"Shoot to wound, not to kill," say the morons (including our own Dear Leader)

Vort

Is this a hoax? This must be a hoax. Right?

"We have to retrain cops," Biden said. "Why should you always shoot with deadly force? The fact is if you need to use your weapon, you don’t have to do that."

https://nypost.com/2023/01/16/biden-calls-for-retraining-cops-to-not-always-shoot-with-deadly-force/?fbclid=IwAR0KGtvaut5ewnviRRWco7eEbNaGfX4V2ZfLd655KouIO6Zt1nRguPwY_WE

It appears our Commander in Chief's precipitous mental decline makes him forget his position on the issue thirteen years ago.

Dr. Bill Lewinski [said], "In reality, this thinking is a result of ‘training by Hollywood,' in which movie and TV cops are able to do anything to control the outcomes of events that serve the director’s dramatic interests. It reflects a misconception of real-life dynamics and ends up imposing unrealistic expectations of skill on real-life officers."

Vice President Joe Biden agrees. When Michael Paladino, president of New York’s Detectives Endowment Association, showed him the bill he reportedly scoffed and suggested that it be called the "John Wayne Bill" because of the unrealistic, movie-like sharpshooting skills it demands of officers.

https://www.police1.com/patrol-issues/articles/why-shooting-to-wound-doesnt-make-sense-scientifically-legally-or-tactically-6bOdYvNUEECtIWRI/

We all know Biden's brain is suffering from logical thinking, and if not a hoax then this statement from Biden is even worse. Why shoot with "deadly" force? Every shot from a gun is "deadly" force (if loaded with real ammo).

An officer shoots to stop a threat -- typically. They aim for center mass because that is the biggest target, and more likely to successfully stop a threat. I remember a time back where officers used "rubber" bullets to stop threats -- looters. Then I kept seeing articles from the woke left that that is wrong and officers shouldn't be able to use rubber bullets because of the damage they do. Lol. These are shots that aren't "deadly" force but they hurt like hell, and for good reason (and the woke still complain!). Spray rubber bullets into a mob/looters every time, it will help quell the criminals. Blame the cops when they shoot real or rubber bullets! The woke left doesn't care about law and order, they only care about themselves, which is why these discussions come up. Let us loot, rob, steal, without injury! Its the cops fault I was breaking and entering and resisting arrest!

Edited by Anddenex

I am in 100% full support of retraining cops in this fashion, as soon as the bad guys reach full compliance with a similar program first. 

Totally serious here.  The exact nanosecond we live in a reality where the bad guys are all intentionally aiming, in every single instance, for nonfatal areas of their opponents, then count me in on having our cops do the same.   Until that day, which surely can't be too far away, Imma have to temporarily withhold my enthusiastic support.

Edited by NeuroTypical

7 hours ago, Godless said:

That's why they have tasers.

Tasers are "less than lethal", not "non-lethal" as people seem to think they are. 

1. Because they represent electricity being jolted through a person, if the person has certain cardiovascular issues or medical implants then the shock can trigger a medical episode or even be fatal.

2. If the person is covered in anything flammable, such as pepper spray that had a flammable propellant, then the sparks from the prongs can ignite the flammable material, leaving the person seriously burned or even killed. 

Every time one of those is drawn, there's a non-zero chance that it will be fatal. 

6 hours ago, Ironhold said:

Every time one of those is drawn, there's a non-zero chance that it will be fatal. 

Heh. The nonzero chance statistic.  So unimpressive, yet it can be made to sound so impressive.   

Cops use tasers a bit more than 300,000 times a year.     Maybe ~1000 people have died from tasers since the early 2000's.  Maybe 50 a year.   (For context, that's around the same amount as people who die from getting hit by lightning.)

So, doing the math, 300k * 20 = 6 million people get tazed.

6 million, divided by 1000 = 1.666666666666667e-4.   

That's less than .02 of a percent.  That means for every 100 people tased, zero of them die.  For every 1000 people tased, zero of them die.  For every 10,000 people tased, one or two die.

If you're getting tased by cops, you're more likely to die of just about anything than the tasing.  Insect bite that gets infected, drowning, pulling a heavy piece of furniture onto yourself, getting beat to death by your mother, choking on your dinner, any kind of cancer, the flu, victim of road rage - any of these are more likely to kill you than getting tazed.

Here- I've got a present for y'all.  This is me, volunteering for a taser demonstration about a decade ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBJvymv6WeQ

Edited by NeuroTypical

8 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I am in 100% full support of retraining cops in this fashion, as soon as the bad guys reach full compliance with a similar program first. 

Totally serious here.  The exact nanosecond we live in a reality where the bad guys are all intentionally aiming, in every single instance, for nonfatal areas of their opponents, then count me in on having our cops do the same.   Until that day, which surely can't be too far away, Imma have to temporarily withhold my enthusiastic support.

I think this might be a feasible place for guys who are known to be bad. The problem is, they are not the only people who cops shoot at. 

15 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

They shoot at people who they think might be bad or who they think might do something bad. They shoot at people who scare them or who are behaving in a scary manner. They shoot at people with mental illness. Not all of them are bad people.  

I get the impression that you think cops shoot at people way, way way more than they really do. At least in America. 

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Here- I've got a present for y'all.  This is me, volunteering for a taser demonstration about a decade ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBJvymv6WeQ

Heh, heh, heh...hurts doesn't it?

Here is me being tased in training.

taser.jpg

10 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Six times on Netflix last night. :) I saw it with my own eyes. 

Lol. 

Non Americans are pretty clueless about daily life here. Just as we are pretty clueless about daily life where you live. Take my word on this-the vast majority of us, yes even minorities, don’t walk around in mortal terror of being shot by the police. 

Edited by LDSGator

On 1/19/2023 at 11:18 PM, Vort said:

Is this a hoax? This must be a hoax. Right?

"We have to retrain cops," Biden said. "Why should you always shoot with deadly force? The fact is if you need to use your weapon, you don’t have to do that."

That's only because we arm them with "murder guns" instead of "protection guns."

Edited by Carborendum

20 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Heh. The nonzero chance statistic.  So unimpressive, yet it can be made to sound so impressive.   

The issue is that people think "why not just stun them?" or "why not just shoot them in the leg?" and assume any news of a fatality is thus the result of an officer being malicious. 

They don't understand that there is no 100% safe weapons discharge option. Once that trigger gets pulled, there's a chance the person it was pulled against isn't going to be making it. 

2 hours ago, Ironhold said:

The issue is that people think "why not just stun them?" or "why not just shoot them in the leg?" and assume any news of a fatality is thus the result of an officer being malicious. 

They don't understand that there is no 100% safe weapons discharge option. Once that trigger gets pulled, there's a chance the person it was pulled against isn't going to be making it. 

What you don't seem to understand, is taser and pepper spray use is about as safe as walking down the road, or standing in a park.  There's about an equal chance of getting killed by lightning, as there is of dying from a taser shot.  Life is a risky endeavor.  There is never, ever, EVER a 0% chance of dying.  Sitting safe in your safe house in your safe neighborhood, you still have a nonzero chance of dying.   

The two prominent nonlethals used by law enforcement, tasers and pepper spray, are safe and effective.  Both are excellent alternatives to getting shot.  Depending on the circumstance, they can be better options than getting subdued physically, with or without a nightstick.   They're good at bringing a dangerous person into a safely restrained state, while keeping both them and the officer safe.  I'm a massive fan of nonlethals.  That video I posted?  Before it was taken, I wasn't sure what I thought of cops having/using tasers.  After that video, I was a total fan.  I'm glad cops carry tasers.

On 1/20/2023 at 7:12 PM, askandanswer said:

They shoot at people who they think might be bad or who they think might do something bad. They shoot at people who scare them or who are behaving in a scary manner. They shoot at people with mental illness. Not all of them are bad people.  

?

I mean, I'm sure that some cop somewhere has shot at someone who the cop just thinks might do something bad, or who scares him. But cops are specifically trained not to shoot at such people, only at those who present a credible and immediate threat.

I can't tell if you're just joking or if, like many other non-Americans, you actually think that cops in the US run around shooting up everyone who crosses their path. Netflix jokes notwithstanding, many people, both in and especially outside of the US, seem to think that Hollywood movies and TV shows are an accurate representation of American life.

9 hours ago, Vort said:

both in and especially outside of the US, seem to think that Hollywood movies and TV shows are an accurate representation of American life.

That, and most non Americans will be the first to complain about how they are represented in American media. Odd how they can’t go the extra mile and realize it’s exactly what they are doing to us.