Marine nuclear power explanation for enlisted recruits

Vort

15 minutes ago, laronius said:

As a nuclear propulsion novice, shouldn't the arrow be going from sparky sparky to roundy roundy or is the turbine actually steam driven?

Steam probably directly runs propeller and a turbine to generate electricity.  Likely some big gears and batteries involved.

Edited by mikbone

5 hours ago, laronius said:

As a nuclear propulsion novice, shouldn't the arrow be going from sparky sparky to roundy roundy or is the turbine actually steam driven?

My assumption as a non-sailor non-military non-nuclear-plant-operator non-physicist is that you get far better efficiency using the steam from the reactor to drive propellor turbines directly than to drive generators to create electricity which you then use to drive electric motors to turn the props. There are batteries and generators on board, of course, and I would guess that things are set up to allow much more quiet running with electric motors. But again, non-etc.

24 minutes ago, Vort said:

My assumption as a non-sailor non-military non-nuclear-plant-operator non-physicist is that you get far better efficiency using the steam from the reactor to drive propellor turbines directly than to drive generators to create electricity which you then use to drive electric motors to turn the props. There are batteries and generators on board, of course, and I would guess that things are set up to allow much more quiet running with electric motors. But again, non-etc.

Random factoid:  

With the big ocean liners of the early-to-mid 20th century:  the British and Germans generally had steam turbines (more or less) directly linked to the propeller shafts.  The French were generally less comfortable machining the large reduction gears necessary to such a setup, with the degree of precision required; so they opted to have the turbines drive generators which then powered electric motors that turned the propellers.  It was reportedly a more fuel-efficient design—when it wasn’t breaking down. 

Edited by Just_A_Guy