Vivek Ramaswamy?

zil2

Anybody have thoughts on this guy?  2024 presidential candidate.  Haven't heard of him before today, so lots of research needed on my part; wondering if anyone else has heard of him and if so, what you think.

https://www.vivek2024.com/

Jordan Peterson Interview on YouTube

12 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

I have a FB friend who raves about this guy but I know nothing about him. He’s got an uphill battle. 

Thanks, Gator! :) Yeah, came out of nowhere, which I like.  I'm liking what I'm learning, but like I said, just starting.

37 minutes ago, zil2 said:

Anybody have thoughts on this guy?  2024 presidential candidate.  Haven't heard of him before today, so lots of research needed on my part; wondering if anyone else has heard of him and if so, what you think.

I would vote for him. But...he doesn't have a snowball's chance in heck. Not unless they actually, you know...arrest Trump, throw him in jail, disqualify him from running, and DeSantis chooses not to run. Then....maybe.

10 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I would vote for him. But...he doesn't have a snowball's chance in heck. Not unless they actually, you know...arrest Trump, throw him in jail, disqualify him from running, and DeSantis chooses not to run. Then....maybe.

I like DeSantis, but it seems like presidential nominees rarely wind up being the guy (or gal) who was getting all the buzz 15 months before the primary.  I have a suspicion that DeSantis will peak too soon, and (assuming Trump implodes, which he may well not) some other dark horse will wind up with the GOP nomination.

Ramaswamy seems to have some intriguing ideas, a unique background and perspective, and a lot to add to the national conversation generally; I suspect his candidacy will be a good thing overall.  I don’t know that he (yet) has the administrative experience to be an effective government executive, and I tend to take a jaded view generally of young wunderkinds who meet certain “diversity” credentials, but . . . time will tell. 

9 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I like DeSantis, but it seems like presidential nominees rarely wind up being the guy (or gal) who was getting all the buzz 15 months before the primary.  I have a suspicion that DeSantis will peak too soon, and (assuming Trump implodes, which he may well not) some other dark horse will wind up with the GOP nomination.

Probably correct. But my point is that this Ramaswamy is, imo, not going to be the dark horse.

I've seen some commentary that DeSantis's response to Trump's potential arrest has ruined his political career. I think that's overstated...but it's such a fickle, weird game, that who knows.

In my point of view (which, when it comes to politics isn't very meaningful), it'll go one of two ways. If not Trump, either the Repub candidate will be milk toast, or extreme. My guess is milk toast. Either way, in the end, I assume, we'll end up with another 4 years of Biden. But SO much can still happen. So we'll see.

And, frankly, I've basically gotten to the point where I can't bring myself to care. Because caring is just a good way to be disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2023 at 1:00 AM, Just_A_Guy said:

I.  I have a suspicion that DeSantis will peak too soon, and (assuming Trump implodes, which he may well not) some other dark horse will wind up with the GOP nomination.

That’s the first time I’ve heard that, and it’s a really, really good analysis. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Godless

Apparently this Vivek dude may have played a role in Don Lemon's firing.

Full disclosure: I don't have much respect for Lemon as a journalist, but he's correct in calling Vivek's assertions historically false in this instance. The NRA spent a lot of its early political influence shaping gun control laws to the disadvantage of blacks and immigrants. 

25 minutes ago, Godless said:

NRA spent a lot of its early political influence shaping gun control laws to the disadvantage of blacks and immigrants

The lobbying branch of the NRA was created in 1975, and while they might have had that goal in the past, the democratic party in 1965 was hardly progressive on race. So if you want to open that door, you can, but I’m not sure that’s in your sides best interest. 

American leftists are very squirmy on guns. They fail to comprehend that the best way to stop a race based attack is to carry a 9mm. Same with LGBTQ rights advocates, womens rights advocates etc

Edited by LDSGator

Guest Godless
1 hour ago, LDSGator said:

The lobbying branch of the NRA was created in 1975, and while they might have had that goal in the past, the democratic party in 1965 was hardly progressive on race. So if you want to open that door, you can, but I’m not sure that’s in your sides best interest.

The Democratic Party didn't truly start getting progressive on race until 15-20 years ago, and it still has some work to do. 

1 hour ago, LDSGator said:

American leftists are very squirmy on guns. They fail to comprehend that the best way to stop a race based attack is to carry a 9mm. Same with LGBTQ rights advocates, womens rights advocates etc

Depends on who you talk to. The left is more divided on guns than a lot of people realize. And don't forget 😉:

Are You Two Friends 07052021234753.jpg

8 minutes ago, Godless said:

The Democratic Party didn't truly start getting progressive on race until 15-20 years ago, and it still has some work to do. 

Depends on who you talk to. The left is more divided on guns than a lot of people realize. And don't forget 😉:

Are You Two Friends 07052021234753.jpg

Oh, I agree totally. In fact, it stunned me to learn than even the liberals/leftists down here usually own guns. Up north that wasn’t my experience.  Vastly different kind of liberalism. Much more snotty and elitist up north. 

And you are correct with the meme too. 

Edited by LDSGator

3 hours ago, Godless said:

Full disclosure: I don't have much respect for Lemon as a journalist, but he's correct in calling Vivek's assertions historically false in this instance. The NRA spent a lot of its early political influence shaping gun control laws to the disadvantage of blacks and immigrants. 

I don't have the slightest interest in defending the NRA, but I think we all could use a nice hefty dose of historical context about the history of gun control in America, especially as it relates to blacks and abolitionists.   I'd urge everyone to pick a couple links here and spend a little while reading.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=early+gun+control+and+abolitionist&ia=web

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 11:47 AM, Godless said:

... he's correct in calling Vivek's assertions historically false in this instance. The NRA spent a lot of its early political influence shaping gun control laws to the disadvantage of blacks and immigrants. 

I think you need to listen to his words again.  Vivek specifically said that they only received their freedom AFTER they were able to secure their 2nd Amendment rights.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your comment about the NRA.  But you've basically made his point.

Disclosure:  The NRA once called me for a donation.  I began speaking with the guy.  But about 30 seconds later I had to basically yell at him to stop with all the rhetoric.  Another 30 seconds later I hung up on him.  

I do not like the NRA.

On 3/20/2023 at 12:45 PM, zil2 said:

I just finished the interview.  Whew!  I just wish.  

If elected, he would be the guy to fix our economy.

On all other issues?  He's got some good positions.  Will that sell to the public?  Probably not.

He's a scholar and an intellectual.  He can talk and explain very clearly.  And he's mostly right.  But I don't think he can sway.

Edited by Carborendum

23 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I just finished the interview.  Whew!  I just wish.  

If elected, he would be the guy to fix our economy.

On all other issues?  He's got some good positions.  Will that sell to the public?  Probably not.

He's a scholar and an intellectual.  He can talk and explain very clearly.  And he's mostly right.  But I don't think he can sway.

He can't trump Trump.

• 4 weeks later...