The times of Mormon

I am thinking it is time to hide up copies of the records, the same way Ammaron did in the book of Mormon. We are in real danger of the collapse of our civilization. When that happens, people will turn on each other in order to survive.

4 Nephi 1:

48 And it came to pass that when three hundred and twenty years had passed away, Ammaron, being constrained by the Holy Ghost, did hide up the records which were sacred—yea, even all the sacred records which had been handed down from generation to generation, which were sacred—even until the three hundred and twentieth year from the coming of Christ.

49 And he did hide them up unto the Lord, that they might come again unto the remnant of the house of Jacob, according to the prophecies and the promises of the Lord. And thus is the end of the record of Ammaron.

8 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I am thinking it is time to hide up copies of the records

If you mean the Church as an organization, already done and continually doing.  If you mean us as individuals, then I'm going to interpret this as ensuring we each have our own copies of "the records" - which I will interpret as "scriptures".  I keep my paper copies just in case the end of the world happens while I'm alive and breaks the "Library" app. :D  If you mean something else, I'm not sure what that may be.

1 hour ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

We are in real danger of the collapse of our civilization. When that happens, people will turn on each other in order to survive.

Ooh!   Maybe we should move this discussion to the Preparadness forum.   I love the preparadness forum!

1 hour ago, zil2 said:

If you mean the Church as an organization, already done and continually doing.  If you mean us as individuals, then I'm going to interpret this as ensuring we each have our own copies of "the records" - which I will interpret as "scriptures".  I keep my paper copies just in case the end of the world happens while I'm alive and breaks the "Library" app. :D  If you mean something else, I'm not sure what that may be.

We're doing that as well. 

We've asked for one copy of the CFM manual for the family.  And we're keeping them all.  But something happened this year.  They never delivered any.

We always have paper copies of the scriptures.  And we've built up a library of classic literature and a whole lot of self-help books for homeschooling purposes.  We've got a lot of other books.  We have the 1828 dictionary.  We have the Harvard Classics.  We have the Great Books of the Western World (there's a lot of overlap between those two sets).

Too bad we were never really fans of Roald Dahl.  I think we have Charlie and the Chocolate factory.  And we also don't have any Lemony Snicket. 

We've been incorporating this practice for the past 10 to 15 years.

So, if the internet were to go bust and all the public libraries went bust, we could still educate our grandchildren to a high school level.  And for engineers, they could get a college level education.

The one thing I'll miss is the "search" function.  I remember phrases, words, and topics, not section numbers or chapter and verse.  But so many books don't have proper indices and ToCs.  It is almost impossible to find things in some publications.

Edited by Carborendum

5 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Too bad we were never really fans of Roald Dahl.

Not too bad. Fans of Roald Dahl are also known as sociopaths.

But Lemony Snicket is good for those with a sneaky junior-high-school sense of humor and enjoyment of openly stupid yet clever wordplay.

Edited by Vort

39 minutes ago, Vort said:

I believe that's what I said.

So my daughter (6) wrote* a story the other day. Here it is:

Once upon a time there was a little ghost in a house -- a haunted house. Everybody was allowed in, but be aware there are some mean ghosts that live there. But the people didn't believe it. So everybody ran away because the ghosts were chasing them and it was really scary. And all that was left was one person because all the other people got killed by the ghosts.

What was next to do was get more people to kill the ghosts, because there were 100 ghosts and only one person. So he went to get the rest of the people to help with the 100 ghosts. But then there was an exciting bit - they killed all the ghosts and then they ran home because they were so sleepy.

And then when they came home there was a scary moment because there was zombies in their house! And then when they had to fight, and they killed all the zombies. so then they could eat, but there was no food left and all the shops were empty. And then they just had to find food. If they didn't have food, they had to find food. But if they didn't find food, they wouldn't survive. The didn't find food at all. There was no food and they died.

Their kids were just at home playing outside.

*by "wrote" I mean dictated as my wife wrote.

Edited by The Folk Prophet