Strange Conestoga Wagons

Guest JLHyde

Well, speaking of "strange", I chatted with a friend, recently, who still has a conestoga wagon in his barn: because he will "need" it, when the people are commanded to gather down in Western Missouri!

(As though he will have to get there by only two means: in an old pioneer wagon, or on foot!)

Talk about your "sense of weird"!

P.S: I think that "Pioneer-Day Celebration" is a strange little traditional custom, too! Like how can a group of Refugees be dubbed "Pioneers", at one-and-the-same time?

It would be like the astronauts saying "We boldly--with a gun to our heads--go where no man has gone, before."

One cannot be "forced out" (of Illinois, 1845-46) and still claim the "luxury" of being Pioneers, like the Lewis & Clark Expeditionary Party...and the 49'ers...and the Donner Party....and others, who went West because they wanted to, instead of being forced in that direction.

So, that is why I don't observe that holiday.

When they change it to Refugee Day, I might think about it.

While I'm inclined to agree with you about the oddity of keeping a Conestoga wagon (and without the oxen to pull it?), I have to disagree with you about the pioneer/refugee dichotomy.

The Mormons were refugees in Iowa. When they decided to take proactive action and remove to the Wasatch Mountains and Salt Lake Basin, they ceased being victims and once again became masters of their own destiny.

When the United States government- which had failed so miserably to protect their Constitutional rights- came to them with hat in hand asking for troops, the Mormons ceased being victims.

When the Mormons who made it to Salt Lake broke ground (and plows) to plant thier first crops and build thier first homes, they were not a beaten, broken minority, but rather were the hardy breed who set out to conquer a vast and untamed wilderness by the sweat of their brow, the strength of the arms, and the power of their ingenuity.

That is hardly the definition of a "refugee"- but is most assuredly the definition of a "pioneer".

Well, speaking of "strange", I chatted with a friend, recently, who still has a conestoga wagon in his barn: because he will "need" it, when the people are commanded to gather down in Western Missouri!

Might not be so weird, I understand all the buses at Murdock Travel have been booked in advance for the back to Missouri Trek. That the conestoga wagon could always be hitched to the SUV. :lol:

In the meantime, think of the Lady of the Salt Lake lifting her liahona and urging the tired, poor and huddled masses to her shores.