mission fundraising ideas

futuresister

i’m trying to serve a mission and starting from scratch money wise. i’m a convert and the only member in my family so i’ll be getting no support from them and as a college ysa (byui) i’ve never really met my “home ward” which is the funding ward. i want to fund as much as possible on my own. i’ve put out marketplace listings for babysitting but i’m wondering if anyone has any creative ideas for raising and saving up the money for a mission. im sure people have or seen people do different things to raise? i have a pretty open afternoon schedule so i’m open to trying most things. ( i am in classes as a college student but the latest i get out of classes is 1230) 

thanks for sharing your ideas, experiences and stories in advance! 

I don't know if you are planning on going to school over the summer but there are usually different work opportunities that temporarily relocate you to areas where they want to grow their business such as selling pest control, solar or security systems. It requires a certain personality but if you do well you can make some good money in just a few months. Just make sure it's a legit company. I'm sure if you ask around you'll find other students who have done it. Use them as a resource. 

Yeah, I'm in Central Texas (by Fort Hood) and just about every summer we get BYU students in who work for a company called White Knight Pest Control. They seem to have some sort of arrangement with BYU to do this. 

Good for you! I will tell you that my sons earned money for their missions by working blue-collar jobs, including as ranch hands and in food service. If you have a place to live for cheap (or free!), even a minimum-wage job can earn you enough for a mission in less than a year, if you save carefully.