Tell no one

mikbone

351D98F1-63FF-4BD3-BC9F-7F2909FBBC09.png.4a1d02feb5784bc8754f9d53deed8a63.png

Matthew 8: 3 And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.
4 And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

Matthew 9: 28 And when he was come into the house, the blind men came to him: and Jesus saith unto them, Believe ye that I am able to do this? They said unto him, Yea, Lord.
29 Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you.
30 And their eyes were opened; and Jesus straitly charged them, saying, See that no man know it.
31 But they, when they were departed, spread abroad his fame in all that country.

Luke 8: 54 And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid, arise.
55 And her spirit came again, and she arose straightway: and he commanded to give her meat.
56 And her parents were astonished: but he charged them that they should tell no man what was done.

Luke 8: 38 Now the man out of whom the devils were departed besought him that he might be with him: but Jesus sent him away, saying,

39 Return to thine own house, and shew how great things God hath done unto thee. And he went his way, and published throughout the whole city how great things Jesus had done unto him.

4 hours ago, mikbone said:

351D98F1-63FF-4BD3-BC9F-7F2909FBBC09.png.4a1d02feb5784bc8754f9d53deed8a63.png

Matthew 8: 3 And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.
4 And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

Matthew 9: 28 And when he was come into the house, the blind men came to him: and Jesus saith unto them, Believe ye that I am able to do this? They said unto him, Yea, Lord.
29 Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you.
30 And their eyes were opened; and Jesus straitly charged them, saying, See that no man know it.
31 But they, when they were departed, spread abroad his fame in all that country.

Luke 8: 54 And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid, arise.
55 And her spirit came again, and she arose straightway: and he commanded to give her meat.
56 And her parents were astonished: but he charged them that they should tell no man what was done.

These instances might have been for the protection of the individuals involved because in other cases, the healed were told to testify. Timing might have something to do with it, since the latter seems to heave become the norm after the Lord's ministry had matured (maybe related to having the Twelve trained and sent out). We too are asked to keep certain things sacred by not sharing them as a rule.

Yeah, when Jesus says to do/not do someting, that's the thing to do.  Principles out of the scriptures (@askandanswer mentioned a good one) are good for figuring out day to day living.

I ain't gonna be killing no Labans either, unless an angel of the Lord is speaking directly to me, and being pretty dang clear and transparent about things.

Edited by NeuroTypical

37 minutes ago, laronius said:

I would imagine that in some areas the animosity of certain religious leaders would increase with each miracle. Jesus may have simply been trying to keep tensions low so he could keep preaching until the right time.

I thought He was trying to incite the certain religious leaders.

FWIW:

Matthew 12

14 ¶ Then the Pharisees went out, and held a council against him, how they might destroy him.

15 But when Jesus knew it, he withdrew himself from thence: and great multitudes followed him, and he healed them all;

16 And charged them that they should not make him known:

17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying,

18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.

19 He shall not strive, nor cry; neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets.

20 A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory.

21 And in his name shall the Gentiles trust.

...from tonight's scripture study.  Prophecy must be fulfilled.

2 hours ago, mikbone said:

I thought He was trying to incite the certain religious leaders.

Perhaps once the foundation for His church was laid. Until then I think he tried to not get Rome's attention as they could truly hinder the work (without use of divine power).

On 3/17/2023 at 10:36 AM, mikbone said:

When you first posted this, I was wondering if there was a question.  Based on the pursuant conversation, I'm guessing that you're either wondering why (or asking for opinions on why) the Savior told them to tell no one about the raising the daughter from the dead.

I'm not certain if Jewish beliefs on resurrection have changed since the 1st century.  But modern Jews are split on the idea of resurrection.  Some sects don't even believe in the immortality of the soul itself, much less the ability to reunite soul and body.  Other sects argue about whether the Messiah would resurrect all who had died or not (such as what happened upon Jesus' resurrection).  Others wonder if non-Jews can be resurrected or if only Jews will be resurrected.  Sects differ.

But when they look at Elijah and Elisha who both raised a child from the dead, they argue about whether the children in question were actually dead or if they were simply so close to death that back in that day, they had no way of knowing whether the child was "really" dead or not.

Consider that Jesus said that Jairus' daughter "is not dead, but sleeping."  What did he mean by that?  Was she just in a coma, or suffering from narcolepsy?  Or was she dead in that her spirit had left her body, but had not "crossed-over"?  Was he speaking of spiritual death?  Was he simply saying implying that it was only a temporary condition?  Note that this statement is clearly different than the similar comments made at Lazarus' death.

So, I'd wonder more about that statement than why they were to tell no one. 

He raised others from the dead as well.

• Son of the Widow of Nain (Luke 7:11-17)
  • Lazarus (John 11). 

Neither of these two events were restricted in their proclamations. While the Widow's son was of a less well-known individual, the raising of Lazarus was absolutely public.  It was widely known. 

I've been unable to independently verify, but I was once told that it was a common belief that the spirit "lingered" for three days after a person "died".  This may have been from people who were buried who suffered from narcolepsy.  Or it may be a myth.  But if that was a common belief, then the Pharisees could have dismissed the other two because the person had not been buried for four days.

But they could not dismiss this.  And they sought to kill Jesus from then on (John 11:53).  After that point, he no longer taught among the Jews.  He taught others in the region who were of the House of Israel (John 11:54).

Only after he had completed his teaching in outlying regions did he come back in his triumphal entry on Palm Sunday.  Then he proceeded to cleanse the temple and quickly completed the mission at Gethsemane until they came to arrest him.