The Divide Keeps Growing

Carborendum

Again, my MIL's words are becoming ever more prophetic.

https://vtdigger.org/2023/03/13/vermont-religious-school-that-refused-to-play-team-with-trans-player-banned-from-sporting-events/

A Christian K-12 school is now expelled from competing in the league with other high schools because the girls' volleyball team decided to forfeit a match against a school with a trans (biological male) athlete.  They figured they'd just finish the year in whatever place they wound up if they didn't play against that particular team.  Instead, they were completely expelled from further competition.

Instead of lawsuits like the liberals do, the conservative tactic has usually been a Biblical one: Turn the other cheek (in the gentler sense, not the defiant sense).  I'd suggest a different approach.

Private schools like Christian schools ought to make their own leagues.  They would form alliances with other schools with similar values.  Everyone is happy.  It would take some time for trans students to make their way in to tear that down as well.

The inevitable result, however, of separate leagues is that we're furthering the divide between right & left.  The national divorce is the final destination.  But none of us know what that would look like.  We have the Roman Empire as a model.  But the rights enshrined in the Constitution indicate that there is more at stake here than just different borders and different politicians.

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Again, my MIL's words are becoming ever more prophetic.

https://vtdigger.org/2023/03/13/vermont-religious-school-that-refused-to-play-team-with-trans-player-banned-from-sporting-events/

A Christian K-12 school is now expelled from competing in the league with other high schools because the girls' volleyball team decided to forfeit a match against a school with a trans (biological male) athlete.  They figured they'd just finish the year in whatever place they wound up if they didn't play against that particular team.  Instead, they were completely expelled from further competition.

Instead of lawsuits like the liberals do, the conservative tactic has usually been a Biblical one: Turn the other cheek (in the gentler sense, not the defiant sense).  I'd suggest a different approach.

Private schools like Christian schools ought to make their own leagues.  They would form alliances with other schools with similar values.  Everyone is happy.  It would take some time for trans students to make their way in to tear that down as well.

The inevitable result, however, of separate leagues is that we're furthering the divide between right & left.  The national divorce is the final destination.  But none of us know what that would look like.  We have the Roman Empire as a model.  But the rights enshrined in the Constitution indicate that there is more at stake here than just different borders and different politicians.

Hopefully a national divorce doesn't happen as it did with the Nephites and Lamanites in 4 Nephi, but the sifting will continue, and sides will be taken. Very soon the days will be gone when folks could get by just sitting on the sidelines.

2 minutes ago, scottyg said:

Hopefully a national divorce doesn't happen

I have said this my entire adult life. Recently, I realized that I can't name many reasons why I should hope this, other than general platitudes about unity and so forth.

The truth is that the political Left hates us. With a burning passion. Despises us. We are contemptible to them. To quote Hillary, we are "the deplorables". So why is it better to stay in a society with such people? How does it benefit us, or for that matter, them?

21 minutes ago, Vort said:

I have said this my entire adult life. Recently, I realized that I can't name many reasons why I should hope this, other than general platitudes about unity and so forth.

The truth is that the political Left hates us. With a burning passion. Despises us. We are contemptible to them. To quote Hillary, we are "the deplorables". So why is it better to stay in a society with such people? How does it benefit us, or for that matter, them?

It benefits them because those who live according to capitalistic principles are the ones who support the economy and we actually believe it supporting the Constitution which actually gives them rights with which to beat us with.

It benefits us because... uhmmm... well... you see... just because... obviously.

2 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Must we be a unified nation to shine a light in the darkness?

The question was, how does it benefit the political left if we stay in the same society with them?  If "we" means "the political right" then, whatever, I don't care.  I interpreted "we" as "members of Christ's church"1.  In that case, the answer seems beyond obvious:

D&C 123:12 For there are many yet on the earth among all sects, parties, and denominations, who are blinded by the subtle craftiness of men, whereby they lie in wait to deceive, and who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it—

How will they know where to find it if we aren't among them, shining a light?  As far as I know, the gathering of Israel is not complete, so we stay.  (Don't know where else one would go anyway, though my friend says Costa Rica is nice.)

1though @Vort probably meant "the political right".

2 minutes ago, zil2 said:

The question was, how does it benefit the political left if we stay in the same society with them?  If "we" means "the political right" then, whatever, I don't care.  I interpreted "we" as "members of Christ's church"1.  In that case, the answer seems beyond obvious:

How will they know where to find it if we aren't among them, shining a light?  As far as I know, the gathering of Israel is not complete, so we stay.  (Don't know where else one would go anyway, though my friend says Costa Rica is nice.)

1though @Vort probably meant "the political right".

Perhaps you think very differently than I do on what separation means. In point of fact, it would be no different, functionally, than giving governing rights back primarily to the States. I don't want Californians and New Yorkers compelling me legally to accept their perversions by way of law. The Federal government consistently takes upon itself more and more power, and fairly consistently moves to the left. Unification with that power means being compelled by it. As they force me and other like-minded individuals or entities to accept their moral codes by way of law, I don't tend to want to unify under that standard.

You seem to be suggesting that a division of said power would mean we would lose accessibility to them, like...they wouldn't allow missionaries, churches, God-fearing individuals, etc., to visit or even exist among them. But I'm suggesting that if they are going that direction, (which they seem to be) and we are unified with them, then we go in that direction as well, by force of their laws. It strikes me that it might be better they do it without compelling us to do likewise, and that would be significantly more beneficial to those kept from the truth because they know not where to find it than having that truth swallowed by force into larger "unity".

But.... and this is a big but.....it's a meaningless debate. National divorce isn't a possibility. It can't happen. It won't happen. I think fighting for State's rights is the better fight.

Guest Godless
1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Uummm...

Let's say you mean "Free The World."  Yeah, that's what you meant.  Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket.

Lol! That's actually "for the win". 

22 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

National divorce [splitting the United States] isn't a possibility. It can't happen. It won't happen. I think fighting for State's rights is the better fight.

I hope you are right.  The Convention of States is needed to reign in the power of the Federal government and give States more power.  There are also other ways to boost the power of the States over the Federal government.

On 3/15/2023 at 5:09 PM, Still_Small_Voice said:

I hope you are right.  The Convention of States is needed to reign in the power of the Federal government and give States more power.  There are also other ways to boost the power of the States over the Federal government.

A Convention of States will not prevent a divorce.  It can, however, become the conduit through which we can achieve the divorce.  Consider the following thought experiment:

FIrst, I'll acknowledge the difference between a Leftist and a Liberal (short answer: Leftist is FAR liberal.  But there is more to it than that).  But even if you were to lump ALL liberals into the same category, I'd ask anyone to consider these conclusions though this thought experiment:

• If all liberals were to somehow be kidnapped by aliens and taken to a far away galaxy, what would happen to the remaining population of this country?  There would be about a month of mourning, adjustment, and figuring out.  Then we'd move on.
  • If all conservatives were to somehow be kidnapped by aliens and taken to a far away galaxy, what would happen to the remaining population of this country?  The country would immediately begin to fall apart and within a year (possibly a lot less, depending on how many liberals are really leftists) it would become a lot like South Africa today.  I'm not sure if people have been keeping up with the latest conditions of South Africa. But that is the future of this country if conservatives keep losing on both the social and political front.