Last Days' Timeline

Maverick

4 hours ago, Maverick said:

The only definitive timeframe that we have been given is that the Lord’s return is very near, even at the doors. 

I think we have different ideas on what constitutes "definitive".

reliable or complete
serving to define
providing a solution or final answer

32 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Very interesting. May I ask where you got this?

I got it from a random buddy, who often comes up with various things like this, and seems to have endless energy and zeal on these sorts of topics.  This latest project has replaced his "13 arrows on the great seal of the United States" timeline, which had predicted that Trump would win, but not finish his 2nd term.  I think before that he was part of the "callout by the prophet to go live in the rocky mountains in our RV's" crowd, but that's before I met him.

3 hours ago, mikbone said:

2) Two prophets that prophecy and lie dead in Jerusalem for 3.5 days.

This is what I keep watching for.  I know that we have at least 3 1/2 years.  That's how long they will be preaching at the wall.

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yay speculation!   According to this random out-in-left-field take on things, Utah politics is a type and shadow of Israel politics.   Utah has 2 more governor's worth of time left before crap hits the fan.

If we're hopping on the speculation train, don't the Ezra's Eagle folks say that there will only be 4 more US presidents total, or something like that?

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

@Maverick

Greetings and welcome to the forum as an active participant.  I have often wondered myself about the last days as it is often a theme in scripture which means it is obviously important and a subject which we should be familiar with.  Perhaps the best understanding can come from the type and shadow that is given in the epoch of Noah and the flood.  Two ancient accounts I find interesting are references to Noah by Josephus and the Book of Enoch.

The Book of Enoch suggests that the destruction of the wicked came about primarily because of two reasons.  Enoch tells us that the “order of marriage” was changed that that children were conceived only for carnal purposes.  As far as wickedness goes – I believe these two notions are the reasons that G-d would intervene and destroy a civilization.

The other side of the coin, concerning the epoch of Noah, is that the righteous (covenant people) were separate from the wicked (non-covenant) and that the wicked stood afar off from the righteous.  I believe this means that the righteous were not allowed among the wicked and that the wicked refused to mingle or come to places where the righteous were predominantly strong – or in other words a “Zion” people.  I am of the mind that there will become a complete separation between the righteous and the wicked, in-so-much that the two will no longer mingle, even in families.  Obviously, this has not occurred yet.

I have thought that perhaps the final day will be on April 6th (the birth of Christ and the restoration of the Church).  Especially when April 6th falls on Easter.  This will not happen next until the year 2042.  I have also speculated that perhaps next April could end things.  This is speculation and one ought not ever risk anything important upon speculation.

I would make a comment concerning @mikbone  (who I closely follow and appreciate).  I speculate that the seeing the rainbow is different from the perceiving the sign of the rainbow and that the sign of the rainbow is changing from that of a rainbow appearing in the heavens after a storm to indicate peace to the sign of acceptance and support for the LGBTQ+ community.  Because of this shift in thinking of how one ought to live – I speculate that perhaps this may be our last year that there will be any peace between those that support traditional families and those that support LGBTQ+.  I am purchasing a season pass to ski at Alta next year and plan to purchase season passes for several more years.  At least until all the missionaries are called home.

The Traveler

I completely agree that the wickedness in the days of Enoch and Noah, with the people of Enoch being protected and the wicked being destroyed by the great flood in Noah’s day, is a type and shadow of what is to come in the last days. When Christ told his disciples about the last days and the destruction of the wicked that precedes his coming in glory, he specifically said that it would be like the flood in the days of Noah. 

The Book of Mormon is something I would encourage anyone who is interested in what may happen at the last days to read.

It was written for the Nephites and Lamanites and also the Jews.  It was ALSO written for us and our time. 

The events around the Lord's birth and his death and resurrection as found in the Book of Mormon are a type and shadow of what our own last days could be like.  It even includes a millenial type time of peace and faithfulness.

If the wickedness foretold in the Book of Mormon are true, than we still have a little ways to go.  It doesn't sound like it will be pleasant to live through some of the events leading up to the second coming.

The Doctrine and Covenants also has quite a bit in regards to the second coming and what we should do in our own time. 

(edit:  Many read these two items, some even study them, but most do not go into great pondering,  praying, and thinking about the exact details).

Edited by JohnsonJones

47 minutes ago, pam said:

This is what I keep watching for.  I know that we have at least 3 1/2 years.  That's how long they will be preaching at the wall.

Two things strike me about this event.

First, when you look at modern weaponry, and the various ways nations will try to destroy Israel, particularly Jerusalem, those prophets will be using the Priesthood in miraculous ways. To some it may look like a jedi using the force. They will be stopping all manner of bullets, bombs, and missiles. Aircraft and tanks, chemical and biological warfare, etc...

Secondly, it will be remarkable to see how even then, people will refuse to turn to the Lord, and accept those men as His prophets. They will be so rooted in evil, and so full of pride, that they won't care about possibly being wrong, and will just want to see them dead above all else.

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

When Christ told his disciples about the last days and the destruction of the wicked that precedes his coming in glory, he specifically said that it would be like the flood in the days of Noah. 

If I understand what you are saying, then the scripture in question doesn't quite say that:

Joseph Smith - Matthew 1

40 But of that day, and hour, no one knoweth; no, not the angels of God in heaven, but my Father only.

41 But as it was in the days of Noah, so it shall be also at the coming of the Son of Man;

42 For it shall be with them, as it was in the days which were before the flood; for until the day that Noah entered into the ark they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage;

43 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of Man be.

Two main points here:

1. The world will not be expecting it (v 40 and 43).

2. The world will be going about its usual business as if it were just another day (v42).

2 hours ago, pam said:

There are numerous catastrophic AND miraculous events that occur before this one. 

Again, The Coming of the Lord goes into some detail about the majority of the events that are coming.

59 minutes ago, zil2 said:

If I understand what you are saying, then the scripture in question doesn't quite say that:

Joseph Smith - Matthew 1

Two main points here:

2. The world will be going about its usual business as if it were just another day (v42).

I agree with the two points you mentioned, but I also believe that there are some additional points which support what I was saying about Christ referring to the wicked majority being destroyed suddenly, while the righteous minority are miraculously spared like in the days of Noah and the flood. 

Notice how in JS-Matthew (JST of Matthew 24) verse 42 refers to the flood coming suddenly and taking away all of the wicked, where it says:

43 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of Man be.

We know that them being taken all away refers to their sudden destruction. The same teachings of Christ about the last days to his disciples from Matthew 24 is also recorded in Luke 17, which provides some additional information. I will quote from JST Luke 17.

26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.
27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;
29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.
31 In that day, the disciple who shall be on the housetop and his stuff in the house, let him not come down to take it away; and he who is in the field, let him likewise not return back.
32 Remember Lot’s wife.
33 Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.
34 I tell you, in that night there shall be two in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left. Two shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
35 Two shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
36 And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord, shall they be taken?
37 And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is gathered, or in other words, whithersoever the saints are gathered, thither will the eagles be gathered together, or thither will the remainder be gathered together.
38 This he spake, signifying the gathering of his saints, and of angels descending and gathering the remainder unto them, the one from the bed, the other from the grinding, and the other from the field, whithersoever he listeth.
39 For verily, there shall be new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
40 And there shall be no unclean thing; for the earth becoming old, even as a garment, having waxed in corruption, wherefore, it vanisheth away; and the footstool remaineth sanctified, cleansed from all sin.

I believe that account in Luke 17 makes it clear that the Savior is comparing the sudden destruction of the wicked prior to his Second Coming with the destruction of the wicked by the great flood in Noah's day and the sudden destruction of the wicked by fire in Sodom in Lot's day. In both cases the wicked majority were suddenly completely destroyed, while the small righteous minority was miraculously spared. 

55 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

There are numerous catastrophic AND miraculous events that occur before this one. 

Again, The Coming of the Lord goes into some detail about the majority of the events that are coming.

I definitely need to get the book.  This subject is one that really interest me.  I'm glad it was brought up.

2 hours ago, zil2 said:

Joseph Smith - Matthew 1

Two main points here:

Yet I can see the similarities.  Noah warned the people and they didn't believe him or they didn't heed his warning.  So they went about their business like nothing was happening or going to happen and then the rains started.  They probably thought it was just the usual thunderstorm going through.  But we know it wasn't.  We have been warned and many will not believe it or will fail to heed the warning.  They will go about their regular business.  So yes...  I see the similarities from that time with Noah to the time Christ will come again.

Has anyone ever read the Left Behind Series?  While it was written with the mainstream Christian beliefs concerning the rapture I thought it was an excellent series.  Fictional mixed in with biblical of the last 7 years.  It did go right along with the Bible and revelation.  

8 minutes ago, pam said:

Yet I can see the similarities.  Noah warned the people and they didn't believe him or they didn't heed his warning.  So they went about their business like nothing was happening or going to happen and then the rains started.  They probably thought it was just the usual thunderstorm going through.  But we know it wasn't.  We have been warned and many will not believe it or will fail to heed the warning.  They will go about their regular business.  So yes...  I see the similarities from that time with Noah to the time Christ will come again.

Yes.

So go get your food storage.  You have been warned by prophets and apostles.

7 minutes ago, pam said:

Has anyone ever read the Left Behind Series?  While it was written with the mainstream Christian beliefs concerning the rapture I thought it was an excellent series.  Fictional mixed in with biblical of the last 7 years.  It did go right along with the Bible and revelation.  

I read the first one. It was definitely not as bad as I had been led to believe it would be.

Probably not really relevant, but I seem to remember hearing that Dallas Jenkins of The Chosen is the author's son.

47 minutes ago, Vort said:
1 hour ago, pam said:

Left Behind

I seem to recall talking to my children about this and referring to it as Sinistral Buttock. My children have grown up having to put up with that sort of thing.

Everyone knows: The west butt is the best butt.

1 hour ago, SilentOne said:

I read the first one. It was definitely not as bad as I had been led to believe it would be.

Probably not really relevant, but I seem to remember hearing that Dallas Jenkins of The Chosen is the author's son.

Dallas Jenkins is his son.  Jerry B. Jenkins was one of the authors of the series.

One particular sign that I've been interested in, both for what it means but also as a pretty good mile marker, is the following:

D&C 24 Behold, vengeance cometh speedily upon the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord. 25 And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth, saith the Lord; 26 First among those among you, saith the Lord, who have professed to know my name and have not known me, and have blasphemed against me in the midst of my house, saith the Lord

I've heard various interpretations of what the Lord means by "my house." Some say it is specifically the temples, others the Church in general and yet others to the United States or even the Promised Lands in general. I'd be curious to know other people's interpretation and what you think it means.

But regardless, it seems to be a pretty significant milestone and a lead into much of what we might refer to as the "scary" signs of the last days.