Cancel Culture claims a new victim: Chic Fil-A

Guest Godless

Meh, phooey.  I'm not a fan of sensation-peddling clickbait, outrage journalism, and hate pr0n.  

@Godless, I see you're putting some from the right.   That's ok.  Just so we're all aware there's absolutely no shortage of similar things on the left.  We just finished a thread about how the mantra "you can either have a dead son or a living daughter" has permeated our medical, educational, and legislative institutions.

And if anyone is considering falling for the bait, I'd urge them to apply similar standards to stuff like this, before they express their outrage.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/1993/10/equality-through-diversity?lang=eng

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/president-nelson-shares-social-post-encouraging-understanding-and-civility

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics/diversity-and-unity?lang=eng

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2019/07/the-blessings-of-diversity?lang=eng

Edited by NeuroTypical

Guest Godless
4 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Meh, phooey.  I'm not a fan of sensation-peddling clickbait, outrage journalism, and hate pr0n.  

@Godless, I see you're putting some from the right.   That's ok.  Just so we're all aware there's absolutely no shortage of similar things on the left.

Oh, I'm fully aware. This one just struck me as amusing considering how long and how loudly the left has been anti-CFA. And the statements that are quoted from this new guy seem like they should be very.... uncontroversial. And yes, everything he said is 100% in line with LDS teachings. I don't necessarily expect a lot of outrage from LDS conservatives on this one.

On 5/30/2023 at 6:48 PM, Godless said:

Once again, you're confusing "Cancelling" with "Boycotts".

On 5/30/2023 at 6:04 PM, Godless said:

Oh, I'm fully aware. This one just struck me as amusing considering how long and how loudly the left has been anti-CFA. And the statements that are quoted from this new guy seem like they should be very.... uncontroversial. And yes, everything he said is 100% in line with LDS teachings. I don't necessarily expect a lot of outrage from LDS conservatives on this one.

This won't go the way Bud Light or Target went in their 'boycotts.' 

Chik-fil-a is much more centered in Christian groups and has far more favorable onlookings than either of the other two.  In addition, this position and person has been with the company since at least 2021 from what I understand.  It's not a recent development.   I don't think this is going anywhere.

I feel it is ONLY being pushed by a few on the left BECAUSE THEY want to make it into some sort of sensation so they can point the finger and say..."hey...look...the right can't even know what companies are friendly to them and which ones are not!"

In addition, the comments being pointed out from the Company do not seem to focus on the normal targets the enrage the far right who have protested (normally something specifically focused on LGBTQ+, with Transgendered individuals or items creating the focus for the boycott in general).

It's a few of the extreme far right who have some impact (but not to the degree to control the entire boycott movement that boycotted Budlight and Target) that have made a comment or two...but it is a far cry from becoming a movement thus far (from what I've seen).

The more ironic is that those who are on the far left cannot tell the difference between a criticism from the minority of the extreme far right from a more popoular movement to boycott by the majority of the far right (note, not just the extreme far right).

If it becomes a major boycott I'll eat my words, but right now, I don't see that happening.  Of course, I'm more in the middle (neither far left nor far right, at least how I view myself), but I don't think it's the sensational thing that some on the left are trying to make it out to be.

Edited by JohnsonJones

Guest Godless
3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Once again, you're confusing "Cancelling" with "Boycotts".

14 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

This won't go the way Bud Light or Target went in their 'boycotts.' 

Chik-fil-a is much more centered in Christian groups and has far more favorable onlookings than either of the other two.  In addition, this position and person has been with the company since at least 2021 from what I understand.  It's not a recent development.   I don't think this is going anywhere.

I feel it is ONLY being pushed by a few on the left BECAUSE THEY want to make it into some sort of sensation so they can point the finger and say..."hey...look...the right can't even know what companies are friendly to them and which ones are not!"

In addition, the comments being pointed out from the Company do not seem to focus on the normal targets the enrage the far right who have protested (normally something specifically focused on LGBTQ+, with Transgendered individuals or items creating the focus for the boycott in general).

It's a few of the extreme far right who have some impact (but not to the degree to control the entire boycott movement that boycotted Budlight and Target) that have made a comment or two...but it is a far cry from becoming a movement thus far (from what I've seen).

The more ironic is that those who are on the far left cannot tell the difference between a criticism from the minority of the extreme far right from a more popoular movement to boycott by the majority of the far right (note, not just the extreme far right).

If it becomes a major boycott I'll eat my words, but right now, I don't see that happening.  Of course, I'm more in the middle (neither far left nor far right, at least how I view myself), but I don't think it's the sensational thing that some on the left are trying to make it out to be.

Actually, the fact that it's far right personalities like Charlie Kirk and Andrew Torba (and his horde of Nazis) who are amplifying this issue is the reason why I categorized it as cancel culture rather than a boycott. I think you're right, most conservatives won't be phased by this. But "most conservatives" aren't the ones making bomb threats against ABI facilities or smashing Target displays.

Guest Godless
9 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

This “boycott” will go nowhere. The difference between Bud/Target and Chick Fil A is massive. But it does fascinate me that the hard left and right will now boycott the same thing for different reasons. Politics truly does make strange bedfellows. 

Yep, like how people on both sides boycott Nike, but they seem to be doing fine.

22 minutes ago, Godless said:

Yep, like how people on both sides boycott Nike, but they seem to be doing fine.

Correct. It’s hard to boycott every company out there that promotes ideas you disagree with. Especially because people won’t boycott things that really inconveniences them. Ask them this-will you boycott your Samsung or Apple phone? They are woke too. What about your car? They support causes you’d cringe at. 

It’s a bit like having a hunger strike and still eating bread and water. You’ll convince yourself and your friends who already agree with you. The rest of us will remain skeptical. 

Edited by LDSGator