The Veil

Carborendum

Here are some verses in the Book of Hebrews which mention the veil. (For no particular reason. :whistling:

Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which entereth into that within the veil

Hebrews 6:19

And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all;

Hebrews 9:3

veil footnote: Jesus Christ, Types of, Anticipation

And over it the cherubims of glory shadowing the mercyseat; of which we cannot now speak particularly.

Hebrews 9:5

19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,

20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

Heb 10:19-20

Edited by Carborendum

A few thoughts on the veil, a topic which I've thought about a bit over the years:

A veil by very definition and etymology is something that separates or covers, usually with the implication of hiding or concealing. "The veil" (variously spelled) mentioned in scriptures is normally a divine concealment of holy things from those who would profane them or who would be damaged in being exposed to those holy things by their own spiritual immaturity. (Though not always: e.g. in Moses 7:26, Satan veils the earth with his chain of bondage.)

The veil can be seen not only as a separator but as a portal. Thus, Christ is the Veil to the holiness of the eternities and of Eternity himself. Christ is the Way, or in other words the Portal, to the Father. Christ represents to us the face of the Father until such a time as we, through Christ, can enter into the presence of the Father and behold his face with our own eyes.

We have, or at least had, at least two distinct types of veils in the temple, both importantly symbolic of some kind of separation that is bridged in due time and in appropriate ways. Thus, "passing through the veil" denotes leaving behind a lesser life and entering into a greater. Our duty is to prepare to receive this greater life and light.

Some of this veil symbolism seems to have been removed—dare I say, veiled—from our endowment presentation. I suspect the reason is the widespread misunderstanding of what the veil is and what it represents, a misunderstanding that leads many women (and men also) to foolishly suppose that the veil is a mark of inferiority rather than a symbol of ordered progress, anticipation, and respect for the holy. Such misunderstanding is a form of solemn mockery, and God will not throw his pearls before swine. Perhaps this is why these things have been taken from us, for a time at least.

6 minutes ago, Vort said:

A veil by very definition and etymology is something that separates or covers, usually with the implication of hiding or concealing. "The veil" (variously spelled) mentioned in scriptures is normally a divine concealment of holy things from those who would profane them or who would be damaged in being exposed to those holy things by their own spiritual immaturity. 

I want to add: "Reveal" (Revelation) comes from the phrase: "REturn" (i.e. turn back) a "VEIL".

We have, or at least had, at least two distinct types of veils in the temple, both importantly symbolic of some kind of separation that is bridged in due time and in appropriate ways. Thus, "passing through the veil" denotes leaving behind a lesser life and entering into a greater. Our duty is to prepare to receive this greater life and light.

Until recent studies, it never occurred to me that we use two veils in the temple.  I was aware of the process, of course.  But the first veil never really registered in my mind.

Some of this veil symbolism seems to have been removed—dare I say, veiled—from our endowment presentation.

To this day, I have a knee-jerk reaction at a particular point.

I suspect the reason is the widespread misunderstanding of what the veil is and what it represents, a misunderstanding that leads many women (and men also) to foolishly suppose that the veil is a mark of inferiority rather than a symbol of ordered progress, anticipation, and respect for the holy. Such misunderstanding is a form of solemn mockery, and God will not throw his pearls before swine. Perhaps this is why these things have been taken from us, for a time at least.

There is some history for this mockery and misunderstanding.

Women historically wore veils or head-coverings.  While some of the ancients respected the divine meaning of these veils, many who didn't have the proper religious background took to using the term "veil" as a pejorative for females.  While in the Catholic church newly minted nuns were said to have "Taken the veil", today, we say they put on the "habit" which means "religious attire."  I believe this to have been a desire to get away from the pejorative "veil."

We look at ancient things through modern eyes without understanding how deeply intermixed with the human being these symbols reside.