Word Of Wisdom

soc_wker

I was reading through this post for curiosity's sake and was struck with a slight epiphany. Doesn't it seem a little ridiculous to have a thread that goes on for 10 pages detailing whether green tea is or is not against the doctrine of the church with posts about caffeine content in chocolate bars, references to conflicting doctrine, scripture quotes, etc.? Doesn't that sound like something a Pharisee would be chatting about in Jesus' time? ("Say, Silas, how many steps was I limited to today? 100? Shoot, go on without me!")

I thought Jesus did away with all this garbage in the New Testament with the Sermon on the Mount - the overarching principle is to honor the spirit over the letter. I think the church would be a much better institution if people followed Christ's doctrines rather than the philsophies of men (which we all are btw).

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ael, you've been the most helpful so far! That's great information, especially the whole "tisane" thing.

But, "Medicinal values" or "Medicines" I still don't think they should be consumed on a regular basis unless you need it... Such as your Red Raspberry leaf.

And, I still do like actual medicine, myself. Though I'm sure someone could tell me certain herbs/foods that could help my moods and such, I doubt they can reproduce the effect of my Lamotrigine.

Bipolar? If it can help, then yes. ;)

Do you know what Apostle BH Roberts was taking?

• 1 year later...

My two cents...

I agree with you here that, even though green tea is against the WoW, as long as you are not making a habit of it and it is being used for medicinal purposes I don't think that you should be expected to confess it in your TR interview.

I've had a couple situations. I was buying Full Throttle for awhile when I had insomnia and couldn't get up in the morning, and it was helping me wake up. My doctor said it was a good idea and I only drank it long enough to get my biological clock straightened out. Another situation, prior to my baptism I had an anxiety/depression condition and had to see a psychiatrist for awhile. He thought it would be a good idea if I had a cigar at night out on the patio to calm my nerves and relax me. It helped and I think that if it happened again and a psychiatrist told me to do that I don't think it would be breaking the WoW as long as I only did it once in awhile to help my nerves and not make a habit of it. I think the FP message quoted in the previous post does a good job of describing how we should use substances. Only for our benefit and not as a habit.

IMHO, the WoW was given to keep conspiring men in the last days from ensnaring us in addiction. (See D&C 89:4) The tobacco companies that make cigarettes and add things to the product to get people addicted are a good example of this. This goes for soft drinks, coffee, and tea as well.

One example of alchohol used for medicinal purposes may be Nyquil and certain cough syrups. IMHO, the main thing is that we do not get addicted to anything or use it "recreationally."

#1 - I think the cigar every once in a while would be frowned upon.

#2 - What about decaffeinated green tea extract in capsule form?

Pure Encapsulations

Green Tea extract (decaffeinated)

Powerful antioxidant protection

This decaffeinated green tea extract from Japan is a 100:1 herbal extract containing catechins, a class of powerful antioxidant compounds known as polyphenols. It contains a minimum of 90% catechins, with epigallocatechin gallate, the most powerful catechin, making up a minimum of 70% of the content.

This concentrated extract contains a high epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) content, providing important antioxidant support for all cells in the body.

Bipolar? If it can help, then yes. ;)

Do you know what Apostle BH Roberts was taking?

Uhhh Hemi do you realize you are responding to a post from March of 2008 to someone who is no longer a member of this site? :P

Ooh, if taken literally then, I interpret the WoW from my own brief look, I can drink beer - moderately, and I shouldn't drink any drink that is hot, whether it is caffeinated or decaffeinated tea or coffee or even hot chocolate or fruit tea. But that would be my interpretation.

From the sarcasm in your response, I think you know what's right and what's not right. So follow that.

I'm closing this thread. This thread was started in 2007 and responses are to people who posted in 2008. Many are no longer members of the site.