Eating out – and in-laws

Traveler

Perhaps this should be two topics, but I have put them together.  To begin with I have always had a problem with my in-laws.  It began at the wedding reception for my wife and I.   I realize that when it comes to weddings no one in this world cares about the groom’s ideas.  Because of circumstance, I paid for some things that are traditionally paid for by the bride and family.  I paid for the photographer.  At one point during the reception the in-laws asked for a family picture.  I was a little surprised that I (the husband of their daughter) was not considered to be part of their family.   I was charged extra for their family picture.  After 50 years, I and all other in-laws are still not considered family.

On occasions my wife and I will eat out.  My wife especially likes eating out.  I grew up with the attitude that you eat what is served and you do not complain.  Often, I bring my own water, so I do not have to wait to be served.  When eating out the portions are too much for one person, so my wife and I always share a meal.  It is not uncommon for us to share a hamburger.   I always allow my wife to pick from the menu because I really do not care what we are served – I will eat it (perhaps with a few exceptions that my wife will not eat either).

Often, we go out to eat with members of my wife’s family (my in-laws).  For me it is a little annoying because there is always something someone complains about.  Most of the complaining is to our server.  Recently, we went to a Mexican restaurant, which always have extra large portions.  My wife and I ordered a dinner for one for us to split.  The rest ordered dinners for themselves.  The wife and I had enough leftovers for more than another meal, so we got a to-go-box.  None of the other had much of any leftovers.  For obvious reasons my wife and I are the smallest of the group.

Beyond the regular complaining it was decided that I (who had the least to eat) should eat more.  Sometimes I am of the mind that if someone opens a door I ought to be able to walk through it.  So, I responded with, “I would rather not be required to weigh myself on a Richter scale.”

The good thing is, that for the immediate future, it looks like I will be eating out less with my in-laws.

The Traveler

26 minutes ago, Traveler said:

For me it is a little annoying because there is always something someone complains about.

Is it me, or was your whole post complaining? ;)  (Intended as gentle ribbing, @Traveler!)

Sorry your relationship with your in-laws is less than it could be.  Entering into an already established group can be difficult indeed.

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

Beyond the regular complaining it was decided that I (who had the least to eat) should eat more.  [...]  So, I responded with, “I would rather not be required to weigh myself on a Richter scale.”

The good thing is, that for the immediate future, it looks like I will be eating out less with my in-laws.

Some accidents are happy accidents.

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

Eating out – and in-laws

You really shouldn't be eating out-laws, regardless what crime they've committed.   And I can't imagine why you would even consider eating your in-laws.  You must have a very different relationship with them than I had with mine.

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

You really shouldn't be eating out-laws, regardless what crime they've committed.   And I can't imagine why you would even consider eating your in-laws.  You must have a very different relationship with them than I had with mine.

That’s awesome. Lol!!! 

22 hours ago, zil2 said:

Is it me, or was your whole post complaining? ;)  (Intended as gentle ribbing, @Traveler!)

Sorry your relationship with your in-laws is less than it could be.  Entering into an already established group can be difficult indeed.

Point well made - thank you.

The Traveler