Then perhaps you aren't prepared to enter the temple.

The new name is not a name we will go by in this life. It applies to when we get sealed to our spouse in the temple, but will have more meaning to us in the Celestial Kingdom.

The garment is a symbol of worthiness, modesty, and obedience. Wearing the garment serves as a reminder of the covenants we make in the temple and the commandments we are to live by. It also serves as spiritual protection.

A person should not seek out occasions in which the garment "does not have to be worn," but should avoid such instances and wear it at all times. If you try to get around wearing the garment then you do not understand the purposes of the temple, and therefore should not enter until you do understand and are willing to live the standards.

Well I know I would never wear the garment to sleep in. I wouldn't wear it in the Summer time when I wear shorts all day. I can't wear one garment all day.

I really don't think we need to wear a garment to understand or keep the promises we made in the Temple.

Sounds like a cult tactic to me.

The Church asks too much of us.

Drop the mockery and antagonism Kona, or find another playground.

Honos

So I've heard that after you get your endowments in the Temple you are given special clothes and a special name. The name I can live with but do you really need to wear the garments all the time? I find this practice - if true - something I will not be able to live with.

I can certainly understand your concerns, as anything that is new or unusual to us may seem quite strange at first glance. And the garment for those who have never contemplated such a commitment as this, would therefore need to be converted to the truth of this being seen and accepted, as a blessing in the lives of the lds members.

But I want you to know that it is. I wish I were able to give you more information on this topic. I have posted a quote given by Russell M. Nelson, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles;

"Wearing the temple garment has deep symbolic significance. It represents a continuing commitment. Just as the Savior exemplified the need to endure to the end, we wear the garment faithfully as part of the enduring armor of God. Thus we demonstrate our faith in Him and in His eternal covenants with us."

I love the way he says this. So, like armor, it is a spiritual protection against negative influences in my life as I remember who I am and continually helping to keep me on the path that will lead me in the right way. The faithful wearing of the garment reflects my own personal commitment to the covenants that I have made with God, and reminds me again to keep those covenants continually before me.

I remember when I first received my garments, it was August, yuck! But almost 30 years later and they are now a second skin that 'almost' I am used to. LOL But if I ever have need to go without them briefly, my spirit truly feels that something is missing and I am ready to place them back where they belong. They truly have become a symbol of my heart and the covenants I have made with God. Now, I am the only one who knows I am wearing them most anywhere I go and that is between me and my God, the only ONE who truly knows my heart.

I never even stop for a second and think these are strange. Strange, huh? LOL

I guess I just don't understand. And even if I did I doubt that my nature - even if I was filled with the spirit - would allow me to wear the garment. I couldn't do it. :(

Brother, why worry about it now? You aren't being asked to do this yet. There is no need to run before you walk.

First, grow your faith in Christ. In order to do this you need to know Christ. This comes through studying His word and getting to know Him through prayer. When you find faith in Christ, any changes in your life will come natural. But don't live by fear. trust me, ive been down that road and its not fun. Acting with faith is always better.

I guess I just don't understand. And even if I did I doubt that my nature - even if I was filled with the spirit - would allow me to wear the garment. I couldn't do it. :(

I thought the same way when I converted. Ex military and bull headed. You would be amazed at how easy it was to switch to garments. If you are serious about your comittment to God and his plan this would be a mute subject. Sounds to me IMO that the adversary is working doubt in your heart and mind. Happens all the time. Your not alone.....

f4k

So I've heard that after you get your endowments in the Temple you are given special clothes and a special name. The name I can live with but do you really need to wear the garments all the time? I find this practice - if true - something I will not be able to live with.

So you have a curious question, which means you aren't asking to learn you are asking to satisfy a curiosity. Curiosities are part of the mortal experience. The covenants in the temple are of spiritual nature. Once you're ready to seperate the two you'll be able to understand the temple experience. Until then, please respect those of us who have been to the temple.

I think you'd be surprised with what you can do if "filled with the spirit," an understanding of why the garment is worn, and with some determination.

Just out of curiosity, what is your line of work? I ask because I live in Alabama and used to do landscaping during August, the hottest and most humid time of the year in these parts, while wearing the garment. It is definitely something to which you must acclimate yourself.

EDIT: I saw in another thread where you answered the question. I also used to unload trucks at a Target distribution center.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("avatar")</div>

First, grow your faith in Christ. In order to do this you need to know Christ. This comes through studying His word and getting to know Him through prayer. When you find faith in Christ, any changes in your life will come natural.

Very well written, avatar.

There are many things God asks of those who would truly follow Him, When you have a testimony of Jesus Christ and His gospel, and understand his teachings you will understand that 'the CHurch' does not ask us to do things, we do things out of obedience to Christ.

Right now you know very little of what Christ wants, questioning garments would be like us giving a lesson on calculus to a kindergartner. First see what Christ wants of you, don't try to run before you learn how to walk, even if you become a member, no one requires you to go to the Temple. If after being a member for a year and preparing yourself for the Temple you then want to come back and ask about garments - fine, but for now, don't worry about it, no one is going to grab you and force you to wear garment or do anything else you are not ready for.

Guest Seraphim

Well I know I would never wear the garment to sleep in. I wouldn't wear it in the Summer time when I wear shorts all day. I can't wear one garment all day.

I really don't think we need to wear a garment to understand or keep the promises we made in the Temple.

Sounds like a cult tactic to me.

The Church asks too much of us.

Kona: Comparing the church to a cult is inflammatory and we expect the highest amount of respect when discussing garments or anything temple related. Please keep your questions and comments respectful.

Thank you,

Seraphim

The church itself isn't doing the asking. God is the one doing the asking. Who are we to tell Him that he asks too much of us?

"If ye love me, keep my commandments."

Just something to think about. ;)

I would just advise you to pray with an open mind and open heart. It just seems to me that you are fighting the Spirit and trying to come up with reasons why not to do what is asked of us. Garments, marriage to your girlfriend, etc. Take each item one step at a time and the rest will fall in line.

Evangelicals use the word cult to try and label group's that deviates from what they consider orthodoxy. They label groups a cult that is polarized around someones interpretation of the Bible. Any group that deviates from what they think is orthodox Christianity get's the label. I don't happen to agree with their idea of orthodoxy, but that's how Evangelicals think of the LDS Church.

Another definition of cult would be in regards to cult's that engage in genuine brain-washing.

I don't consider the garment as proof LDS are a cult. My family has had many active LDS who have gone to the temple for year's. They arn't complaining, or they wouldn't be wearing them. They don't think the church asked to much of them. I don't see LDS people as brainwashed.

I am Community of Christ/RLDS and my church never adopted the temple ceremonies. But without getting into temple content i myself consider LDS temple practice beautiful. Outside of what LDS feel is ok to tell about what goes on in temple's i won't get into. I find LDS leader's allude to everything that goes on just not as specific as would be in a transcript. Ex-LDS have published the ceremonies for year's and have proven themselve's to be of poor character by mocking what is sacred to LDS.

Hello kona...

If I were you, I would be a little careful about making any hard and fast statements yet about what you would or wouldn't be able to do in regard to garments... you don't know now what you'd be able to do...or even want to do later as your knowledge and spirit grows...

Quite frankly, no one is ever going to force you to go to the temple... you can be a member and choose not to go to the temple. Of course, you'd be missing out on some wonderful blessings, not just here but in the life to come... but that would be up to you.

I think you need to do some studying... there are papers from FAIR and FARMS addressing temple rituals, ancient and modern. There are books available...

As for me, I've worn my garments for the past 12 years since receiving my temple endowment, and now if I don't have them on I actually feel "undressed" and like gvr... they are like my spiritual armor, a reminder of my covenants, an outward sign of my inward spiritual heart and soul...

And please don't again refer to something as cult-like just because you don't happen to understand it...

The Garden Girl

I understand it I just don't understand why people actually do it. i guess in time I too could wear the garment.

I was talking to a friend and he knew a fair amount about the Mormon religion. Something he said disturbed me even greater than the wearing of garments. He said if you get high up in the Church - that is to say if you become a General Authority or such - that you have oil rubbed on your body while your naked from head to foot. I find this hard to understand as well.

Anyhow it seems I owe everyone an apology. :(

I understand it I just don't understand why people actually do it. i guess in time I too could wear the garment.

I was talking to a friend and he knew a fair amount about the Mormon religion. Something he said disturbed me even greater than the wearing of garments...

Where did your friend get his information? I suspect it is nothing more than gossip / hearsay. I wouldn't know about all that since I'm not a general authority, but accusations such as that do not cause me any worry, because I know from my life experience that the church is not in the practice of doing anything that is not wholesome and virtuous.

You apparently are inclined to get caught up on anything that sounds strange to you like the garment. Keep in mind that when Christ started his ministry, his teachings sounded very strange to the people then, who were still uptight about their traditions and the law of Moses... just because his teachings were strange to them doesn't mean they weren't true teachings from God.

I say this because you will probably come across more things that you find strange if that is what your mind is looking for. But don't discount things you find strange at first until you take the opportunity to study things out and pray. Also don't take things your friend tells you at face value- do your own homework and find out about the mormons from the mormons.

Your friend who you say knows a fair amount about us- I wonder about the source of his so called knowledge of us. Is it a source that is not friendly to the church? Try to stick with church approved sources to make sure you get the real truth about us. Also as others have said, you need to learn to walk before you run, so stick with learning the basic principles of the gospel, and most important, pray! You need to learn to pray and ask your heavenly father if the mormons have a good thing going here or not. Ask Him if what the missionaries teach you is true. Did Joseph Smith really see and talk with God? Is the Book of Mormon true? (you also need to read it) Are there really prophets today that receive the word of the Lord?

I was talking to a friend and he knew a fair amount about the Mormon religion. Something he said disturbed me even greater than the wearing of garments. He said if you get high up in the Church - that is to say if you become a General Authority or such - that you have oil rubbed on your body while your naked from head to foot. I find this hard to understand as well.

I think your friend has been given some shoddy, ill-researched, or outright fabricated lies about mormonism. The last time I heard this criticism, it was from someone who "could never be a mormon, because I don't want my loins touched in the temple". He went on to claim it happened to everyone that went there.

Well, I've been there, and no, it doesn't.

LM

The other day I was talking to my neighbor lady and she said something to me about wearing a garment that goes to her knees and I didnt think any thing of it because quite a few women in that age group wear things fro control and vericose veins and such. is this the garment that you are speaking of? and if it is then why do people where it? Well I guess I mean why does God ask people to where it?

From LDS.org:

Wearing the Temple Garment

Once people are endowed, they have the blessing of wearing the temple garment throughout their lives. They are obligated to wear it according to the instructions given in the endowment. Those who have been endowed in the temple must remember that the blessings that are related to this sacred privilege depend on their worthiness and their faithfulness in keeping temple covenants.

The garment provides a constant reminder of the covenants made in the temple. The garment should be treated with respect at all times. It should not be exposed to the view of those who do not understand its significance, and it should not be adjusted to accommodate different styles of clothing. When worn properly, the garment provides protection against temptation and evil. Wearing the garment is an outward expression of an inward commitment to follow the Savior.

From LDSFaq:

Q: What are Latter-day Saint garments?

A: The word "garment" has a distinctive meaning to Latter-day Saints. Members who have received the ordinance of the temple endowment wear a white ceremonial undergarment. Members wear the garment under their regular clothing for the rest of their lives, day and night, to remind them of the sacred covenants they have made with God. It is an outward expression of an inward covenant and symbolizes Christlike attributes in one's mission in life. The white garment symbolizes purity and helps assure modesty and respect for the attributes of God. Scripture and ancient tradition point toward the significance of sacral clothing. The clergy and ministry in almost all major faiths wear special clothing. For Latter-day Saints, among whom there is no professional ministry, men and women from all walks of life share in the callings, responsibilities, and blessings of the priesthood. Their sacred clothing, representing covenants with God, is worn under rather than outside their street clothes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Wearing the Temple Garment

Once people are endowed, they have the blessing of wearing the temple garment throughout their lives. They are obligated to wear it according to the instructions given in the endowment. Those who have been endowed in the temple must remember that the blessings that are related to this sacred privilege depend on their worthiness and their faithfulness in keeping temple covenants.

The garment provides a constant reminder of the covenants made in the temple. The garment should be treated with respect at all times. It should not be exposed to the view of those who do not understand its significance, and it should not be adjusted to accommodate different styles of clothing. When worn properly, the garment provides protection against temptation and evil. Wearing the garment is an outward expression of an inward commitment to follow the Savior.

From LDSFaq:

Q: What are Latter-day Saint garments?

A: The word "garment" has a distinctive meaning to Latter-day Saints. Members who have received the ordinance of the temple endowment wear a white ceremonial undergarment. Members wear the garment under their regular clothing for the rest of their lives, day and night, to remind them of the sacred covenants they have made with God. It is an outward expression of an inward covenant and symbolizes Christlike attributes in one's mission in life. The white garment symbolizes purity and helps assure modesty and respect for the attributes of God. Scripture and ancient tradition point toward the significance of sacral clothing. The clergy and ministry in almost all major faiths wear special clothing. For Latter-day Saints, among whom there is no professional ministry, men and women from all walks of life share in the callings, responsibilities, and blessings of the priesthood. Their sacred clothing, representing covenants with God, is worn under rather than outside their street clothes.

Thank you LM for your post - I had been searching for this.

Throughout the bible there have been many instances of garments having symbolic meanings, requirements for specific garments to be worn for specific practices, it doesn't take much to look through and find references to these things:

#

Lev. 16: 4, 23-24, 32

4 He shall put on the holy linen coat, and he shall have the linen breeches upon his flesh, and shall be girded with a linen girdle, and with the linen mitre shall he be attired: these are holy garments; therefore shall he wash his flesh in water, and so put them on.

• • •

23 And Aaron shall come into the tabernacle of the congregation, and shall put off the linen garments, which he put on when he went into the holy place, and shall leave them there:

24 And he shall wash his flesh with water in the holy place, and put on his garments, and come forth, and offer his burnt offering, and the burnt offering of the people, and make an atonement for himself, and for the people.

• • •

32 And the priest, whom he shall anoint, and whom he shall consecrate to minister in the priest’s office in his father’s stead, shall make the atonement, and shall put on the linen clothes, even the holy garments:

THE SECOND BOOK OF MOSES CALLED

EXODUS

CHAPTER 39

Holy garments made for Aaron and the priests—They make the breastplate—Tabernacle of the congregation finished—Moses blesses the people.

1 And of the blue, and purple, and scarlet, they made cloths of service, to do service in the holy place, and made the holy garments for Aaron; as the LORD commanded Moses.

2 And he made the ephod of gold, blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen.

3 And they did beat the gold into thin plates, and cut it into wires, to work it in the blue, and in the purple, and in the scarlet, and in the fine linen, with cunning work.

4 They made shoulderpieces for it, to couple it together: by the two edges was it coupled together.

5 And the curious girdle of his ephod, that was upon it, was of the same, according to the work thereof; of gold, blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen; as the LORD commanded Moses.

6 ¶ And they wrought onyx stones inclosed in ouches of gold, graven, as signets are graven, with the names of the children of Israel.

7 And he put them on the shoulders of the ephod, that they should be stones for a memorial to the children of Israel; as the LORD commanded Moses.

8 ¶ And he made the breastplate of cunning work, like the work of the ephod; of gold, blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen.

9 It was foursquare; they made the breastplate double: a span was the length thereof, and a span the breadth thereof, being doubled.

10 And they set in it four rows of stones: the first row was a asardius, a topaz, and a carbuncle: this was the first row.

11 And the second row, an emerald, a sapphire, and a diamond.

12 And the third row, a ligure, an agate, and an amethyst.

13 And the fourth row, a beryl, an onyx, and a jasper: they were inclosed in ouches of gold in their inclosings.

14 And the stones were according to the names of the children of Israel, twelve, according to their names, like the engravings of a signet, every one with his name, according to the twelve tribes.

15 And they made upon the breastplate chains at the ends, of wreathen work of pure gold.

16 And they made two ouches of gold, and two gold rings; and put the two rings in the two ends of the breastplate.

17 And they put the two wreathen chains of gold in the two rings on the ends of the breastplate.

18 And the two ends of the two wreathen chains they fastened in the two ouches, and put them on the shoulderpieces of the ephod, before it.

19 And they made two rings of gold, and put them on the two ends of the breastplate, upon the border of it, which was on the side of the ephod inward.

20 And they made two other golden rings, and put them on the two sides of the ephod underneath, toward the forepart of it, over against the other coupling thereof, above the curious girdle of the ephod.

21 And they did bind the breastplate by his rings unto the rings of the ephod with a lace of blue, that it might be above the curious girdle of the ephod, and that the breastplate might not be loosed from the ephod; as the LORD commanded Moses.

22 ¶ And he made the robe of the ephod of woven work, all of blue.

23 And there was an hole in the midst of the robe, as the hole of an ahabergeon, with a band round about the hole, that it should not rend.

24 And they made upon the hems of the robe pomegranates of blue, and purple, and scarlet, and twined linen.

25 And they made bells of pure gold, and put the bells between the pomegranates upon the hem of the robe, round about between the pomegranates;

26 A bell and a pomegranate, a bell and a pomegranate, round about the hem of the robe to minister in; as the LORD commanded Moses.

27 ¶ And they made coats of fine linen of woven work for Aaron, and for his sons,

28 And a mitre of fine linen, and goodly bonnets of fine linen, and linen breeches of fine twined linen,

29 And a girdle of fine twined linen, and blue, and purple, and scarlet, of needlework; as the LORD commanded Moses.

30 ¶ And they made the plate of the holy crown of pure gold, and wrote upon it a writing, like to the engravings of a signet, HOLINESS TO THE LORD.

31 And they tied unto it a lace of blue, to fasten it on high upon the mitre; as the LORD commanded Moses.

In light of this maybe it will seem less strange to people that God requires his followers to wear special garments.

• 4 weeks later...

Love for the ordinances of the Temple and the sacred (though, strange to those who don't understand them) things of this church will come naturally as you build your testimony... and as you grow in this Church you'll realize how special and how great of a blessing these things are. Everything in this church has a practical purpose, and that includes garments. God will never ask or expect you to do anything that you aren't prepared for.