My daughter's new programmer joke

Vort

16 minutes ago, MarginOfError said:

Seems like it'd be easy enough to come home by just dropping the gallon of milk as soon as he exits the store.

But the milk will never make it home.

I finally get it.  I don't know why the OP didn't make sense to me.  But I didn't spend a lot of time on it.

Thanks for the clarification.

Apparently some people have never written an infinite loop. :D  The poor programmer had no way out of his while loop.  Of course, I'm having a hard time deciding whether he grabbed one gallon and just stood there, or repeatedly grabbed and released the same gallon (seems wrong), or kept grabbing gallons - one per iteration of the loop - and what he did when he could grab no more.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

On a side note: I've been a professional programmer for nigh unto 10 years now. I may not be a particularly expert programmer...but I'm pretty decent I guess. But I have never, ever, in my entire career, EVER, written a while loop.

At least I had the excuse of not having done any programming in the last 30 years.  And, like you, I don't think I ever used a while command.

37 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:
9 hours ago, Vort said:

while(true) {

// You can never get out

}

I didn't get the original joke until you posted this. Then I went back and read it and...haha.

If it makes you feel any better, my daughter told this joke on our family call last Sunday. Everyone laughed but me. My sons had to point out the word "while" in the joke before I understood. At least I groaned appropriately when I got it.