighbor... we have some of the strongest family values ever... and a health code that prohibits drinking and smoking... what is it they so strongly object to? You could be doing worse things as a young man...

I've been reading Pres Hinckley's book, "Standing for Something" and I recommend it to you, and to your family, as a look and insight into the man who stands as President of the Church...

Sending you all good wishes... The Garden Girl

If cussen is something your worried about don't fret. Unfortunately I came from a family that cusses a lot. Been a hard thing to control. I work on it daily. Still a member and still going to church. Shoot if it wasn't for cussen people wouldn't know how I feel . :) Just kidding but you get my point. We all have our little problem areas that we need to work on. Enjoy your day with getting baptised and welcome into the fold. I'll keep you in my thoughts on your special day.

f4k

I hope you have a wonderful baptism. I'll be baptizing my youngest child tomorrow, too. I keep thinking of what a blessing it has been in my life, and even though I was only 8, it has given me much good all my life. I don't think I said that well, but, whatever.

Have a great day tomorrow!

HiJolly

I tried to send a PM to ask NQWY if he indeed was baptized and how it went, but the PM would not go through as he hadn't had enough posts, or his PM was disabled.

I'm anxious because it would not be like him not to let us know how things went, particularly when we expressed interest in hearing about it.

Well, he'll post when he feels like it...

The Garden Girl