Last Days' Timeline

Maverick

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've lurked off and on for about the past year. I've read through a lot of the different discussions on this forum, including ones from a long time ago. I'm impressed with the overall quality of discussion and the civility that I have observed here and would like to join in. 

A little bit about me. I'm a lifelong active member of the church, served a full-time mission, sealed in the temple, and currently serving as a counselor in the bishopric in my ward. I am a firm believer in the truthfulness of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I believe that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord's one true church upon the earth today and that the brethren who stand at the head of this church hold the keys of kingdom. While I love the church and the restored gospel and consider myself to be a true believer, I also have concerns over the state of the church, particularly the state of the general membership today. I feel that as a people we are collectively way too immersed in Babylon and in a state where most of us can no longer bear the meat of the gospel, and often can scarcely handle the milk. I believe that there will need to be a major shake up within the church prior to the Second Coming to awaken us out of the deep spiritual sleep that so many of us find ourselves in.

I love studying the scriptures, particularly the prophecies about the last days. It's been a few years since I really immersed myself in studying the last days' prophecies, but after reading through this past week's Come Follow Me readings, I feel impressed that I need to do a deep dive into the last days prophecies and try to piece together all of the different prophecies into a basic timeline of events. I would really like to know what is coming next for the church and the world at large before the Lord returns again. 

So my question to all of you as I begin this venture is if any of you know of any last days' timelines that you could recommend as a resource for me to use as I study this out and try to piece everything together? And if any of you have done a similar study yourselves, I would love to hear any insights you might have. Any recommendations or insights would be much appreciated.

8 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Get a copy of Gerald Lund's book The Coming of the Lord (not his book The Second Coming of the Lord.)

The Coming of the Lord: Gerald N. Lund: 9781590382080: Amazon.com: Books

Thank you for the recommendation. I just remembered that I actually have a copy of this book on my bookshelf, which I inherited from my wife's late grandfather. I had forgotten about it. I will have to give it a read. 

1 minute ago, Maverick said:

Thank you for the recommendation. I just remembered that I actually have a copy of this book on my bookshelf, which I inherited from my wife's late grandfather. I had forgotten about it. I will have to give it a read. 

I think it is the best book on the topic of the Last Days.

23 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I agree that it is a fabulous book.  One thing to keep in mind is that it mentions what will happen.  There really is no "when."  Not even the angels of heaven know.

26 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I agree that it is a fabulous book.  One thing to keep in mind is that it mentions what will happen.  There really is no "when."  Not even the angels of heaven know.

The only definitive timeframe that we have been given is that the Lord’s return is very near, even at the doors. 

From my studies I have concluded that there are still quite a few things that need to happen before the Lord’s return in glory in the clouds of heaven. My current belief is that something major is going to happen to really set things in motion and then most of the prophesied events that still need to happen will occur in pretty rapid succession.

The nagging question that I have is what exactly is next on the horizon for the church and the world at large? There are many events still to come, but what is next? 

Ezra Taft Benson once gave a talk entitled “Prepare for the days of Tribulation." 
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/1980/10/prepare-for-the-days-of-tribulation?lang=eng

Is the tribulation of the saints as prophesied in Revelation, Daniel, Isaiah, and other places in the scriptures what comes next, or are there still other things that will precede it?

I was at dinner with my sons over the weekend.  Now mind you they both have nothing to do with the Church any longer.  But we were talking about pandemics and such and how COVID had pretty much died down.  One son said he expects there will be another major pandemic in his life time.  I told him, unfortunately there are going to probably be many things such as that and much much more during his lifetime.  

My life is winding down and I don't expect to have too many more years on this earth.  But I feel sad for the things that my kids will have to go through.  I just wish they had not left the Church.

12 minutes ago, pam said:

I was at dinner with my sons over the weekend.  Now mind you they both have nothing to do with the Church any longer.  But we were talking about pandemics and such and how COVID had pretty much died down.  One son said he expects there will be another major pandemic in his life time.  I told him, unfortunately there are going to probably be many things such as that and much much more during his lifetime.  

My life is winding down and I don't expect to have too many more years on this earth.  But I feel sad for the things that my kids will have to go through.  I just wish they had not left the Church.

I think the Covid pandemic will turn out to be a drop in the bucket compared to the coming tribulation and destruction that precedes the Lord’s return in glory. If anything the recent pandemic should have been a wake up call for all of us to get our acts together, both temporarily and spiritually. 

I'm sorry to hear about your sons leaving the church. My oldest is 17 and I often worry about him. He’s a good kid, but I worry sometimes that he doesn’t have a real testimony. I would consider it to be a tragedy if he or any of his younger siblings left the church and went after the ways of the world. But we must remember, hard as it is sometimes, that we all have our agency and must learn by our own experience to choose the good from the evil for ourselves. 

Welcome to Third Hour, @Maverick!

11 hours ago, Maverick said:

I feel that as a people we are collectively way too immersed in Babylon and in a state where most of us can no longer bear the meat of the gospel, and often can scarcely handle the milk. I believe that there will need to be a major shake up within the church prior to the Second Coming to awaken us out of the deep spiritual sleep that so many of us find ourselves in.

I have long believed that the increasing extremes of wickedness and righteousness in our time is a blessing of sorts. I think there are some who currently choose evil out of confusion or deception. They think they are choosing love, support, tolerance, etc. And they currently think the Church and saints are on the side of hate. But as things get more extreme, reality will become increasingly clear. Only the truly wicked will remain in Satan's camp. Christ's sheep will realize they were tricked and will finally come to him. There may be few who will make that change, but without the extremes, they might remain deceived. With the extremes, the choice will be beyond clear. 

Welcome Maverick!

I only follow two signs of the times

1) Year without a rainbow.

2) Two prophets that prophecy and lie dead in Jerusalem for 3.5 days.

I saw a rainbow yesterday.

Its getting awful ugly out there folks.

There's a guy with a YouTube channel called Gospel Lessons. He has put out a number of videos on the last days and I've been impressed with both his knowledge but also he is not prone to hype or overreact to things like many of those people like to do. He put together a timeline that links to the different videos. I would suggest watching this short video first as it explains the timeline.

https://youtu.be/Who3kspKp74

Here is the link to the timeline. Have to access on a PC though, not really set up for phone. (The address in the YouTube video doesn't seem to work to get here.)

https://prezi.com/p/f71obv3xv2ts/lds-last-days-timeline/

41 minutes ago, zil2 said:

Welcome to Third Hour, @Maverick!

I have long believed that the increasing extremes of wickedness and righteousness in our time is a blessing of sorts. I think there are some who currently choose evil out of confusion or deception. They think they are choosing love, support, tolerance, etc. And they currently think the Church and saints are on the side of hate. But as things get more extreme, reality will become increasingly clear. Only the truly wicked will remain in Satan's camp. Christ's sheep will realize they were tricked and will finally come to him. There may be few who will make that change, but without the extremes, they might remain deceived. With the extremes, the choice will be beyond clear. 

I’m assuming that you are referring to the promised sifting that is to take place.

I agree with you that some (many in my opinion) are choosing evil because they are confused and deceived. It’s makes me cringe when I see active Latter-day Saints make comments on social media or in person that support the LGBTQ agenda and other social and moral issues that are incompatible with the gospel of Jesus Christ. I’m all for treating everyone with respect, dignity, and kindness, but I refuse to join with masses in calling evil good and good evil. I’m a firm believer in tough love and holding the line.

I agree that in the end the Lord’s sheep will hear his voice, but a question I have is whether the majority of the church membership will prove to be sheep or goats in the end. Only the Lord knows. 

4 minutes ago, laronius said:

There's a guy with a YouTube channel called Gospel Lessons. He has put out a number of videos on the last days and I've been impressed with both his knowledge but also he is not prone to hype or overreact to things like many of those people like to do. He put together a timeline that links to the different videos. I would suggest watching this short video first as it explains the timeline.

https://youtu.be/Who3kspKp74

Here is the link to the timeline. Have to access on a PC though, not really set up for phone. (The address in the YouTube video doesn't seem to work to get here.)

https://prezi.com/p/f71obv3xv2ts/lds-last-days-timeline/

I have watched a few of his videos before and have likewise been impressed with his gospel knowledge and even keel. 

I haven’t watched this one yet, but will definitely check it out, as well as the timeline on prezi. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, mikbone said:

Welcome Maverick!

I only follow two signs of the times

1) Year without a rainbow.

2) Two prophets that prophecy and lie dead in Jerusalem for 3.5 days.

I saw a rainbow yesterday.

Its getting awful ugly out there folks.

I agree that it’s getting awful ugly out there and of course we know that it will get far uglier yet.

The two signs you mentioned are definitely ones to watch for. My studies in the past have led me to believe that there will be other major events which happen first.

In regards to the prophecy about the rainbow (or lack thereof), I wonder if that means that the we will be in the middle of a worldwide famine in which there is absolutely no rain.

@Maverick

Greetings and welcome to the forum as an active participant.  I have often wondered myself about the last days as it is often a theme in scripture which means it is obviously important and a subject which we should be familiar with.  Perhaps the best understanding can come from the type and shadow that is given in the epoch of Noah and the flood.  Two ancient accounts I find interesting are references to Noah by Josephus and the Book of Enoch.

The Book of Enoch suggests that the destruction of the wicked came about primarily because of two reasons.  Enoch tells us that the “order of marriage” was changed that that children were conceived only for carnal purposes.  As far as wickedness goes – I believe these two notions are the reasons that G-d would intervene and destroy a civilization.

The other side of the coin, concerning the epoch of Noah, is that the righteous (covenant people) were separate from the wicked (non-covenant) and that the wicked stood afar off from the righteous.  I believe this means that the righteous were not allowed among the wicked and that the wicked refused to mingle or come to places where the righteous were predominantly strong – or in other words a “Zion” people.  I am of the mind that there will become a complete separation between the righteous and the wicked, in-so-much that the two will no longer mingle, even in families.  Obviously, this has not occurred yet.

I have thought that perhaps the final day will be on April 6th (the birth of Christ and the restoration of the Church).  Especially when April 6th falls on Easter.  This will not happen next until the year 2042.  I have also speculated that perhaps next April could end things.  This is speculation and one ought not ever risk anything important upon speculation.

I would make a comment concerning @mikbone  (who I closely follow and appreciate).  I speculate that the seeing the rainbow is different from the perceiving the sign of the rainbow and that the sign of the rainbow is changing from that of a rainbow appearing in the heavens after a storm to indicate peace to the sign of acceptance and support for the LGBTQ+ community.  Because of this shift in thinking of how one ought to live – I speculate that perhaps this may be our last year that there will be any peace between those that support traditional families and those that support LGBTQ+.  I am purchasing a season pass to ski at Alta next year and plan to purchase season passes for several more years.  At least until all the missionaries are called home.

The Traveler

2 hours ago, Maverick said:

I think the Covid pandemic will turn out to be a drop in the bucket compared to the coming tribulation and destruction that precedes the Lord’s return in glory. If anything the recent pandemic should have been a wake up call for all of us to get our acts together, both temporarily and spiritually. 

I'm sorry to hear about your sons leaving the church. My oldest is 17 and I often worry about him. He’s a good kid, but I worry sometimes that he doesn’t have a real testimony. I would consider it to be a tragedy if he or any of his younger siblings left the church and went after the ways of the world. But we must remember, hard as it is sometimes, that we all have our agency and must learn by our own experience to choose the good from the evil for ourselves. 

Oh I totally agree.  I can't even imagine what those in the future will have to endure.  Covid 19 was definitely just a small drip of water in the bucket.  

34 minutes ago, Maverick said:

In regards to the prophecy about the rainbow (or lack thereof), I wonder if that means that the we will be in the middle of a worldwide famine in which there is absolutely no rain.

Revelations 11:6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.

From the 2 prophets that die in Jerusalem.

And

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

I agree that in the end the Lord’s sheep will hear his voice, but a question I have is whether the majority of the church membership will prove to be sheep or goats in the end. Only the Lord knows. 

1. Fortunately for me, I can give the burden of figuring out the answer over to the Lord - it's his job, not mine, and I could never do it anyway.  In the meantime, I keep my covenants.

2. The 5 foolish virgins were members of the Church, so don't be surprised if it's an even split.

7 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yay speculation!   According to this random out-in-left-field take on things, Utah politics is a type and shadow of Israel politics.   Utah has 2 more governor's worth of time left before crap hits the fan.  

image.thumb.png.5470e886df997e592d8eb000174bc4b3.png

You're welcome.

Anyone who refutes the value of this list is a science denier.

53 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I also believe the lack of rain to be the reason for this.

As a supplement to the famine, fire and hail will destroy the crops of the earth. The hail is a major one I am watching out for as it cannot be deliberately caused by human intervention.

14 hours ago, Maverick said:

Hello everyone,

So my question to all of you as I begin this venture is if any of you know of any last days' timelines that you could recommend as a resource for me to use as I study this out and try to piece everything together? And if any of you have done a similar study yourselves, I would love to hear any insights you might have. Any recommendations or insights would be much appreciated.

Welcome Maverick. If you are interested in last day timelines an early Church Ensign highlights some events that will take place in Jerusalem before the Lord comes. I'm having a hard time finding it right now, but it's one of the articles between 1971-1977.

57 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yay speculation!   According to this random out-in-left-field take on things, Utah politics is a type and shadow of Israel politics.   Utah has 2 more governor's worth of time left before crap hits the fan.  

image.thumb.png.5470e886df997e592d8eb000174bc4b3.png

You're welcome.

Very interesting. May I ask where you got this?