Rising cost of food

pam

17 hours ago, Carborendum said:

LOL!

While his procedure works for cucumber pickles, kim chee and sour kraut use a different process.

I have heard of the serious problem of being in deep kin chee but I have never heard of being in deep pickles or sour kraut.

The Traveler

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

I have heard of the serious problem of being in deep kin chee but I have never heard of being in deep pickles or sour kraut.

For a man (meaning me) who might consider taking a bath in kim chee to be the ultimate "deep-fried twinkie" the figure of speech "deep kim chee" is lost on me. :D 

Edited by Carborendum

On 3/16/2023 at 10:00 AM, Carborendum said:

For a man (meaning me) who might consider taking a bath in kim chee to be the ultimate "deep-fried twinkie" the figure of speech "deep kim chee" is lost on me. :D 

My father went to the Korean war.  When anything went bottoms-up or we got into trouble he would commonly say.

”You are in deep Kim Chee now”

When I first tried it 20 years later I was pleasantly surprised.  I even bought a jar and brought it home.

Dad was apoplectic.

28 minutes ago, mikbone said:

My father went to the Korean war.  When anything went bottoms-up or we got into trouble he would commonly say.

”You are in deep Kim Chee now”

When I first tried it 20 years later I was pleasantly surprised.  I even bought a jar and brought it home.

Dad was apoplectic.

My first official engineering job after I left school:  I was enjoying my kim chee and stir-fry.  A lady in the office came slowly walking down the aisle between cubes, sniffing the air.  She was about 5 or 6 cubes away from me.

When she arrived at my cube opening, she turned in with this horrified look on her face and asked,"What on EARTH is that SMELL?!?!"

"That must be my kim chee."

I decided to be kind.  I never bring kim chee to the office again.

39 minutes ago, Backroads said:

This lady's recipe. The whole family loves it.

It seems like you enjoyed it well enough.

That's a fairly common recipe. But I do want to warn you about a couple if items in that recipe.

• Sea salt is not necessary. You can use common table salt.  But do NOT use iodized salt.  Pickling salt is sold at a higher price.  But if you just use non-iodized salt, you can get the same results for much cheaper.
  • I'd warn against using starch (item #4).  Or at least, use MUCH less than the recommended amount.  Some regions of Korea use this.  Others don't.  I find that using the starch results in a slimy sauce that resembles mucus (not pretty).  It is supposed to be juicy. Not slimy.  So, if you use only a TINY amount, that should be ok.  But many kim chee recipes don't use it at all.
  • Of the sweeteners, the most authentic would be the Asian pear or the plum juice.  The others will work as well.  But they will obviously have a different flavor.
  • Brining is a tricky step.  The right amount of salt is crucial.  But since each head of cabbage is not uniform, there's not a simple way of gaging how much salt to use.  Sadly, this is where I tend to fail quite a bit.  There's also a certain amount of rinsing you're supposed to do.  But if you rinse too much, you remove more salt than you should.
  • After the 2 month (or more) period where it moves from pickling to fermentation, it is often used for stew (kimchi-chige).  You put the pieces in a pork stew with vegetables that you'd put in stir fry (that's the simplest way to put it).  But you may want to look up a recipe for chige (CHI-geh).

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

There's also a certain amount of rinsing you're supposed to do.  But if you rinse too much, you remove more salt than you should.

Husband has been essential to this process. He knows how to rinse stuff, somehow.

3 hours ago, askandanswer said:

I'm impressed and surprised @VortHow many talks do you remember this well from 2007?

I tend to remember General Conference addresses pretty well. Elder Bednar's pickle talk was a classic. Generated lots of conversation in 2007, and not a little mockery. But I always thought the mockers were idiots, so whatever.

Edited by Vort