Midnight Mormons

mikbone

The wife was listening to this in the background last night.  

I belly laughed pretty good on a couple clips.

Warning: There is some stupidity and mockery involved.

Findings-

We need to have stricter hiring policies @ BYU.

Whelp, this is the future of the church right here.  These kids are still learning and rough around the edges, but I can appreciate their energy and motivations.  In time they'll learn a little humility, and that mocking others appearance and facial expressions aren't really worthy things to do.   I also have to say that compared to other folks in their early '20's, these folks are doing pretty good.  I wish I had that strong a testimony in my early '20's.

It didn't occur to me until I saw this video...

A long time ago, I frequented a prepping forum.  On the forum there was a guy who claimed to be a "recovering Mormon."   He kept spouting off things that were completely twisted or downright false doctrines from half-phrases in scriptures.  He said he was in the Church for 35 years.

After listening to multiple things he said, I had to conclude one of three things:

• He was mentally challenged.
  • He was completely lazy in his studies and his attentiveness in classes.
  • He was flat out lying.

After listening to this woman, I am leaning towards the same assessment for both of these people.  All three conditions apply.

How on earth do they get things THIS wrong?  Like they commented:  There are plenty of doctrines that are really weird that are actually true.  Why not go after those things?

Edited by Carborendum

39 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

It didn't occur to me until I saw this video...

A long time ago, I frequented a prepping forum.  On the forum there was a guy who claimed to be a "recovering Mormon."   He kept spouting off things that were completely twisted or downright false doctrines from half-phrases in scriptures.  He said he was in the Church for 35 years.

After listening to multiple things he said, I had to conclude one of three things:

• He was flat out lying.

After listening to this woman, I am leaning towards the same assessment for both of these people.  All three conditions apply.

How on earth do they get things THIS wrong?  Like they commented:  There are plenty of doctrines that are really weird that are actually true.  Why not go after those things?

Your comment is a springboard for this one, even though it isn't really related directly or a reply.

I have often wondered about Scientology in this regard. We hear so many wack-a-doodle things about it, but it's always from disaffected people. And, it seems, this sort of thing, as you describe of "recovering Mormons" is somewhat human nature. Would it not be true of recovering Scientologists as well?

Of course Scientology's weirdness seems to be right in line with all the claims. This is true of JWs too (I have direct experience to know, somewhat, of what I speak in the case of JWs). So is it just the Latter-day Saints who are smeared so falsely????? Who knows.

Like I said...not directly related. And clearly off topic. Just the thought I had.

5 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Whelp, this is the future of the church right here.  These kids are still learning and rough around the edges, but I can appreciate their energy and motivations.  In time they'll learn a little humility, and that mocking others appearance and facial expressions aren't really worthy things to do.   I also have to say that compared to other folks in their early '20's, these folks are doing pretty good.  I wish I had that strong a testimony in my early '20's.

I think they are just trying to add some humor to the LDS experience. It wasn’t always funny but at least they are showing you can have an offbeat sense of humor and still be LDS. Harmless fun, even though I wish they didn’t do the things you mentioned either. 

45 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Your comment is a springboard for this one, even though it isn't really related directly or a reply.

I have often wondered about Scientology in this regard. We hear so many wack-a-doodle things about it, but it's always from disaffected people. And, it seems, this sort of thing, as you describe of "recovering Mormons" is somewhat human nature. Would it not be true of recovering Scientologists as well?

Of course Scientology's weirdness seems to be right in line with all the claims. This is true of JWs too (I have direct experience to know, somewhat, of what I speak in the case of JWs). So is it just the Latter-day Saints who are smeared so falsely????? Who knows.

Like I said...not directly related. And clearly off topic. Just the thought I had.

In the past, I had this same line of reasoning that justified me giving Scientologists the benefit of the doubt when I hear weird things about them.  But I have actually kept mental note of news articles surrounding them.  And parts of the façade are beginning to crumble.  It is becoming more and more difficult to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The most recent thing is their leader has been subpoenaed to appear in court.  He has been dodging the server.  So, the judge declared it served.  We'll see how this unfolds.  I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.  But I'm cautious at this point.

As far as JWs.  I've personally known for an extended  period, three JWs. 

• The first was just plain argumentative any time we brought up religion. 
  • The second was just fine and willing to keep things professional at work... until he discovered I was a Mormon.  After that he would bring up another criticism of our faith any chance he got.  
  • The third was not really active, but still believed.  He didn't really care about anything.  He was fine just having me as a roommate.  And one time our landlord (a non-practicing Muslim -- he couldn't even cite the five pillars) wondered what the difference was between these different faiths in Christianity.  (Our last roommate was an evangelical who was raised as a Catholic).  We expressed what the differences were in the broadest terms of how we view Christ.  Everyone agreed the differences were accurate.  So, it is safe to say that we are well aware of at least that core difference.

What are the chances that a Muslim, a Mormon, a JW, and an evangelical/Catholic were all housed in the same rental house?

Edited by Carborendum

10 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

The first was just plain argumentative any time we brought up religion.

Side story because I want to to tell it. Maybe someone will find it interesting.

The main experience I had with JWs was in high-school. One of my best friends and I learned that some other friends we had (2 brothers) were JWs. (I hope it's not considered disrespectful to them to use JW. That's not my intent.) This was extremely uncommon in that I was in Utah Valley. So we were curious. So we asked. It turned into, almost immediate, daily Bible bashing. My friend and I would go home after school, and research. The next day we'd come back and give them all our "proof" that we were right. Then they'd counter (often the same way...taking a day to research) and so forth and so forth. We had a specific plan to meet up every day at lunch time and bash. Ah, the memories! Good times.

My mom told me not to. She taught me then how useless it was. She taught me how conversion comes from the Spirit, not "proof". But I was obsessed, and it was SO much fun. Moreover...it was the catalyst for 2 very, very important things in my life. 1. I realized at that point how much I knew about the gospel. I never knew how much I actually knew until it started being challenged. It was the beginning of the gospel being a true passion of mine. 2. I learned the importance of Spiritual conversion through the proper means. That has affected my view of such throughout my life (including many responses I've given in this forum. Bashing doesn't convert. There is no "proof". JW's are silly for believing there is proof and that it can all be reasoned out. And it doesn't matter how silly a story sounds.*

I know bashing isn't a good pursuit. But I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

On a side note: one of my other friends told me that he ran into one of the brothers in the MTC. Yes...you read that right. Going on a mission. My friend claimed that he spoke to him and the guy denied he was the same JW we knew... buy my friend swore it was him. So......................................................maybe bible bashing does work? :D

Anyhow, we learned an awful lot about the JWs.

*One time one of the brothers told us this story of how the JW religion was founded. (Spoiler: he made it all up to sound outlandish). He told us this dude was walking through the woods one day and came across a tree, inside of which he found some magic doo-hickey of some sort that etc., etc. In retrospect, he was trying to point out how silly the story of Joseph Smith was by making up a similar thing. Well...actually it wasn't even "in retrospect". It was made clear when he finished the story by saying, "Now doesn't that sound outlandish. That's how your story of Joseph Smith sounds to us!" But as he was telling it, we were dead serious in accepting he believed it, not knowing about his religion at all, and not being aware he was using that tactic. All in all...the story sounded like.... well any number of stories told in the Bible that are "outlandish" (a point we quickly made with him). Anyhow...funny. Ah...the memories.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

• He was flat out lying.

When I lived in Moscow, I became good friends with an inactive, endowed, sealed member of the Church. It was shocking how many things she had forgotten not only about our beliefs, but also about the structure of the Church (e.g. she couldn't remember what a 70 is).  Thankfully, by the time I left Moscow, she was RS President. :D  But I pondered a bit on how it was that she could have forgotten so much, and this is my conclusion:

D&C 1:33 And he that repents not, from him shall be taken even the light which he has received; for my Spirit shall not always strive with man, saith the Lord of Hosts.

D&C 43:10 That inasmuch as ye do this, glory shall be added to the kingdom which ye have received. Inasmuch as ye do it not, it shall be taken, even that which ye have received.

D&C 60:3 And it shall come to pass, if they are not more faithful unto me, it shall be taken away, even that which they have.

(my favorite):

D&C 93:39 And that wicked one cometh and taketh away light and truth, through disobedience, from the children of men, and because of the tradition of their fathers.

JST Matt. 13:10–11 For whosoever receiveth, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance; but whosoever continueth not to receive, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.  (Matt. 13:12 (25:29Mark 4:25Luke 8:1819:26) - in answer to why the Lord speaks in parables.)

In every case, it was knowledge they had previously received that would be taken away.  Seeing how that happened to someone else was one more motivation for me not to lose the things God has given me.

2 hours ago, zil2 said:

When I lived in Moscow, I became good friends with an inactive, endowed, sealed member of the Church. It was shocking how many things she had forgotten not only about our beliefs, but also about the structure of the Church (e.g. she couldn't remember what a 70 is).  Thankfully, by the time I left Moscow, she was RS President. :D  But I pondered a bit on how it was that she could have forgotten so much, and this is my conclusion:

[Tangent]

Moscow, as in, Russia?

Are you still in contact with anyone there?  I imagine it’s particularly tough to be an active Latter-day Saint there at the moment . . .

1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Moscow, as in, Russia?

Yes.

Are you still in contact with anyone there?

No, not since I left there at the end of 1994.

I imagine it’s particularly tough to be an active Latter-day Saint there at the moment . . .

Probably, though I have no idea how much Putin's war impacts the average citizen.

4 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I know bashing isn't a good pursuit. But I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

One of my favorite notions on the subject.

Though argument does not create conviction, the lack of it destroys belief. What seems to be proved may not be embraced; but what no one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it maintains a climate in which belief may flourish."
Austin Farrer, "The Christian Apologist"

17 hours ago, zil2 said:

In every case, it was knowledge they had previously received that would be taken away.  Seeing how that happened to someone else was one more motivation for me not to lose the things God has given me.

I'm sure there is some of that going on.  It is doubly difficult for me to understand "forgetting" things because of my memory.  I really wish I could forget some things.  But I can't.  And yet, I suppose most people conveniently forget things that they find to be troublesome facts.

But as John Adams said: Facts are stubborn things.