Signs of the Times

mikbone

There is only one that I actually track.  In med school you learn to focus on the hart of the matter, and not the details.

"If you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras."

Anyway...

The Rainbow is a sign for seed time and harvest when the Rainbow is not to be seen— it is a sign of the commencement of famine— & pestilence &c &c and that the coming of the Messiah is not far distant the Messiah will not come this year— upsets Millerites the Messiah will not come for 40 years— and he told the people to write it— a very large & attentive congregation

From - "Discourse, 10 March 1844, as Reported by Thomas Bullock," p. [3], The Joseph Smith Papers, accessed March 23, 2023, https://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper-summary/discourse-10-march-1844-as-reported-by-thomas-bullock/1

The Savior will not come this year. <nor 40 year to come.> The bow has been seen in the cloud & in that year that the bow is seen seed time and harvest will be. but when the bow ceases to be seen look out for a famine.  [5 lines blank] [p. [30]]

"Journal, December 1842–June 1844; Book 4, 1 March–22 June 1844," p. [30], The Joseph Smith Papers, accessed March 23, 2023, https://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper-summary/journal-december-1842-june-1844-book-4-1-march-22-june-1844/32

Genesis 9: 16 And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.  17 And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.

This in my mind has 3 options:

1) There will be a drought so bad that no rain will fall on the entire earth for a year.

2) There will be a catastrophic even that will prevent daylight from shining brightly enough to make a rainbow.  I'm thinking a volcanic or nuclear winter.  

https://scied.ucar.edu/learning-zone/how-climate-works/mount-tambora-and-year-without-summer#:~:text=Snow fell in New England,The Year Without a Summer.”

3) The physics that cause rainbows to be visualized will be changed.

Guess what I saw last week?

B65BC3A6-582E-4700-AB56-D9A5634FBA7B.thumb.jpeg.4aa8bfac4da50266167b500b26bdb9bf.jpeg

Edited by mikbone

1 minute ago, zil2 said:

So what you're saying is (since we have at least 40 years to go) I should expect to die before the Millennium.  Got it.  I find that oddly disappointing.

940E9FD9-0F3C-433E-8144-31E4BEF28CB1.jpeg.23c3d86e7f502771ba168f78d8174a52.jpeg

I think Joseph Smith was telling the congregation that they were safe for 40 years, back in 1844.

We got another year at the least.

You know what I’m not gonna do?

panic! 

43 minutes ago, mikbone said:

There is only one that I actually track.  

I actively track two.  The other one is when ALL the missionaries are called home.

When the testimony of the Elders ceases to be given, and the Lord says to them, “Come home; I will now preach my own sermons to the nations of the earth,” all you now know can scarcely be called a preface to the sermon that will be preached with fire and sword, tempests, earthquakes, hail, rain, thunders and lightnings, and fearful destruction. What matters the destruction of a few railway cars? You will hear of magnificent cities, now idolized by the people, sinking in the earth, entombing the inhabitants. The sea will heave itself beyond its bounds, engulfing mighty cities. Famine will spread over the nations, and nation will rise up against nation, kingdom against kingdom, and states against states, in our own country and in foreign lands; and they will destroy each other, caring not for the blood and lives of their neighbors, of their families, or for their own lives.

~Brigham Young

44 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Why?

I dunno, just a sort of instinctual reaction.

Likely, selfishness all around.  On the one hand, if it's 40 years away, that means I have to figure out how to provide for myself for however long the rest of my life is (20 more years would be my high estimate).  Having the arrival of the Millennium solve all my problems sounds grand.  (And yes, this is pretty much a joke, since I don't think it will really do that, though in some ways, I think it will do that.)  The world (aka wicked) ending sooner rather than later sounds good (this assumes, of course, that I don't turn out to be one of the wicked - I don't usually think I am, but some days I wonder).

And, it would mean I don't get to experience the Millennium as a mortal - I've always thought that those who survive would be altered into something less telestial and more terrestrial in nature - sort of a semi translation, if you will...  If I understand correctly, those living in the Millennium won't need doctors and such - presumably the Lord would heal whatever ails people at the time...  Lots of exciting stuff will be going on.  Seems like it would be a happy thing to experience as a mortal.

Of course, one can assume there will be lots of exciting stuff whether you're mortal or a spirit awaiting resurrection (or just resurrected)...

Let me emphasize a different word.

1 hour ago, mikbone said:

The Savior will not come this year. <nor 40 year to come.> The bow has been seen in the cloud & in that year that the bow is seen seed time and harvest will be. but when the bow ceases to be seen look out for a famine.  [5 lines blank] [p. [30]]

During COVID, I believe pretty much the whole world was stuck indoors.  Did anyone see a rainbow in 2020? +/-.

We saw famine, didn't we?

For some time, I have had the impression that there are two things or directions going at the end of times.  One is an increase in wickedness and the other is an increase in righteousness.   Mostly we see or think of wickedness as people behaving badly, which is in part that which is the problem.  Anciently righteousness was understood to be entering into covenant with G-d.  Wickedness was the opposite – not entering into covenant with G-d.   Many think to understand well the signs of wickedness abounding and increasing in the last days.  However, there will also be an increase in righteousness of covenant with G-d.

For whatever reason most seem to focus on the increases in wickedness and as such have no concept or idea for what the increases in righteousness can or may look like.  I am of the opinion that understanding the righteousness is a parallel with the righteousness in the days of Noah.  In those days, Zion prospered and it inhabitants walked with G-d.  I speculate that there will be a great separation between those that are righteous and those that are wicked.  Part of this separation will be because many will not understand how things are interpreted between those that fallow light and those that follow after darkness.

What are the signs and indication of righteousness?

The Traveler

11 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

During COVID, I believe pretty much the whole world was stuck indoors.  Did anyone see a rainbow in 2020? +/-.

We saw famine, didn't we?

Maybe around half of the world's population lives in cities.  There was no 'stuck indoors' for folks living outside of cities.

As far as famines go, city folk couldn't find toilet paper for a few months, but trust me, that's not what famine looks like. ;)   I'm not finding an easy chart with recent data, but I seriously doubt we reached the '60's, or even the '70's numbers during COVID.

Famine death rate since 1860s revised

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Did anyone remember seeing a rainbow?

That is a totally fair question.   I remember I used to look for rainbows for exactly this purpose.  It made for a fun conversation while driving. "Oh - there's the rainbow!  I guess we're good for another year."   

I stopped paying attention to rainbows years ago though.  So I honestly don't remember.