Single members are just as capable as married members

clbent04

I was reading the biographies of some recently called Area 70 leaders and started thinking to myself my gosh look how successful and how many kids they all have which immediately made me question if I was doing a good enough job since I've been divorced and only have 1 child, but then I discovered on the same page where I was reading the biographies some reassuring advice from Elder Ballard.

My takeaway reading Elder's Ballard's advice is no matter how many kids we have or if we don't have any at all or if we are single, married or divorced, we are all equally valuable and can serve in pretty much all of the leadership positions that anyone else can, and that even if a strong, statistical argument can be made that the Church only calls people to leadership positions who have at least 4 children and married, it's official position is it does not! Lol. The official position is reassuring to me. We are all equally valuable no matter if someone else might appear to be further ahead of us.

Article from Elder Ballard copied and pasted below:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/april-2021-general-conference-leadership-meeting

President M. Russell Ballard, Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

President Ballard said that more than half of adult Latter-day Saints are widowed, divorced or have never married. “Some wonder about their opportunities and place in the eternal plan and in the Savior’s Church,” he said. “We remind all that eternal life is not simply a question of current marital status but of discipleship, that is, being ‘valiant in the testimony of Jesus’ (Doctrine and Covenants 76:79).”

As was announced in an update to the General Handbook on March 31, 2021, President Ballard said that singles in the Church now have more ways to serve in their congregations around the globe.

“Marital status has nothing to do with one’s capacity to serve and bless the lives of others. The Lord honors those who wait upon Him in patience and faith,” President Ballard said. “We can do better at providing opportunities for our single members to serve. I am not talking about creating service projects, although those are important. I am talking about giving them significant callings, including leadership callings. Single members are just as capable as married members. There are only a few callings, such as stake president and bishop, that are specified only for married members. The restriction of having only married men serve as counselors in bishoprics and stake presidencies in young single adult wards and stakes has been removed.” These prior restrictions existed only in single adult and young single adult wards and stakes. In all other congregations, there were no such limitations.

“Don’t worry about their age either,” he added. “I am 92. I am glad I was not released from my calling as Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles because of my age or at the death of my wife. I love my Savior Jesus Christ, and I love helping to build up His Church. Most members feel the same way. This gives us hope in Christ and a feeling of belonging.”

The Apostle also shared five doctrinal assurances that Church leaders can use to help single adults in their midst.

1. “The scriptures and declarations of latter-day prophets confirm that every person who is faithful in the gospel covenant will have the opportunity for exaltation.”

2. “The precise times and manner in which the blessings of exaltation are bestowed upon every faithful person have not all been revealed, but they are nonetheless assured.”

3. “Waiting upon the Lord implies continued obedience and spiritual progress.”

4. “God offers eternal life to all of His children. All those who accept the Lord Jesus Christ’s gracious gift of repentance and strive to be obedient to His commandments will qualify for eternal life.”

5. “Our confidence in these assurances is rooted in our faith in Jesus Christ by whose grace all things pertaining to mortality are set right.”

Edited by clbent04

36 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

My takeaway reading Elder's Ballard's advice is no matter how many kids we have or if we don't have any at all or if we are single, married or divorced, we are all equally valuable and can serve in pretty much all of the leadership positions that anyone else can, and that even if a strong, statistical argument can be made that the Church only calls people to leadership positions who have at least 4 children and married, it's official position is it does not!

If salvation is based on attaining advanced leadership callings, I am doomed. And so, incidentally, are some of the best people I have known.

16 minutes ago, Vort said:

If salvation is based on attaining advanced leadership callings, I am doomed. And so, incidentally, are some of the best people I have known.

I’ve only known three bishops and all were fine people, but I’m constantly amazed how many truly great people don’t get called for leadership positions. It’s astounding to me! 

1 hour ago, Vort said:

I don't think church callings are a factor at all to our salvation. But I do think a lot of the GA's have figured things out that the average church member will eventually need to figure out specifically with being more in tune to the Spirit.