A Microcosm in the Church? (DezNat)

The Folk Prophet

Guest Godless
11 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

You know, I have a lot of issues with the Boomer generation.  But, in fairness to them--the Boomers were largely the ones who faced down the Klan, the riot dogs, the tear gas, and the fire hoses in order to demand the end of practices such as the ones you decide.

Yeah, I should have been more specific.

11 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

It was the “greatest generation”, and their antecedents, who had the problem with swimming pools.  Then again, they at least defeated the combined forces of Hitler, Hirohito and Mussolini on a global stage and then went on to contain Stalin’s and Mao’s dreams of global domination.  Whatever their problem was, it wasn’t “softness”;  whereas our generation hasn’t really accomplished anything on the worldwide stage except to start a succession of wars and then stab a  parade of international allies in the back when gritty photos circulated by journalists who wanted us to lose those wars, gave us the sadz.

To quote a wise 20th Century philosopher, "Wars not make one great". I've seen war through a more modern lens, and it left a mark. I respect those who fought in previous wars for the hardships they endured. But it doesn't absolve them of their moral flaws any more than my service absolves me of mine.

40 minutes ago, Godless said:

But it doesn't absolve them of their moral flaws any more than my service absolves me of mine

My unpopular view is that the greatest generation were great-but maybe not the “greatest.” The WWI generation was pretty cool too. Same with the founding fathers. We could also go back and talk about the generations like those who fought in the English Civil War too. 

1 hour ago, Godless said:

Yeah, I should have been more specific.

To quote a wise 20th Century philosopher, "Wars not make one great". I've seen war through a more modern lens, and it left a mark. I respect those who fought in previous wars for the hardships they endured. But it doesn't absolve them of their moral flaws any more than my service absolves me of mine.

No, but it absolves you against accusations of softness.  :)

War for war’s sake doesn’t automatically assign morality to its participants, sure.   But at anding up against homicidal/genocidal maniacs like Hitler/Mussolini/Hirohito’s clowns/Stalin . . . That took a monumental degree of moral virtue.

Surely, virtue in one area doesn’t exonerate vice in another.  But then again, the discussion wasn’t about vice or virtue generally; it was specifically about toughness versus softness.  Virtue becomes possible only when toughness contains the egregiously, recalcitrantly vicious.  To preen about our own own virtue in the face of undeniable evidence that we are indeed, “soft” in comparison to our forbears is all well and good . . . Until our country is reduced to waging Twitter campaigns against latter-day Hitlers like Putin or the Taliban or Boko Haram because a critical mass of our youth are physically unfit for military service.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I'm a little late to this thread but....

I cannot see Christ doing what this DezNat group does. So does that make it wrong? Or in other words, is appropriate always defined by "what would Jesus do?" (And I'm not talking about things like he wouldn't wear such an such color because it's not his favorite color, but meaningful stuff)

On 2/22/2023 at 6:32 AM, NeuroTypical said:

Everything sounds nice on paper until you decide to cosplay as Captain Moroni at the Jan 6th event.  Dude got 45 days in jail - pleaded down to misdemeanor "parading, demonstrating, or picketing in a Capitol building".

Jail Time for James Wayne Entrekin in Jan. 6 Capitol Breach

Are you sure this is a cosplay? It wouldn't be the first time Moroni has intervened in political processes or come back to deliver a message. 

Edited by askandanswer