Dose Anyone Know How To Censor Music?

REX_FERAL

The blasted CD case of linkin parks didnt have that parental advisory thing on the bottom so i assumed they wouldnt say the F word in their songs..........

overall i learned not to trust anything thats made of plastic... so how would i clean or blank out the words? i just want to do what the radio dose :D i think the beep would annoy me.... for if i get annoyed i want to break something electronicy because it makes me happy :D specially computers. but yah, where would i go to get these songs cleaned? i been looking for a download on the internet (legal or not, i already bought the songs so its not a bad thing what i attempted) and no luck. any help will be apriecated. and sorry for bad grammer, spelling, and me not showing often :lol:

The blasted CD case of linkin parks didnt have that parental advisory thing on the bottom so i assumed they wouldnt say the F word in their songs..........

overall i learned not to trust anything thats made of plastic... so how would i clean or blank out the words? i just want to do what the radio dose :D i think the beep would annoy me.... for if i get annoyed i want to break something electronicy because it makes me happy :D specially computers. but yah, where would i go to get these songs cleaned? i been looking for a download on the internet (legal or not, i already bought the songs so its not a bad thing what i attempted) and no luck. any help will be apriecated. and sorry for bad grammer, spelling, and me not showing often :lol:

Man w/o recking the cd I have no clue. Best bet would 2b2 get the one with it already taken out. The words that is. I'm sure someone has a way of doing it I just don't know how....Sorry

Some cd's are made especially with censors.Otherwise I don't think you can cencor it wihout maybe the right equipment....

people have already recommended wal-mart so give that a shot. There might be other stores that do the same thing.

You can also rip them to your computer (mp3's) and edit them. There are some programs. The only problem with that is then it sounds kinda funnyl

thats alright >_> i found out walmart removes the "parental advisory" label on all CD's INCLUDING slip knots! so we are returning the CD and getting one at circut city >_>

The label is not there because the explicit stuff is supposedly removed from all CDs sold there.

I bought LP's latest there and all the F-bombs were removed, but enough remained that the wife and kids still knew what bomb was being dropped. D'oh!

Basically, use software to copy the offending track(s) to the PC then use free software such as Audactiy at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/ to edit out the bits you don't want. Then copy the tracks to a CD. I have only done it once, so I am no expert, but it does work. The only drawback may be on what you want to play the new CD on as to whether or not it will play the format they are copied in.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a different perspective (and this is not to judge anybody - it's just my view):

If I buy a CD where the naughty words are bleeped out, my mind tends to fill the blank spaces or the bleeped areas with the original words. It's not an intentional thing; some songs are just written with profanity in the "flow," and taking out one word does not change the message.

I try to avoid "cleaned up" versions because an edit can call the profanity to mind with as much effect as the original. Better to choose different, music that doesn't require bleeping - there's enough of it available.

• 1 year later...

I've tried two different ways of dealing with music with offensive lyrics.

Method# 1

I broke the CDs into pieces and put them in a dumpster. Even the ones I bought in Canada or special ordered and have never been able to replace.

Method# 2

I used software to edit the music in digital format and then burned it back on to CD.

I found that the only workable solution for me was method# 2. Having a song in my CD collection, I can go for very long periods of time without feeling the desire to listen to it. Almost any song I even remotely like, if I don't have it, will constantly play in my mind and I become driven to get it and listen to it repeatedly. Simply throwing away an entire CD because of one swear word in one song made me feel like there was a hole in me.

I use a program called Cool Edit 2000. The developer was eventually bought by another, and the program was renamed. I expect it probably costs a bit more than I paid for Cool Edit. Explaining how to edit a song using Cool Edit (which is similar to how it's done in other digital audio editing programs I've tried) would be difficult to do here. There are websites out there where you can find how-to guides on stuff like this. But I can tell you a bit more about how it works, in general.

First, you take a song in digital format. So you'd have to rip it to your computer. You'd want to go with .mp3 format if possible. Any other format and you'll likely have to download a file called a "codec", to help your editing program read the audio file, unless the program you use has native support for it. Next, you open the audio file with your editing program, and they will always give you a wave form to look at in addition to hearing the audio file. The waveform (kind of looks like the possible results from a lie detector test given to a certain former President who lied to a grand jury under oath) can help you visuallly see the drum beats, and even the riffs in the song. Listen to the song with the waveform zoomed in enough that you can see fluctuations in the waveform that are consistent with sounds heard in the song. When you get to a swear word, likely, you'll be able to see enough fluctuation that you can basically "see the swear word". It might take practice, but it gets easier. Cool Edit allows you to do what is called "Vocal Cut", which essentially takes out the vocals and leaves in everything else. It doesn't always work though. It depends on how the song was recorded, how many microphones were used, which one picked up the vocals, etc. Sometimes it works like a charm, sometimes it has virtually no effect. In that case, I just select "silence" instead, and the section I'm editing is simply turned into silence. Better a second of silence in a song than a swear word, I say.

The end result is that I have a proper version of a song that would be stuck in my head. I can listen to the fixed version I have, get tired of the song, and then it's not an issue anymore.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to edit movies on my computer. I'm having mixed levels of success. If anyone ever figures out how to do it without the video and audio coming out of synchronization, I'd love to know.