Yokes and Crosses

laronius

During Elder's Quorum this morning we were discussing the symbolism of Christ's command for us to take upon us His yoke. Many of the comments were similar to comments I've heard before concerning, all of which were good. But during the conversation I made a mental connection, that was new to me, concerning the relationship between this commandment analogy and another commandment analogy for us to take up our cross. So we are to take up His yoke and our cross.

Taking up our cross is generally interpreted as denying ourselves the things of the world and sin in general. This is accomplished as we access the enabling power of the atonement and seek to become more Christlike. In this way the yoke we bear becomes lighter not only because Christ bears our sin but also because there is simply less sin to repent of. 

But it makes me wonder if this yoke/cross relationship goes beyond that. Any thoughts?

4 hours ago, laronius said:

During Elder's Quorum this morning we were discussing the symbolism of Christ's command for us to take upon us His yoke. Many of the comments were similar to comments I've heard before concerning, all of which were good. But during the conversation I made a mental connection, that was new to me, concerning the relationship between this commandment analogy and another commandment analogy for us to take up our cross. So we are to take up His yoke and our cross.

Taking up our cross is generally interpreted as denying ourselves the things of the world and sin in general. This is accomplished as we access the enabling power of the atonement and seek to become more Christlike. In this way the yoke we bear becomes lighter not only because Christ bears our sin but also because there is simply less sin to repent of. 

But it makes me wonder if this yoke/cross relationship goes beyond that. Any thoughts?

My thought is that taking His name upon us is reflected in accepting both invitations. 

I would say that with sanctification, repentance becomes easier. The sanctified eye becomes purer and discerns sins (and human weaknesses and obstacles) that went undetected before, so these things become more numerous for a time until the perfect day. That is not in this life, but as mortals we can have great and persistent joy in this kind of repentance, and certainly our joy increases. This joy in Christ helps burdens and the loads become lighter.

12 hours ago, laronius said:

I see the concepts of a yoke and a cross as two very different things.  I did like @CV75's idea that both are involved in taking upon ourselves the name of Christ.  A yoke is a device engineered specifically for more ease or advantage in moving (carrying or pulling) a load.  A cross is a device engineered specifically for creating pain and suffering.   With this in mind, I see a yoke as a means to deal with the burdens that we carry.  A cross is the suffering and pain we endure for or because of others.

The Traveler

On 3/12/2023 at 3:28 PM, CV75 said:

My thought is that taking His name upon us is reflected in accepting both invitations. 

I would say that with sanctification, repentance becomes easier. The sanctified eye becomes purer and discerns sins (and human weaknesses and obstacles) that went undetected before, so these things become more numerous for a time until the perfect day. That is not in this life, but as mortals we can have great and persistent joy in this kind of repentance, and certainly our joy increases. This joy in Christ helps burdens and the loads become lighter.

I think that is a good comparison. The gospel of Jesus Christ is filled with analogies of this we put on ourselves or bear or are clothed in, etc. But that connection to Christ is always at it's center. I like your comment.

23 hours ago, Traveler said:

I see the concepts of a yoke and a cross as two very different things.  I did like @CV75's idea that both are involved in taking upon ourselves the name of Christ.  A yoke is a device engineered specifically for more ease or advantage in moving (carrying or pulling) a load.  A cross is a device engineered specifically for creating pain and suffering.   With this in mind, I see a yoke as a means to deal with the burdens that we carry.  A cross is the suffering and pain we endure for or because of others.

The Traveler

Christ defined "taking up one's cross" as essentially denying oneself the evils of the world. This to me is the process of sanctification. While Christ is certainly willing to help bear our burdens, especially those connected to sin, His ultimate goal is for us to overcome such things. To this end the more we take up our cross, the more light the burden and easy the yoke. At least that's how I see it.