Missionary from the mirkwood house

mirkwood

5 hours ago, mirkwood said:

My son reports to the MTC May 29th.

osmap.jpg

Congrats to your son! Great announcement. I'm sure you must be proud.

This was my mission. I served in Bend, Madras, Eugene, and Springfield back when Oregon only had 2 missions (top half Portland, bottom half Eugene). Looks like there's at least 3 now. He's going to love it. Oregon is a wonderful state. 

Edited by clbent04

15 hours ago, mirkwood said:

My son reports to the MTC May 29th.

osmap.jpg

Long ago in a galaxy far away I was a missionary in the Northwestern States Mission (Washington, Oregon and Idaho.  While serving in Bend Oregon my mission president changed.  My new mission president was somewhat unhappy that I did not understand area boundaries well and was traveling and teaching somewhat throughout the mission.   In Bend there was a minister of another church that would have my companion and I over for dinner once a week.  Worked very hard to get him baptized but he was concerned with his “flock”.  We did baptize a family from his congregation and at the time our resources were limited.  He had a problem with our baptismal fount and ended up using the baptismal fount at his church.  Of course he attended and I thought for sure the spirit of the baptism touched him.  One other odd kind of thing.  He had these fishing waders he would use so he did not get wet when he baptized for his congregation that he offered for me to wear.  I pointed out to him that when John the Baptist baptized Jesus that they went into the water together and both got wet.  I never found out what happened to this minister and over time I have forgotten his particular religious sect and his name.  This was recorded in my journal that was lost (perhaps stolen) during a later transfer.

When I was in Bend there were two little wards there and a ward in Prineville and Redmon and a little branch in John Day and another In Burns that comprised the stake.  There was a guy in Bend that started the Les Schwab Tire stores.  We did talk with him but he was not interested but never-the-less a really good guy and employed a few LDS members.  Visited Bend recently and so much has changed I did not recognize anything or anybody. 

Your son is going to a great mission with quite a history.  A great place to go and add some new history of his own.

The Traveler

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Excellent, @mirkwood!  The woke folk of that area absolutely are thirsting for what he has to offer.

That mission comprises a large area that is not particularly woke, and I believe the non-wokists are thirsting at least as much as the woke folk for the pure word of Christ.

11 minutes ago, Vort said:

That mission comprises a large area that is not particularly woke, and I believe the non-wokists are thirsting at least as much as the woke folk for the pure word of Christ.

I agree.  It doesn't include the Portland and surrounding areas which are very woke. 

• 2 weeks later...