Seminary graduation required for foreign missions ?

shelbilynn

I am converted to the church. I started investigating my senior year of high school and joined the church a couple months before graduating. I’ve been attending BYU Idaho for almost 3 years now and have decided to open mission papers. I’m almost done with my face people have asked me a lot where do you feel like you’re gonna go? After some online research it seems like because I’m not a seminary graduate. I won’t be able to serve in A large amount of foreign countries? I attended seminary every day my senior year while investigating, but since I didn’t attend for all four years, I didn’t get to graduate seminary. but i have taken religion classes at byui since joining the church. it sounds to me like Brazil is a hard no due to their visa policies but I was wondering what places also were? please share whatever you know. thanks:)

11 hours ago, shelbilynn said:

I am converted to the church. I started investigating my senior year of high school and joined the church a couple months before graduating. I’ve been attending BYU Idaho for almost 3 years now and have decided to open mission papers. I’m almost done with my face people have asked me a lot where do you feel like you’re gonna go? After some online research it seems like because I’m not a seminary graduate. I won’t be able to serve in A large amount of foreign countries? I attended seminary every day my senior year while investigating, but since I didn’t attend for all four years, I didn’t get to graduate seminary. but i have taken religion classes at byui since joining the church. it sounds to me like Brazil is a hard no due to their visa policies but I was wondering what places also were? please share whatever you know. thanks:)

It's all going to depend on the foreign country,  Not all foreign countries have the same requirement that Brazil has and that is to have a 4 year theology study requirement to proselytize in their country.   I have known a few that were converts such as yourself that only had 1-2 years of seminary and went on foreign missions.  So I wouldn't let that be a factor in your decision.  Besides, people in the United States need to be taught too and there is always the possibility you could get sent to a mission that would require you to learn another language.  That would be awesome to me too.  

10 minutes ago, pam said:

Besides, people in the United States need to be taught too and there is always the possibility you could get sent to a mission that would require you to learn another language.

In addition, I would emphasize that we are called to serve a mission and are assigned our field of service. That assignment might be based on aptitude, nationality, language skills, seminary graduation status, and so forth. But the calling remains the same: To teach the gospel of Jesus Christ. I believe we would do well as a people not to get caught up in the location or initial assignment of where our missionary service will take place, and instead focus on the calling itself and how well we may or may not be prepared to fulfill that calling.

I spoke with my son in Japan about this.  He's finding that the real-world application is just a little different than what you read "officially."  The official position is that all ministers need to have a license to preach.  But in reality, it is not really enforced. 

If he lost the paper or if it expired for some reason and he kept preaching, there really isn't any policing of the license.  It is basically on the honor system.

The Church makes every effort to be in compliance with the law.  So, the official procedure is to jump through these hoops -- as an organization.  But as individuals, the law isn't really enforced.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 7:51 AM, shelbilynn said:

For a high school student, you already have a lot of experience. The fact that you didn't graduate from seminary might not hurt you. There are many countries where there can be a mission and where there is no such requirement. I think it depends more on your desire to go to a particular country. You can carry out a very noble mission in various countries. I recently studied an essay on women's suffrage https://papersowl.com/examples/womens-suffrage/ and was surprised that in many other countries men and women have different rights. Moreover, in these countries there is no war or any cataclysms. I think that people who are specially trained for missions in less developed countries can help in the educational field, which will change the lives of people in these countries in the future.

Edited by DavidT-1000

On 1/12/2023 at 10:51 PM, shelbilynn said:

Just a note - from a 4-year seminary grad.  In my youth it was possible to take 2 seminary classes one year in high school (in Utah).  I thought Germany was where I should be called so I studied German and spoke it quite well.  Two of my best friends served in Germany and years later I spoke better German than them.  I was called to the North Wester States Mission (Washington, Oregon and Idaho).  I had one transfer on my mission that it would have been a shorter trip to go home.

The L-rd will place you where he wants you and you will be better for it.  I would not have ended up in my life profession had I not served; not just in my mission but in the areas I was called and with the companions and other missionaries I served with.

Back when I served (55 years ago) we memorized 6 decisions and 270 scriptures.  My first companion was a native American that could not memorize and was unable to quote a single scripture or any part of any discussion.  He was considered a poor missionary and somewhat of a failure – he only had a few months left of his mission.  I entered the mission with all decisions and the 270 scriptures memorized.  I had been in the army for 2 years (with a special release to serve a mission and an opportunity to attend West Point – which I turned down – I had other scholarship offers).  This companion was one of the most spiritual individuals I have ever known and had a humbling impact on my life.  Together we baptized many college students in Moscow Idaho and Pulman Washington.  He could touch their hearts and I could touch their minds and we were perfect together.  More than anyone else he help me recover from the military and mission when finished I went back to “civilization”.

Thanks for posting and special thanks for being a convert and choosing to serve a mission.

The Traveler

• 4 weeks later...